Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Help me make this man understand...

Sorry to hijack, but paranoia has always ruled my life.

Does anyone notice he has the knowledge of a seasoned Vet on this forum? He knows all the proper terms and etiquette of this forum. He knows and says what everyone wants to hear, and even uses the "/end rant" like most of us. Has all the same hobbies as us. Ok sure, he could of lurked for months before saying anything, but if he did why ask the silly n00b questions? He should have known all the answers to his questions. Go back and read from the first post to the last. No one picks it up this quick. None of it makes sense. I'm calling shenanigans. Something is not right here. Who can you think of who has been banned with the same knoladge as this guy? :thinking:

LOL, TJ since when has post count ever had anything to do with knowledge? I see it all the time in the other forums I've been on. There are seasoned vets here who act like kids and never engage in any serious electrical or optical DIY discussions, and I'm sure there are lurkers who have more knowledge and bigger collections than anyone here too. Out of all the laser hobbyists in the world I'd bet only about half engage in social networking, or if they do it'll just be to buy and sell.

-Tony

He knows how to edit, and double quote posts too. He maybe from another forum trying to backdoor his way in. Like Timelord, or one of those guys. I dont buy the act for one minute.

Um. I'm a noob here as well, yet I have almost two decades of laser experience. Granted it's with gas lasers, not diodes, but it still lets me jump into threads without asking many questions on the mechanics behind what's being discussed. I'm also fairly well versed on forum usage, having used various ones for many years.. Does this make me some evil previously banned user as well? :na:

Sorry to hijack, but paranoia has always ruled my life.

Does anyone notice he has the knowledge of a seasoned Vet on this forum? He knows all the proper terms and etiquette of this forum. He knows and says what everyone wants to hear, and even uses the "/end rant" like most of us. Has all the same hobbies as us. Ok sure, he could of lurked for months before saying anything, but if he did why ask the silly n00b questions? He should have known all the answers to his questions. Go back and read from the first post to the last. No one picks it up this quick. None of it makes sense. I'm calling shenanigans. Something is not right here. Who can you think of who has been banned with the same knoladge as this guy? :thinking:

Yes I agree that you're paranoid :tinfoil: but I guess that's a good thing when it comes to lasers.

daguin

Um. I'm a noob here as well, yet I have almost two decades of laser experience. Granted it's with gas lasers, not diodes, but it still lets me jump into threads without asking many questions on the mechanics behind what's being discussed. I'm also fairly well versed on forum usage, having used various ones for many years.. Does this make me some evil previously banned user as well? :na:

I think part of the problem with this one is the dissonance between his apparent knowledge base and the question he posed.

He is articulate and knowledgeable about the dangers of both lasers and HV. Yet he asks the forum to help him figure out how to convince his own brother that the laser is too dangerous for his nephew.

Could you see yourself in this situation actually asking this group of people what to do?

Those two concepts fly in the face of each other.

Peace,
dave

I think part of the problem with this one is the dissonance between his apparent knowledge base and the question he posed.

He is articulate and knowledgeable about the dangers of both lasers and HV. Yet he asks the forum to help him figure out how to convince his own brother that the laser is too dangerous for his nephew.

Could you see yourself in this situation actually asking this group of people what to do?

Those two concepts fly in the face of each other.

Peace,
dave

Actually, I can. While I tend to be fairly good with technical things, I SUCK at dealing with, and communicating effectively, with people. At least face to face. I also doubt i'm the only one on the planet with that problem either. So no, I saw nothing odd about someone asking how to deal with something social related. I've had to myself on more than a few occasions.

Also, if his brother is anywhere near as hard headed as mine, convincing him of anything would likely not be an easy proposition either.

Last edited:

daguin

Actually, I can. While I tend to be fairly good with technical things, I SUCK at dealing with, and communicating effectively, with people. At least face to face. I also doubt i'm the only one on the planet with that problem either. So no, I saw nothing odd about someone asking how to deal with something social related. I've had to myself on more than a few occasions.

Also, if his brother is anywhere near as hard headed as mine, convincing him of anything would likely not be an easy proposition either.

I guess it is another example of the tendency to believe that other people are basically like ourselves. My field is communication. I cannot imagine being this erudite about the dangers and not being able to articulate it.

Peace,
dave

ive seen a show about american parents giving weapon to their kids.. that was odd, one of the kid was aim-ing at someone and didint realise it.

Oh I could get the message across.. However, I generally lack.. er.. patience and tact.. when dealing with people acting stupidly. I also have a bad tendency of speaking my mind and pointing out the stupidity of said people's actions. Most people don't take this well and take it the wrong way even when i'm trying to be helpful. So like I said, sometimes it's just best to ask others opinions on how to deal with certain things when you know your normal way of communication would just lead to unnecessarily problems.

With me, on forums this isn't so much of a problem, as I usually have a chance to explain myself after the fact to show I wasn't trying to just be an ass for the hell of it.. Face to face encounters usually yield no such second chance.. So I generally just try to keep my mount shut around people I don't really know.

@Fox. Keep in mind I've been on this forum just about everyday for 18 months. I know how new people react here, regardless if they are n00bs, or educated people trying to join the forum to further their education. This guy is not new to the hobby. He may not have been part of this forum, but he can be from other forums. Which is fine, if he was honest about it. But its just all to neat, and formulated to be as its presented.

I do lurk this sight occasionally

This alone is clearly BS, by the facts presented earlier.

Some reasons why an alias is needed..

1.There are people on other forum that dont want to be associated with this forum. PL comes to mind.
2. Some older members left on bad term early in LPF history.
3. Could be a banned member returning.
4. Could be someone who wants to dissociate themselves from their other account for whatever reason.

Yeah some people dont care, but keep in mind its a lie. People that know Dave, Jerry, myself and others know we dont like that. If he turns out to be someone I described, then the whole conversation on this thread was a manipulated debate. I dont know about you, but that would piss me off, having my time wasted, and being played like a fiddle.

I'm done. If you dont believe me its cool, but my tract record is very solid. This whole thread smells of BS.

Tabish

Get the kid a 20mW green for like less than $20 of dealextreme.

@Fox. Keep in mind I've been on this forum just about everyday for 18 months. I know how new people react here, regardless if they are n00bs, or educated people trying to join the forum to further their education. This guy is not new to the hobby. He may not have been part of this forum, but he can be from other forums. Which is fine, if he was honest about it. But its just all to neat, and formulated to be as its presented.

This alone is clearly BS, by the facts presented earlier.

Some reasons why an alias is needed..

1.There are people on other forum that dont want to be associated with this forum. PL comes to mind.
2. Some older members left on bad term early in LPF history.
3. Could be a banned member returning.
4. Could be someone who wants to dissociate themselves from their other account for whatever reason.

Yeah some people dont care, but keep in mind its a lie. People that know Dave, Jerry, myself and others know we dont like that. If he turns out to be someone I described, then the whole conversation on this thread was a manipulated debate. I dont know about you, but that would piss me off, having my time wasted, and being played like a fiddle.

I'm done. If you dont believe me its cool, but my tract record is very solid. This whole thread smells of BS.

/thread
:tinfoil:

(im prolly gonna be hated for saying this... but)
I have noticed that A Lot of people here are easily trold by "new" members.
Especially in the last few months.
I honestly think OP is a sock

This is a trian
traint.jpg

:na:

If the OP is for real, which I'm highly suspicious of, doesn't the right brain communicate with the left? If on the one hand he knows it's a potentially hazardous device, where is the controversy? You just don't hand it over under those conditions period. A brother or kid jumping up and down upset because they can't have it back, is no excuse for giving in. A quick explanation and that's it, make haste to leave the area with the laser, what's so complicated about that?

have you guys noticed that since the drama in this thread started that the OP has completely vanished. very fishy.

michael

on this thread you are right--but he has 5 posts two days ago--click 'find other posts' if you want to read them

if somebody is sure who he is-- why not tell us?

he says he lives in louisana...and he has an interest in arms-air guns-etc

i see lots of angst about lpf on the 'other' forums but seldom a mention of them here-(maybe I need to look deeper but no time for that!)-but all the probs about that happened before I joined so I pass no judgment on this whatsoever--I like all the laser forums--the drama here???...not so much

Last edited: