Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

got my sf-aw210 up and running

Mohr ---

I got a 405G1 lens off ebay and made a JayRob style mount last night on my lathe. With all the time and pissing around, I lost money over buying the assembly from Jay. I enjoyed running my lathe and keeping my old mind active, but if my time is worth POOP, I just enjoyed the hobby.
The lens assembly is worth it.

Mike

and it won't work to just buy the bare lens and pop it into the plastic acrylic lens nut?

jayrob

Good question...

Yes, you might be able to get that to work, but the plastic lens nut would need to be modified to fit the 405-G-1 glass lens...

Then you would not have the length needed for the focus ring to be on there. But you could probably get it to thread deep enough for focus without the focus ring installed.

Worst case, I could sell you the modified AixiZ nut and custom spacer with retaining ring and focus ring for $30 bucks.
Jay

How did this turn into a Buy, Sell, Trade thread?  ::)

Sorry to vent but all your info turns into a sales pitch one way or another. I find myself skipping your replies Jay and there is a lot I want to learn from you. Marketing is cool but its getting redundant when you are talking to veteran members.

jayrob

I'm simply replying to questions asked after Mike made mention of my 405-G-1 lens modification...

Naturally when beam shots as nice as those are seen, interest follows.

I just took those pictures today, and was excited to show them off.

Sorry if you don't like my posts, but I have noticed that almost all or your posts are kind of 'harsh'.

You seem like your looking to start an argument or something. I may be selling kits and lens modifications, but I try to give very informative posts, and try to help if I can.

Do you offer much help?
Jay

P.S. My items for sale are all laser related, in a laser forum.

Your taking me wrong Jay. I'm not attacking you or trying to start anything. I completely respect your knowledge and your position in the forum. I have never directed any negativity towards you or ever will. I was making an observation, which I'm entitled to do. I follow all your posts/threads. Like I said there is a lot I want to learn from you so maybe one day I can contribute like you do. But its hard for "me" to follow when I'm being pressured directly/indirectly to buy something all the time. You totally threadjacked Mohrenberg. Its a real turn off for me. That's all I was saying, and I wanted you to know that. If you don't care that's cool, but keep in mind I'm part of your target audience just like many others here. Its just feedback, not an attack. Over saturation is not always a good marketing tool.

jayrob

Blu-Ray_Junkie said:
Your taking me wrong Jay. I'm not attacking you or trying to start anything. I completely respect your knowledge and your position in the forum. I have never directed any negativity towards you or ever will. I was making an observation, which I'm entitled to do. I follow all your posts/threads. Like I said there is a lot I want to learn from you so maybe one day I can contribute like you do. But its hard for "me" to follow when I'm being pressured directly/indirectly to buy something all the time. You totally threadjacked Mohrenberg. [highlight]Its a real turn off for me.[/highlight] That's all I was saying, and I wanted you to know that. If you don't care that's cool, but keep in mind I'm part of your target audience just like many others here. Its just feedback, not an attack. Over saturation is not always a good marketing tool.

Well, in case you didn't notice, Mohrenberg had asked a question about the lens just before you came and voiced you opinion on whether I should answer it or not...

Your point is noted. And I will continue to answer questions asked if I happen to know the answer, such as the really good question that Mohrenberg asked about whether or not the 405 lens could work in a plastic AixiZ nut.

If this is 'a real turn off' for you, then you have the choice of not reading my replies.
Jay

jayrob said:
If this is 'a real turn off' for you, then you have the choice of not reading my replies.
Jay

Which was my first point  ;D

Please..Mike set you up and you followed through. Mohrenberg made a thread showing his new toy off and you totally took the thread over. You can justify all you want but its not cool. How many times did he say no, thanks anyway.

Peace out...

jayrob

Mohrenberg, I certainly apologize to you if you feel that I have turned your thread into my for sale thread...

But I certainly will not apologize for answering good questions such as the one you asked about fitting the 405 lens in an AixiZ plastic nut. (since I happened to know the answer) Or for the lens comparison information that I shared after Devin.P asked his question about AixiZ glass.

I definitely apologize for letting Blu-Ray_Junkie get under my skin in your thread...
Jay

P.S. Blu-Ray_Junkie, Mike did not 'set me up'. He was trying to help Mohrenberg, because at that power, he will need to get glass. This is not a pitch. This is a fact that all blu-ray junkie's should know.

Mohrenberg;

I have sold a few bare lenses to LPF members that have used them with Aixiz plastic lens housings.

Here is Quantile's method (March 28) :

It is not as clean a mod as the brass one but considering the cost I really like it.

I use the plastic holder in reverse, i.e. the side with the two little notches faces the diode. Due to the lens' short focal length it would not focus to infinity in the normal configuration. As an additional benefit I use the small bottom part of the plastic lens nut as an aperture disc to reduce the "side splash"-effect a bit, at the cost of output power, of course.  

The lens holder needs to be screwed in all the way into the Aixiz module, there is no space for the focusing ring. I think I like it better this way, no more accidentally changing focus.

I used Norland NOA61 optical adhesive on the lens' mounting shoulder.
He has a nice 8X BR build, which I hope he is also using one of my lenses in.

I build a lot of BR lights, so I understand how the cost of the lens affects the final cost.

LarryDFW

Hi guys,

I finally hooked up a sf-aw210 to a Rkcstr driver (preset 200mA) and took a pic of it last night. The pic consisted of a 50mW LED greenie, 200mA sf-aw210, 300mA Red sf-aw210, 125mA PHR, and a 5mW 635nm from Dave.

I didn't get the results like Jayrob did in my pic, but I did get burned. Literally, at about 14 feet away! I was setting up my camera and thought a mosquito was biting me. Then I noticed the beam on my forearm, DOH! I have a tiny blister this morning to remind me.

The sf-aw210 is next to the 532nm.

Attachments

• ouch.jpg
    ouch.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 93
sorry for the double post, I am having trouble figuring out how to post using imageshack.

This pic shows the slight difference in color between the SF-AW210 and PHR.
The PHR looks more vibrant to me. Im too chicken to push the SF-AW210 any harder :-/

Attachments

• april_17.jpg
    april_17.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 91

Xer0

wtf... The PHR is barely more visible than a 5mW red? either 635nm are really kickass great color (still couldnt press mine) or... weird :-?

Xer0 said:
wtf... The PHR is barely more visible than a 5mW red? either 635nm are really kickass great color (still couldnt press mine) or... weird  :-?

I used smoke to enhance the beams. The 635nm is hooked up to a DDL style driver with a 33ohm resistor, I cranked the pot until it got bright.. It only looks bright when it is viewed from the receiving end, otherwise the PHR is way brighter. The 635nm does look more Orangish in person.

Xer0 said:
wtf... The PHR is barely more visible than a 5mW red? either 635nm are really kickass great color (still couldnt press mine) or... weird  :-?
All cameras are different ;)

I REALLY want to see these SF-AW210 diode through a spectrometer.... i wouldn't be suprised if they are 400nm or even a bit shorter. Either that or the PHR is longer than 405... maybe 410.