Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Genesis Project: my RGB White Rainbow - Proof of Concept build.

RB, do you think trying to video tape the output of your IR laser range finder could damage the CCD? I have been trying to find someone to video record how bright the output of an IR range finder is 100 feet or more away for awhile now, you are the only member I know of now who has one of those. I know that is a hassle to do, and maybe not a good thing for the person holding the camera, I don't know how safe it is. But, if you ever do want to see that on camera pointing towards the LRF for yourself, please share!

I have looked at the safe range for other range finders and they appear to have enough divergence to be safe after 15-30 feet for some units, yours might be more or less, so I don't want to indicate it is a safe thing to do at any distance but a camera set alone running at a distance, or someone with IR safety goggles 100 feet away video taping the IR output and it would be safe that way.

Last edited:

RB, do you think trying to video tape the output of your IR laser range finder could damage the CCD? I have been trying to find someone to video record how bright the output of an IR range finder is 100 feet or more away for awhile now, you are the only member I know of now who has one of those. I know that is a hassle to do, and maybe not a good thing for the person holding the camera, I don't know how safe it is. But, if you ever do want to see that on camera pointing towards the LRF for yourself, please share!

Ah, is it about you previous thread? :
http://laserpointerforums.com/f40/anyone-here-have-access-own-laser-range-finder-uses-ir-98477.html

I didn't respond because I don't think I have a camera with the IR filter removed.
I'll see what I can do though, as soon as I get a chance, ok?

:beer:

Aha, that was indeed me, and yes, I had not thought of that problem before, you are right.

Ok, a couple of people have asked me to take a beam profile at 50m so here it is.

Sorry it took so long as I've been busy with work and it actually takes a surprisingly long time to set this test up
since I'm working with the bare module, mains dual power supply and prototype boards and sliders.

I set this up at night inside a shed and took a reading through my laser range finder with my iPhone at 52 meters at a chair that's supporting a white cardboard sheet.
Then I went up close and took a fast exposure shot of 1/8000 sec so as to not over-expose the beam
since the beam is so bright it saturates the beam spot in the photo otherwise.

So, as for me, I'm very happy with the result.
I'm basically building an RGB White handheld laser pointer that has the ability to dial/slide up any combination of RGB WL's.

I'm very excited how its all coming together.
I've ordered my tiny 5v regulator PCB and the 3D printed cylinder body that will house the module and driver has been printed and shipped.
I should have it next week.

So.... progress is being achived.

Hope these help you guys.

Cheers
RB

:drool:

Thank you Andrew for doing this!!

RGB Aligment looks absolutely great!

must_have.jpg

:drool:

Thank you Andrew for doing this!!
RGB Aligment looks absolutely great!
Oh, you're very welcome Arctic, I'm so glad you're happy with the alignment.
You're experienced eye verifying this makes me so happy and confirms the high quality of these units.

Cheers my friend.

Now awaiting the delivery of the 3D Printed cylinder for the flashlight body.
Can't wait !!!

RB

Oh, you're very welcome Arctic, I'm so glad you're happy with the alignment.
You're experienced eye verifying this makes me so happy and confirms the high quality of these units.

Cheers my friend.

Now awaiting the delivery of the 3D Printed cylinder for the flashlight body.
Can't wait !!!

RB

Just ordered one! :drool:

Woohoo !!!

The 3D print of the cylinder arrived and it looks awesome.

Very nice and precise work done by my mate.

The cylinder will screw into the Flashlight head and it has a base plate to mount the RGB module onto.
I'll be drilling the aperture hole in the appropriate place on the front of the cylinder for the laser to exit.

IMG_3420.jpg

IMG_3421.jpg

And below is what the unit will look like once assembled and houses the 3 batteries.

IMG_3422.jpg

And below shows where I will probably be relocating the three sliders instead of putting them in the power button cavity since I've decided to keep the original magnetic power button.
I'll probably get my friend to 3D print me a little black box to house the sliders and will fasten it to the black flat section shown below.

IMG_3425.jpg

Sooooo, you like so far ???

RB

:yh:

Nice work he did for you, you are very progressive with this project, if someone made these, I'd buy one.

You better make that head a bit bigger so you can stuff a couple motors and FS mirrors in there !
while a RGB beam is very nice to see you will be wanting to modulate that beam around into some kind of shape,
maybe something like this> http://laserpointerforums.com/f47/white-fusion-colors-48217-4.html#post656401

how about a white dot, now thats a pretty good white dot if I say so myself.
15e7qdg.jpg

Here is my White Fusion Engine, about the same size as the micro-RGB but with a little better cooling

Good luck with your RGB project, I m looking forward to the end result ;)

[QUOTE

The Flashlight head isn't going to be quite big enough to house the unit since the brass sink is quite bulky.
So I'm planning to get a 3D Printed cylinder made up to screw into the front which will give me the extra room I need to fit everything into the host.

IMG_3314.jpg

:[/QUOTE]

This is one of the coolest laser pointer projects I've seen on LPF in a long time, the first cool white laser I saw early on was Flaminpyro's which is awesome too.