Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

GB: CNC'd Host + Driver for 40 Watt 460-465nm Laser Array

rhd

Here's the nutshell. You guys may have seen Styro's groupbuy for Nichia 40W 460-465nm arrays (here).

These arrays are very interesting. I have one in-hand. The challenge of course is what to do with an array of really unique diodes that doesn't separate or allow very good extraction. The answer, is to make the whole thing into a unique build. I've designed a portable host, that I'm going to have CNC'd, and I'll either do 1x (just for me), or do 5x / 10x (for a group buy). The obvious advantage of orders 5x or 10x is cost. CNC work tends to benefit from economies of scale. So I'm opening up a group buy to see if there are other people that want a host (and drivers).

47398d1428725824-eahtaray-img_20150410_211215.jpg

This host isn't large. Its measurements are 126 x 70 x 32 mm. It's designed to fit 8x 4 Amp buck drivers, and 4x lipo cells in 2S2P config. Despite the small package, the electronics and cells will be capable of supplying the 32 Amps of total current that the 8x diodes require (here's 1x diode in a much smaller version of basically the same concept host: Photino 465nm @ 5W)

The host + driver is expensive, but the arrays aren't cheap themselves (those are around $650). Pricing includes:

• 1x host
  • 1x host lid / trigger flap
  • 4x nut and bolt sets for securing the array into the host
  • 8x 4 Amp buck drivers w/ CNC'c heatsinks
  • 1x high current mosfet trigger board
  • 1x Mini-DIN 3 connector (for creating an external port to plug in a balance charging cable)
  • 1x Mini-DIN 3 plug (for creating the charging cable)
  • Neodymium magnets (intended to make the host lid removable)

The cost at 5x participants will be $270 USD each, plus shipping to you.

Tentative participant list:
1) RHD
2) Alaskan
3) Minamoto Kobayashi
4) Moe Ron
5)

Lead time will be 6 weeks. I have a decent amount of experience ordering these kind of CNC'd parts (the Photino, the Photino RGB, the MOD9s, the MODCs, etc) so I don't expect any of the hiccups that other CNC projects seem to run into on this forum). Also, the driver is dead easy. I've already ordered enough panels for 80x (just because it's so cheap for PCBs themselves) and my driver uses entirely north american sourced parts that are fast to order from digikey (and the driver is a design I've used in a dozen different shapes and sizes).

That said, I'm not going to wait terribly long if there's not a lot of committed interest up front. If there isn't, I'm going to go it alone on 1x QTY for myself. I'm really eager to build with this array, and am impatient. So if you're interested, make yourself known.

3D printed prototype (excuse the fast / low quality print settings). This is revision number 17:
47706d1433823553-gb-cnc-d-host-driver-40-watt-460-465nm-laser-array-3d-print-v17.jpg

Older renders:
http://laserpointerforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47440&stc=1&d=1429243496
http://laserpointerforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=47442&stc=1&d=1429251031

47421d1428878431-eahtaray-panel.png

Attachments

• host.png
    host.png
    30.7 KB · Views: 668
  • host3.png
    host3.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 635
Last edited:

I'd be interested in one of these hosts myself, please mark me down for one.

rhd

I revised the designs a bit to also add CNC'd heatsinks for the drivers.

Will the final assembly be difficult? I have interest just not sure if I would be able to complete it.

rhd

Will the final assembly be difficult? I have interest just not sure if I would be able to complete it.

It would take some skill, and there won't be any instructions. But I don't think there's anything particularly tricky about it.

As soon as you build this, inevitably, there will be a few more who are wanting the host too. Even if I don't buy the diode block it will be designed for, I'm thinking I could get a piece of aluminum machined to put my own diodes in and use it with those too. I have thoughts of attaching a tube to the back side of it to hold batteries.

This will be one of several multi-diode units I'm going to have built, nice to have all the work done in the design and everything you need to do to have them machined, this is a deal. I'd buy two if I didn't have too many other irons on the fire already.

Edit:

Here's a question from logsquared on the other forum:

Those arrays look pretty sweet. Any data on the actual wavelength? Also, how well are the collimation lenses adjusted? The 9mm with the glued on lenses weren't that well adjusted. And most important, are the emitters the same size as the m series?

Last edited:

rhd

Well, sadly, it doesn't look like there is enough interest from others here to make this fly.

Alaskan posted about it on PL and it seems to have gained a bit of interest. With it being as pricy as it is, there won't be many people who can swing it.

rhd

I'm probably going to suck it up and order a batch of these hosts on my own dime, notwithstanding that there weren't many takers on the groupbuy. If anyone is interested in one, let me know. I don't need the money up front.

I'm still interested. If the OP or someone very reputable could build mine I'm there

rhd

I 3D printed this prototype, and it's far too big for comfort. It feels bulky. Needs some shrinking.

I've got a new revision in the works that slims down quite a bit, and I'm hoping will feel more comfortable. If so, ok do a plastic print build, and see how it works (no real duty cycle beyond a few seconds of course).