Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Galaxy S4 or iPhone 5?

What Phone Would You Buy?

• iPhone 5

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Galaxy S4

Votes: 36 69.2%
  • Other....please specify below

Votes: 5 9.6%

• Total voters

I didn't see which network you would be on... this makes a huge difference. Don't get the S4 if you plan to be on sprint. If you have any symbols in your wife's name, your text messaging wont work. I've had the s4 for 2 months, sprint and Samsung still don't acknowledge the problem. I've found the solution on an android forum. An amateur developer went into his system and found the problem. I have sent the whole thread multiple times to sprint and Samsung. and both of them still keep blaming each other.

I've already verified that my self that if keep your wifi off, or change the name to just letters only, it works. This is only a sprint/Samsung problem.
Other than that... it is a great phone with the best camera I've ever seen on a phone.

Michael.

I'll second this... the service used makes much more of a difference than the device.

I'm actually dumping Sprint. Just passed the two year mark a couple weeks ago.

Their 4G, while technically my area shows as covered, I get nothing. For my brother and his wife, they aren't covered by 4g at all. The 3g speed sucks.

Incredibly, the call quality, and data speeds have actually dropped in my experience, from what they used to be.

So far I've been with verizon (good but expensive), ATT the company that will drop every call, every time, MetroPCS for work - that was a joke, and currently Sprint.

Considered TMobile, but don't feel like spending $500-800 on a phone, to be unhappy if the service sucks. So not going back to Verizon.

Stin

Got an S4 today, It seems like a great device. Beautiful screen. I'd recommend it.

I'm going to go tinker with it all night now.

i have the S3 and cant upgrade for a while so by that time they will have a S5 at the rate they are going but ive dropped this thing a bunch and no problems what so ever. also recommend buying it from bestbuy, no seriously! i have the black tie protection plan and it litterly covers EVERYTHING other than lost or stolen. i can take a shower with it, swim with it, smash it, throw it, kick it, probably burn it and they will give me a new one free (well not free since i paid iirc $160 up front for the protection and if you do it monthly its $10/month). best freakin plan available anywhere and they will give you a loaner phone while they get you a new one (technically factory refurb but still brand new). takes 2-3 days to get a replacement. luckily i havent had to use it yet but my girlfriend has. when my contract is up im going to smash this one, use the plan, get a brand new refurb and then upgrade. that way ill have a brand new phone to either fall back on or sell :D PROFIT!!!!!

IsaacT

Well I just purchased the S4 today and so far I am loving it! My favorite features are:

1. Voice typing
2. Dedicated number line
3. Swipe text
4. Air gestures

so far I love it!

DTR

Got my S4 today. Did not even power it up. Threw on a recovery, rooted it and put a debloated rom with none of the annoying carrier crap.:evil:

Got my S4 today. Did not even power it up. Threw on a recovery, rooted it and put a debloated rom with none of the annoying carrier crap.:evil:

I'm asking as a soon to be owner of the same phone...

Can you explain a bit more on what you did, and how, or direct me to where you found out how to do it?

I haven't really done anything with phones, since messing around with the OS on my BB Bold 9000, and that was years ago.

Stin

I'm asking as a soon to be owner of the same phone...

Can you explain a bit more on what you did, and how, or direct me to where you found out how to do it?

I haven't really done anything with phones, since messing around with the OS on my BB Bold 9000, and that was years ago.

It depends on your carrier/version of your phone. Xda-developer forums is a great resource to use. Just make sure you are using the correct version of your phone (ie: verizon S4). And make sure you follow instructions.

Last edited:

DTR

Which version of the phone did you get? I have the SGH-M919 for Tmobile. The AT&T phone is a I9500. There is also a verizon and sprint variant as well. On the M919 you download Odin, download a recover like CWM, TWRP or OUDHS. Put the phone in download mode and flash it with Odin. This is probably the same on the I9500 just get the recovery version for them. Then on the M919 I got the ROOT_M919UVUAMDL.zip file which is installed via the recovery I flashed previously(probably a similer method for root on the other variants) and now the phone is rooted. Then I went and selected one of the custom roms in the development section that best fit what I was looking for and flashed it with the recovery and that was it.

This was the main guide I followed.
[INFO][HOWTO][ROOT] May 7th OTA - M919UVUAMDL - xda-developers

SGH-M919 section
T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy S 4 - xda-developers

I9500 section
AT&T, Canadian Bell, Rogers, Telus, Virgin Samsung Galaxy S 4 - xda-developers

I will be getting the verizon version.

Thank you very much for posting the explanation and links. I'll need to find the verizon specific information, but shouldn't be a problem to find that.

I have a galaxy s3 but my next phone will be the s4
Samsung for me is the best because i never had any trouble with samsung

I really really don't like anything apple makes except ipods... for the rest it hink it's just overpriced junk with a apple logo on it..

IsaacT

I am thinking about getting an apple ipod 160GB for 150 off of craigslist.

only apple product i own is a ipod classic video and a shuffle i got fo free in a storage auction win :D

apple doesnt do anything right, minus their computers ONLY if you are doing graphic design or photo/video editing. my dad got a ipad for free through his work and he is already giving it back to them and they are buying him a surface :D :D :D that thing looks kick a$$!

IsaacT

I would rather not piss away 150 bucks... but maybe something cheaper?

Everyone who voted for the s4 likes its bigger screen, nfc, gestures or multitasking. I eont mention costumslisation, this is for android vs iphone talk.
Any other reason is probaly because they dont have money for a 5. The 5 wins on every other fight. Camera quality, camera speed, camera in dark envoirements, speed of the phone, speed of apps, FPS in games, speed of browsing, design, construction, simplicity, smoothness, warrenty support and battery life.