Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: Glow Marble Mini Light! - Project Parts...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayrob

I'm currently out of the 1" marbles... Hope to find some soon!

Here's a really cool project that is very easy to do...

I wanted it to be portable, so I used 3 X AA batteries. I'm calling it my 'Glow Marble Mini Light'.

I will be selling the heatsink and 1" crackle glass glow marble if you would like to follow this build. :) (see below)

Glow%20marble%206.jpg

I found the perfect size project box for this. It is a very nice solid, clean box too...

Parts:

* Project box: Digi-Key - HM1168-ND (Manufacturer - 1591XXLBK)

* 3 X AA battery holder:
Digi-Key - BH3AA-W-ND (Manufacturer - BH3AA-W)

* FlexDrive:
http://hacylon.case.edu/ebay/laser_diode/Micro_FlexDrive.php

* E6000 adhesive:
E6000 Craft Adhesive information

* Soft touch switch: (RS)
SPST 3-Amp "Soft-Feel" Push On-Push Off Switch - RadioShack.com

* Price for marble and heatsink:

If you would like to follow this build, I will offer the heatsink, with a 1" crackle glass uranium marble for $28 dollars plus $3 dollars shipping.

* Please read my shipping policy here!

Assembly pictures:

Glow%20marble%201.jpg

Glow%20marble%202.jpg

Glow%20marble%203.jpg

Glow%20marble%204.jpg

Glow%20marble%205.jpg

Glow%20marble%207.jpg

Notes:

* Not using a lens in this build. I put the marble right up to the thermal sensor of my Coherent meter and rotated it around to try to get the max reading off of the reflections, and the max reading I could get was 1.2mW's.

So, although it glows very bright, I really don't think is is harmful to the eyes. (although I could be wrong. Please chime in on this)

* It is brighter than I thought it would be! And it looks a lot better than the camera shows...

The marble is mostly a 'greenish glow', but there are blue 'flecks' all on the inside of the marble. Looks really cool, but I just hope it's not damaging to the eyes.

As mentioned above :rolleyes:, I only measured a max of 1.2mW's with my meter. So I would think it is fairly safe since the beam is not collimated. (just using the bare diode with the marble over it)

* I set the FlexDrive to 90mA's for longevity to the PHR diode. I am using a 1 1/4" massive heatsink. I did a 30 minute test run. The heatsink was at 81.5 degrees at the beginning, and in 30 minutes, it was at 83.5 degrees.

* Using 3 X AA batteries/FlexDrive/PHR @ 90mA's should give good battery life.

* You could easily set it up with a 3 volt DC wall plug if you wanted to!

* The heatsink is fit for an AixiZ module. There is a set screw at the back of the heatsink for easy module removal in case you need to change the diode.

Hope you like it! :D

P.S. The beam is not collimated. And if this light mod does not require FDA approval, I would offer the complete build. But I would think that it is still considered a laser...

Click here to see my list of projects and tutorials! :)

Last edited:

Awesome! Another nice project!! I will be in contact!

:gj: -Adrian

ooh adapt that to a 9v wall plug with a rckstr and you got your self a cool nightlight!

jayrob

Or a 3 to 5 volt wall plug and the FlexDrive that I already have in it...

That would be easy to make a plug for a choice of plug in, or battery.

But it is nice an small...

I wanted it to be very portable. Set it in the bar, or on the BBQ island by the pool at night... :cool:

Last edited:
Another clever idea Jay ! + 1 REP for ingenuity & cleverness, not to mention a nice clean build........rob

Thats awsome Jay! That'd make a nice little light to work at night with (might need two lol) and NOT wake up the wifey!

Looks great, awsome job again man!

Tyler - Dark Lasers

jayrob

:thanks:

Yes it is brighter than I thought it would be! And it looks a lot better than the camera shows... :cool:

The marble is mostly a 'greenish glow', but there are blue 'flecks' all on the inside of the marble. Looks really cool, but I just hope it's not damaging to the eyes.

As mentioned in my first post, I only measured a max of 1.2mW's with my meter. So I would think it is fairly safe since the beam is not collimated. (just using the bare diode with the marble over it)

Cool stuff, Jay; but I can't help to ask: Is the bluray laser really needed? Couldn't this be done much smaller with one or two UV LEDs?

UV LED's are pretty crappy, PHR's do just as good if not better for the prise.

Nice work Jay ;)

jayrob

Thanks! :)

I do have a nice Flashlight mod that I used a UV emitter for, and it's pretty bright!

I don't know a whole lot about the UV emitters that I got from DX, but just from my initial experience, I would guess that they take a lot more current vs brightness compared to a PHR at 90mA's.

But it would definitely make the marble glow!

With this little project, I was trying for something small and portable, but still with good capacity in between battery changes...

Status
Not open for further replies.