Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

FS: >110mW PHR, >140mW 4x & >170mW 6x Blu-Rays

lam3

Re: FS: >110mW Blu-Rays - available

Oo, at first, when I tried the grating, I tried to screw off the grating off the lens but it didn't come off too easily, so I let it be for that time.

Now, after your post though, I tried it, and here is a shot of the results.

Not the best shot, will do that some other day. It's way too hot in this room now.

Attachments

• P1070519.JPG
    P1070519.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 91

Hard to believe you have almost 15,000 hits on this one thread. Way to go! Thanks to you our house is "lasered up" .

IgorT

lam3 said:
Oo, at first, when I tried the grating, I tried to screw off the grating off the lens but it didn't come off too easily, so I let it be for that time.

Yeah, i put the rings on very tight, so it wouldn't come appart when focusing... ;)

My mum is addicted to buying minerals, crystals and whatnot, and just bought a little mini-cave of amethyst (purple) There's one crystal of quartz or something in it that looks white and boring normally, but under Igor's blu-ray it turns pink! :D

IgorT

Haha, well my little peltier powered fridge also turns pink under the blu rays. But i didn't know about the amethysts glowing. Or even just plain old quartz?

Need to remember where i put my crystals.. :)

I am glad you're enjoying your laser.. What's up with Stan btw? Haven't heard from him latelly.

daguin

VillageIdiot said:
My mum is addicted to buying minerals, crystals and whatnot, and just bought a little mini-cave of amethyst (purple) There's one crystal of quartz or something in it that looks white and boring normally, but under Igor's blu-ray it turns pink! :D

That's a crystal of calcite in with the amethyst. Get a diffraction grating and shine your blu-ray at all of her crystals and rocks. You need the diffraction grating because the brightness of the blu-ray beam often overpowers the glow of the rock/crystal. Lots of minerals react to UV light. I have some quartz crystals that have fluorapatite crystals embedded in them. They glow bright orange INSIDE the quartz.

Just be a bit cautious when shining your laser at crystals. The "faces" on the crystals can give specular reflection. "Rocks" are generally not a problem, but crystals are.

Peace,
dave

I knew Daggy the mineral master would stick his head in. =P

So I got my camera and some sunglasses and tried to take some pictures to show you guys. I failed. :\ I can't capture the glow, even when the beam is really unfocused.

So here's the amethyst thingamajig. The calcite is down the bottom to the left, the off-white coloured one.

IMG_1113.jpg

The unfocused beam pics are no better than the focused, so here's a focused one for effect. It's completely different IRL, much more pink. And this picture was taken through sunglasses!

IMG_1117.jpg

So after that I decided to test all of these:

IMG_1124.jpg

I scanned them all with the collimating lens off (I can imagine Igor groaning now, I was really careful) and no dice, apart from this one.

IMG_1120.jpg

Again, it looks a lot better IRL, much pinker and clearer lines on the rock, but at least you get a general idea. Also taken through sunglasses.

IMG_1122.jpg

And that's amateur fluorescence, folks!

jayrob

Cool! What is that last one called? I want one...
Jay

Looks a little like ruby in zoisite, but the ones I have the ruby parts are more fully crystallized in bigger spots, maybe I can take pics soon.

Attachments

• Zoisite_in_reg__light.jpg
    Zoisite_in_reg__light.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 90

It is pretty cheap, keep in mind. I think I got this in a pack with 20 other different minerals for $10.

daguin

jayrob said:
Cool! What is that last one called? I want one...
Jay

It's hard to tell from that picture. It could be zoisite. It could be a cobaltian calcite intrusion into serpentine. It might even be cerium oxide mixed with dish soap that was used during the final polishing phase of the tumble run. Take a small "point" and see if you can scrape any of it out of the cracks ;)

Peace,
dave

No can do. Pink stuff is in there tight and will not scrape out period.

IgorT

VillageIdiot said:
I scanned them all with the collimating lens off (I can imagine Igor groaning now, I was really careful)

Haha!  ;D It's your laser, you can do with it, what you like. ::)

I just suggest, not to take the lens out the moment you get the laser, because that's usually when dust gets in.
If you do it right it's not a problem. And since you were scanning with it, you were holding it upside down, meaning nothing can fall in. ;)
After that, you just need to be careful, not to PUT dust in, together with the spring.

Sometimes uncollimated laser light is usefull. For example, i use an uncollimated red laser, to inspect the spring for any dust or particles, before putting it back in. If there's anything there, you can see it on the shadow in great detail. With an uncollimated blu-ray, particles often stand out.

Sometimes you can do the scanning just by making the spot larger, if what you're scanning is at a distance. But close up, there is no other way, than no lens..

The diffraction grating is also interesting for "scanning".. ;)

IgorT

It's very important!

It keeps the lens nut from rattling around. If you try focusing without the spring, you can set the focus, and when you let the ring go, you lose the desired focus again. The nut moves a little, and the focus changes a lot.

This is because the threads are not perfectly tight. The lens nut can move a little. The spring puts force on it, and keeps it in one position.

But here the spring does something else too. It pushes the lens into the lens nut. Normally, there is a back plate with a tiny hole, and that plate keeps the lens in the lens nut. But the hole blocks some light, so people cut it open, and only leave a ring, that keeps the lens in.

Cutting it open is messy and risky, as you can scratch the lens, so instead i just pull the entire thing out. But then nothing holds the lens in the lens nut. Sometimes it sticks there, other times it can drop out. But the spring keeps the lens in it's place at the top of the lens nut.

The little force the spring exerts on the lens keeps everything nice and tight.