Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Florida Shooting

At least 17 dead in Florida school shooting, law enforcement says

A former student unleashed a hail of gunfire in a Florida high school on Wednesday, killing at least 17 adults and children, authorities said.

Florida Gov. Rick Scott ordered government flags flown at half-staff through Monday in honor of victims of the shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, a public school of some 3,000 students outside Boca Raton.
The school is closed for the rest of the week, Broward County Public Schools Superintendent Robert Runcie said. The district will offer grief counseling to students and their families.

"This has been a day where we've seen the worst of humanity. Tomorrow is gonna bring out the best in humanity as we come together to move forward from this unspeakable tragedy," he said.
The suspect, 19-year-old Nikolas Cruz, was expelled for unspecified disciplinary reasons, Runcie said. He is due in court Thursday.
The shooting, which is among the 10 deadliest mass shootings in modern US history, revived debate over gun control while American politicians offered their condolences.
"My prayers and condolences to the families of the victims of the terrible Florida shooting. No child, teacher or anyone else should ever feel unsafe in an American school," US President Donald Trump said.

:tsk: :spank:

Yeah .... especially for minors, who maybe steal weapons from their parents in secret!
And then things like that happen!

diachi

So who's going to go around and collect the some 300,000,000 guns you guys have? I'm sure that'll go well...

BobMc

My deepest condolences go the the family of the injured and those that lost sons and daughters, nobody can imagine the pain. :cryyy:

If you do away with the second amendment only the Government and criminals with guns.

I like the saying that;

“the only thing that stops a bad person with a gun, is a good person with a gun”

Your never going to be able to stop someone’s bad behavior by making laws. If it worked, we could just make murder illegal.

Last edited:
So who's going to go around and collect the some 300,000,000 guns you guys have? I'm sure that'll go well...

Don't worry. Nobody will actually try to implement any sort of solution anyway. It'll be in the news for a couple days while the talking heads spout their empty condolences then we'll forget until the next one.

There are options we could try to ameliorate the gun violence issue we obviously have in the USA.

I don't care to make the case but let it suffice to say that there are alternatives to forcibly confiscating firearms. This happens time and time again yet nothing is ever done in an attempt to solve the problem. It is surely a complex issue but the majority of the country does support some form of control above what is in place.

what we need is a more active community to identify such potential shooters and help solve the social problem causing this. i don't believe for a moment you can get all of them, but i bet prevent most of this. our hindsight always identifies them, why can't we get more involved before hand to see it coming and curb these hateful ideas from being put into action?

Yeah nevermind that in places that had shootings before have seen massive drop offs in shootings since enacting gun control. "good people with guns" have successfully stopped >5% of shootings.

Last edited:
If a kid like that wants to kill, they will find a way without guns, unfortunately.

BobMc

A. Guns save more lives than they take; prevent more injuries than they inflict

* Guns used 2.5 million times a year in self-defense. Law-abiding citizens use guns to defend themselves against criminals as many as 2.5 million times every year -- or about 6,850 times a day. [1] This means that each year, firearms are used more than 80 times more often to protect the lives of honest citizens than to take lives.~~~~~

Crime statistics

If you do away with the second amendment only the Government and criminals with guns.

Your never going to be able to stop someone’s bad behavior by making laws. If it worked, we could just make murder illegal.

I agree with you here.

I like the saying that;

“the only thing that stops a bad person with a gun, is a good person with a gun”

Sorry, but this sounds like some NRA bullsht. I'm not for more gun laws (for one reason its too late) Im for education and honestly trying to solve or problems here in the USA. Regurgitating NRA propaganda is not the way to solve our problems IMHO. Using the NRA's ill gotten gun fact sheet is bad bad bad. Its only designed to make people money. The NRA is not about freedom it is about MONEY.

BobMc

Sorry, but this sounds like some NRA bullsht. I'm not for more gun laws (for one reason its too late) Im for education and honestly trying to solve or problems here in the USA. Regurgitating NRA propaganda is not the way to solve our problems IMHO. Using the NRA's ill gotten gun fact sheet is bad bad bad. Its only designed to make people money. The NRA is not about freedom it is about MONEY.

You might be right about the NRA. Wither or not it’s a NRA statement I can not say. Where/when I first heard it, I can not say either. I’m only speaking to the truth of the statement as it is in itself. (IMO) as was stated in “I like the saying that”

Last edited:
I don't know if that will ever happen, with as much as we all have our own immediate concerns, these people with problems are mostly pushed to the side.

We cant change the fact that children don't have 2 parents at home anymore, well over half of them don't, and many hardly have any parents at all, otherwise a lot of this crap would never get out the door.

I'm not going to talk about religion in this thread, but the main reason we have so many broken kids is because we have so many broken homes.

Why do democrats care so much about " Gun control " they don't, they care about control.

Hundreds die daily from drug overdose.

1000 plus die daily from hospital mistakes.

Tobacco is responsible for 90% of all lung cancer and is the number 1 preventable cause of premature death in America, but what does government do........a big fat TAX.

Until we rebuild the American family this will never stop, if we threw every civilian gun in America into a hole in the ground these broken kids would set off bombs, or deliver poison with drones....ok so we throw all civilian drones and toy airplanes into the giant gun hole, but we can't get rid of oxidizers and fuel, there is too much of our modern life that makes it easy to build bombs.....what about running people down with cars and trucks, no way will Americans give up their cars......we could put all the cars into the gun/drone hole and everyone ride bicycles and public transportation, just look at how much planet saving that alone would do.

Because as long as there are cars there's easy access to gasoline and that stuff burns like mad mixed with Styrofoam or soap powder, not to mention all by it's self.

How about rather than expelling the broken kids who weren't allowed on the property with a backpack before that, how about some mental health support for the broken kids???? They knew this Nikolas Cruz was messed up long before this happened......anyway if every gun and car and toy airplane is gone from his reach, would he not have set the school on fire? BUT WAIT....we could have security guards at schools once all the cars and guns and toy airplanes are gone......yes and we can do that right now too.

In a world of broken homes with more broken kids than ever we need to protect our schools, not toss all our cars into a hole in the ground.

No Kid should have to think about a gunman coming into their school to shoot everyone dead and it isn't just kids who should have to think of these things. The fact Kids at such a young age are having to prepare for this as if it was a thing that happens so regularly is sad to see. Unfortunately this is one of the only few things i'm guessing can be done to prevent many more deaths in these situations. :( Over here in the UK, these school shootings very rarely happen, in fact the worst mass shooting in the UK was the Dunblane massacre in which the gunman killed 16 children and 1 teacher before committing suicide and I am pretty sure this is the only school shooting that has happened in the UK.

Last edited: