Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DTR's Laser Shop - Laser Diodes & More

scuse me if this has already been asked:

As Jordan seems to have a knack for finding the best deals and passing that along to us-..

When/where can we get the 640nm diodes that most say presently has the best all around everything? mW- and beam profile-- how many different 640s are there and what is the best for max outpit-as labbies they are VERY SPENDY still- but looking like th fav at PLEX.

in a comparison the 640 was easily as bright as a 650nm with just HALF the mW..

and since very few bring LPMs to laser shows its ALL about how bright the reds are and how little it takes for a good white. I read that a 640nm can balance with the same mW of 532.

That's not right. Under the same beam conditions (power, spot size), red will never look as bright as green under any viewing conditions (e.g. photopic, scotopic vision). In fact, as view conditions become darker, the eye becomes even less sensitive to red, and more sensitive to greens around 532nm (and more sensitive to blues). The only way light from a red laser may appear brighter is if the 532 spot is much larger, and therefore less concentrated, than the 635/638/640nm at the same distance. That may be the case due to the 532nm lasers usually having poor divergence, which is really more of a collimation issue.

Also, for brightness, the only reason you should tolerate a shift towards longer wavelengths is if the beam profile is better. Brightness drops off rapidly the longer the wavelength for reds. If anything, you want them shifted more towards shorter wavelengths, as this makes them brighter. I've been suspecting that there's a sweet spot in terms of brightness for these high-powered 638nm diodes: where the wavelength shift due to power output reduces the perceived brightness more than the additional power. That would be the optimal power level for tuning lasers.

The best overall everything would be a 635nm, or shorter wavelength red like red HeNe wavelengths, with great beamspecs. The closest thing we have to that, cheaply, is the single-mode 638nm laser diode that is currently out, or perhaps those multimode variants if you can tame the divergence.

Maybe the solution will be some awful multimode 635nm-ish diodes that put out so much power that it isn't really that terrible to waste some on a lens that cuts off the sides to gain a better looking beam (like Lazereer's long-focal length lens).

Hey Hakzaw, there is a guy over at the PL BST thread selling four 150mw Opnext 640's right now, his screen name is Massivesound. They are spendy but I understand they are discounted from elsewhere.

Hey, I was considering a brighter (less purple than the 445) blue module.

I know you have these NDB7675 1.4W 462nm diodes, but what is this M462 462nm diode that says "coming soon"?

Jordan & Gary power !!! I love the diode choice and for me the best host on the world ! I can't wait for my orders !

Pascal

Hi there! Long time... glad to see you're still in business. Just ordered 2 of the 9mm 465nm NDB7875 with driver & copper module. Looking forward to playing with these.

I hope you're doing well and prospering!

Dave Xanatos

DTR

Hi there! Long time... glad to see you're still in business. Just ordered 2 of the 9mm 465nm NDB7875 with driver & copper module. Looking forward to playing with these.

I hope you're doing well and prospering!

Dave Xanatos

They will go out in the morning.:beer:

Items received today.... the one I've powered up so far is fantastic. I'm treating them gingerly now, running at 6vdc, but they are powerful and beautiful. Burned a hole through a cardboard box! :) Nice units. Thanks.

Dave

Items received today.... the one I've powered up so far is fantastic. I'm treating them gingerly now, running at 6vdc, but they are powerful and beautiful. Burned a hole through a cardboard box! :) Nice units. Thanks.

Dave

Hi Dave,
I have that diode driven at 2.4a, it's a beast. A g2 lens works great with them also, beams pretty nice
Danny

DTR

Dave

Glad you like it. Enjoy and be safe.:beer:

Very happy to see DTR is still here. Been a few years since I bought from DTR. All these new diodes have captured my attention again. No doubt I will be ordering very soon.

Who would have thought 6+ Watts one Diode.

I had to rejoin. I hadn't been here for a few years. I assume my account was removed from inactivity.

I am not certain. But I expect it was probably Mosc_007

I tried to recover it with my usual Email addresses but nothing was found.

Last edited: