Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DTR's Laser Shop - Laser Diodes & More

Pretty slick quickie setup. I might have to just build on myself. Thanks for sharing .

Is there a G-9 lens? What is the best lens to put in my 445nm 2.4w in a 501b host. I have the lens that came in the laser now (thread I got it from says G-9) but think it has a defect. There is a spot "in" the lens I believe so it can't cleaned off. I have picture if it will help. Thanks

Is there a G-9 lens? What is the best lens to put in my 445nm 2.4w in a 501b host. I have the lens that came in the laser now (thread I got it from says G-9) but think it has a defect. There is a spot "in" the lens I believe so it can't cleaned off. I have picture if it will help. Thanks

Depends on what your meaning of "best" is. If you want more power then the G-2 is what you're after. Not much gain over the G-9, not enough that you will notice unless your looking at an LPM read out. The three element lens will give you a much better beam profile but at the expense of output. Again, probably not enough to notice with your eyes. In fact the better beam profile of the three element may make it more visually appealing. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to your question. Just a matter of preference. If I were you I would pick up a three element for $12 or whatever DTR is selling them for these days and give it a try.

ARG

G1, G2, G9 are all pretty much the same. I've taken samples with 4 of each lens in brand new (no dust) condition and seen no difference in the power output @ ~450nm wavelengths.

scuse me if this has already been asked:

As Jordan seems to have a knack for finding the best deals and passing that along to us-..

When/where can we get the 640nm diodes that most say presently has the best all around everything? mW- and beam profile-- how many different 640s are there and what is the best for max outpit-as labbies they are VERY SPENDY still- but looking like th fav at PLEX.

in a comparison the 640 was easily as bright as a 650nm with just HALF the mW..

and since very few bring LPMs to laser shows its ALL about how bright the reds are and how little it takes for a good white. I read that a 640nm can balance with the same mW of 532.

now we're talkin'

hk

see these: its NOT just the shade of red its also how concentrated a small beam is compared with a fatty..

these were posted by the guy who owned the two idebntical ('cept for the diodes)projectors- a well-respected show forum VET member with NO personal agenda .--

from UK 'norty303'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCXecBJFnIw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B4-N_CFjqc8

fairly convincing-- proof IMO=

if we can get a GB going and the price becomes more reasonable i need two or four of these (for dual or quad lab builds)

what say ye Mr Jordan?--- I bet you have already looked into this...

Len

Last edited:
Depends on what your meaning of "best" is. If you want more power then the G-2 is what you're after. Not much gain over the G-9, not enough that you will notice unless your looking at an LPM read out. The three element lens will give you a much better beam profile but at the expense of output. Again, probably not enough to notice with your eyes. In fact the better beam profile of the three element may make it more visually appealing. I don't think there is a right or wrong answer to your question. Just a matter of preference. If I were you I would pick up a three element for $12 or whatever DTR is selling them for these days and give it a try.
I'm going to start with the 3 element lens I think...because I'm poor. I'll buy aG-2 or something if I don't like it

G1, G2, G9 are all pretty much the same. I've taken samples with 4 of each lens in brand new (no dust) condition and seen no difference in the power output @ ~450nm wavelengths.
Thank you very much. There are 2 different G-2 lens's on DTR's site.

the spot seems to be "in" the lens. laser is a month old and had very little use yet

March1201442342PMEST.jpg

I suspect that spot will have very little impact on your output and profile.

And just for the record I am not in disagreement with ARG, the differences in output are so small they should be regarded as negligible. I cannot remember who posted their findings on these but the one I reviewed showed a tiny gain with the G1/2 over the G9, in the order of a couple tens of mW on a raw output around 1 or 2 watts. It could have been ARG's post. Personally I don't believe there is any good reason to purchase a G1/2 over a G9 like you own. I cannot tell one iota of difference between them. You might talk with DTR and see if he has a replacement G9. Although he doesn't stock them he seems to have one or two from time to time he will sell (I bought one from him for $15 once).

That would be awesome if I could get this replaced for cheap just paid $200 and used it only a couple times.

Last edited:

DTR

Is this what you are seeing thinking it is a defect?
445%20lens%202.jpg

DTR

Sorry can't tell anything by your picture but if you are saying it looks like the picture I asked about that is normal for a high output lens. You can try a three element lens and see if you like them better.:beer:

DTR

The 700mW 635's should be here later this month early next.:)

Sorry can't tell anything by your picture but if you are saying it looks like the picture I asked about that is normal for a high output lens. You can try a three element lens and see if you like them better.:beer:
thanks for your time. the dot I believe changed so I have suspicion still. Not sure they compare but my 1w Spartan's dot looks much much nicer :) I'll probably be ordering a few lenses soon.

Last edited:
The 700mW 635's should be here later this month early next.:)

Hmmm .....cube two- clip the beam-- could make 1+W of tight red-- any clue ATM how much these will cost us??

DTR

Not yet but soon hopefully. I just hope they have better beam specs than the Mitsubishi diodes.:beer:

Last edited: