Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

DragonLasers 589nm "50mW" - Very displeased so far (LPM: 7mw to 24mW)

^^^Here's the thing. A company has my full support only so long as it stands behind it's products.

They have decent quality control, but not perfect quality control - clearly. Which is fine IMO. So long as the company is willing to stand behind the product and make right situations where someone unlucky gets a bad product.

The way they addressed this problem, shows to me that they aren't willing to stand by their product post production, and because of that I will not recommend them to anyone, or buy from them.

There are other companies who go the extra mile... they will get my business.

@Infinitus: What does that mean? I can't understand that and googletranslate tells me BS about your sentence :D

What I mean is that the way way DL handled this situation will lead them to lose business that they would otherwise have from the member of this forum. I used to recommend DL all the time... and considered them a reputable company, I no longer hold that view.

Last edited:
What I mean is that the way way DL handled this situation will lead them to lose business that they would otherwise have from the member of this forum. I used to recommend DL all the time... and considered them a reputable company, I no longer hold that view.

Thanks for the explanation!
Sorry that i have had to ask for it because it sounded strange to me :eek:
I love your view about DragonLasers business behaviours and hope alot of people read this thread and refuse doing business with them.
I realy feel mad about there answers to me @ Facebook, that is absolutely a no go :yabbmad:
(Too bad the thread is now gone :( )

@rhd: I'll keep my fingers crossed that VISA will get your money back from them scammers!

Thank god for this thread, otherwise I may have bought that exact same laser. :p

DJNY

DL doesn´t have the 50mW 589nm any longer.

They never had it :whistle:

^^^Think he got a partial refund only.

Considering they made him use very expensive shipping IMO that's not right.

rhd

They refunded my purchase price, minus about $60 that the kept.

They claimed that the didn't keep $60, even in the face of screenshots from my credit card invoice showing the amount they billed, and the amount they refunded.

All said and done, I was out $120 to $130 because of DragonLasers' behavior.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
Last edited:

madog

I'm so thankful for Hak, Gray, and JetL as I too had a negative experience with Dragon and a 200mw Hulk that crapped out on me in under a week!

rhd

JetLasers are phenomenal. So awesome that I don't even want to mention them alongside DL.

Jet is a great company. Different ball park from DL.

I had the impression that DL are a good company.

Don't know what happened to them in rhd's case and why it happened.

It's hard to gain reputation, but it's easy to lose.

Last edited:

rhd

I had the impression that DL are a good company.

Don't know what happened to them in rhd's case and why it happened.

It's hard to gain reputation, but it's easy to lose.

I know exactly what happened :) At least, I'm fairly certain I do.

DL was "taking advantage" of the fact that CNI 589s were often coming in over-spec. So they were buying (probably) 5mW units. Then they were binning them. They'd sell the units that were low in power as 5mW units for $399. Then they'd sell the units that were high in power as 50mW for $699.

It was brilliant on their part, and I'm sure they made a handsome profit. But of course, it was only sustainable as long as CNI 589s kept coming in way overspec. For whatever reason, that stopped happening (CNI isn't stupid, they probably noticed what the jerks at DL were doing). What I'm not entirely clear on, is why DL actually sold these "50mW" 589s once they lost the steady source of overspec units from CNI.

I speculate that they probably sold units they didn't really have, and/or sold speculatively while units were still en route from CNI. Then when the units arrived, and weren't overspec to the degree that DL had advertised, they tried to pass off the most powerful units in the lot as "50mW", even though they were no longer actually receiving 50mW units.

That's the *evil* explanation. The *incompetence* explanation is that DL doesn't own an LPM, and were just subjectively binning lasers based on human perception of brightness. Maybe they didn't know they had sold me a 23mW.

Note that DL no longer sells this laser. Make absolutely no mistake about it, the "50mW" units that DL was selling, WERE NOT purchased as "50mW" units from CNI. I know that DL has said (on their FB page etc) that they were experiencing trouble with the high-powered 589s. They sure were, but that "trouble" was not CNI's fault. DL had a creative and profitable scheme to extract the marginal value found in overspec lasers. It just wasn't sustainable.

Again, bits and pieces of this are speculative on my part - but it's the best explanation I've been able to piece together so far. I'm sure it has cost DL more than the $130 they screwed me out of at this stage. If people want to buy from DL, I'm not going protest too violently (apart from occasionally pasting this thread's URL into a quick reply post!)

Last edited:
You are scolding DL despite them giving you a refund minus shipping costs? At least they gave you a refund for about 80% of the all the costs. I’m not defending them but at least they offered something back.

It is stupid to compare DL to a scam, scam companies don’t have a previous good reputation and won’t refund you anything or reply to any emails!

Maybe the people(s) in charge has changed? or there was a technical error?
You guys speak like they took your money and sent you are non-working device and won’t offer any refund or response!

It is unfortunate the situation for you has become so dire.

You are scolding DL despite them giving you a refund minus shipping costs? At least they gave you a refund for about 80% of the all the costs. I’m not defending them but at least they offered something back.

It is stupid to compare DL to a scam, scam companies don’t have a previous good reputation and won’t refund you anything or reply to any emails!

Maybe the people(s) in charge has changed? or there was a technical error?
You guys speak like they took your money and sent you are non-working device and won’t offer any refund or response!

It is unfortunate the situation for you has become so dire.

They didn't refund shipping costs, and an extra $60...

Than what exactly are you doing:thinking:

Plenty of scams are long term... in fact the bigger ones are almost always long cons where people are provided with excellent service right up until their money is stolen

So it's OK for a company to rip people off, just so long as they have some kind of an excuse?

They sent a grossly underspec, not as advertised laser... if you're ok with that, I have a 1W green laser to sell to you, only $500...

What exactly is the point of your post? Companies rip people off, learn to live with it and keep your mouth shut?

Your whole post seems to attack the validity of the OP's claim, while offering absolutely no substance to back up any such insinuations.

If you had positive transactions with DL, that's great, however it does not change the fact that the company sold an underspec laser and refused to make it right.

You're either trolling, or working for DL. Neither helps your case, or the case of DL.