Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Donating to LPF

Doofus

Why are your hosting costs so high? Or is this more "omg, I'm poor, pay me"? lol.

I've been running dedicated servers for years now, my cheapest colo is $50, my most expensive is $130, and they're all on fantastic connections.

Yes, I do understand high bandwidth websites and their demands, I'm not saying "omg I'm a kid and I don't know how much a website is" just asking what donating is paying for, since it seems a little high for one or two servers.

shadowvale

Administrator
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
hi doofus

i not only pay for a dedicated server but dedicated hardware firewall as well. i could have cheaper hosting or use a VPS, but in terms of risk i would rather pay more to protect the data and the lock down the box as much as possible.. i work in the information security field and naturally value the confidentiality and integrity of the data -- not just the availability of the site.. i am willing to pay more to have a monster server and complete control over the system and firewall. LPF is growing extremely fast and this is def the wise move in planning for the future... for what i need i am actually getting a very good deal compared to other competition

donations pay for ~71% of the hosting cost currently assuming the 250 goal is met... i am highly appreciative regarding donations.. i am the only person who maintains the forum and it is like a part-time job

jayrob

Besides that, with nearly 8000 members and growing, we should easily make the quota each month without even hardly trying to help!

You'll see my contribution on the 1st of every month Avery...

Thanks for a great forum!

:gj:
Jay

shadowvale

Administrator
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
thx for your continued support Jay and everyone who has donated!

btw just so u guys know... if we ever don't make the quota it is OK.. even 100 to 150 a month is a big help.

thanks again to everyone

regards
-c0ld

Doofus

I'm bad at remembering to pay for things unless I get an email or a reminder. If you set up a paypal subscription thing, for like $10 a mo. I'm sure a.) I'd do it and b.) more people might.

(easier on us, it's automatic)

Oh, also meant to add: I know you're in the field, I see that CCSP avatar :p I got my mcse and redhat certs, then decided I wanted to get out of the field. Joined the army, went infantry... 2 years later, I'm back at my old job bein an admin again, lol. Can't escape!

shadowvale

Administrator
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
regarding the subscription thing i haven't look into it but right now the level of donations is def. very good.. need to research subscriptions more but i wouldn't want it to interfere with site

i was thinking of doing redhat certs actually, what level did u get up to for that one?
RHCE looks really challenging but a valuable one to get.. thats awesome your in the field too.. right now my main tasks involve researching malware and phishing, network security, and building an intelligence program. also learning perl for reporting / etc.

ps your website is really cool, how long have u had it for?

talk soon man
peace

Hi Avery, just sent in my humble donation, but every little bit helps right ? Thanks so much for our GREAT FORUM..................phoenix77 aka rob

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
thx Dennis!!! sent u some rep points

thanks again man

Hi Avery, Donations seem to be lagging a bit this month so I scraped up some cash for ANOTHER donation for this month !!!! This is for ALL the members that are NOT donating any cash AT ALL; Come on guys, I know we ALL can't make SIZEABLE donations every month, but even a dollar or two will help Avery run this Forum we all use & enjoy. So, open your wallets, dust off those bills you have stashed in there for emergencies, & send in SOMETHING for the month, PLEASE ? Every little bit helps. For the guys that donate on a regular or semi-regular basis, I want to thank you personally for helping Avery run this Forum. I use it as much as anyone & even my doctor says that having this Forum to read & participate in (as well as the laser hobby in general) helps me cope with life's crap, helps my depression from getting worse, & helps my over-all health to have something like this to focus on. So again, my thanks to you all. For the rest, pry open those money bags so we can make the donation goal for the month, & help ME stay sane........LOL...............rob

Thanks for your donation John, I TRIED to upgrade your repz but the system won't allow me to yet, sorry. Hey everyone, Please follow John Lawson's fine example of Donation Help. Our Forum NEED'S your help, THIS MEANS YOU, LOL you know who you are!!!!!! rob

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
thx for your help guys.. we are in good shape regarding donations... some people donated outside of the LPF donation application so the stats on the green bar are not entirely up to date (i can't manually update the green bar for manual paypal donations)

but yeah we are in good shape guys

enjoy the site!
peace
-ave