Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Donating to LPF

Benm

To be honest, i also wonder: where does the money go?

$400 a month to host LPF sounds insanely expensive. I have no idea what things are hosted on, but $400 a month rents you 2 dedicated servers here, including 10 TB traffic each, 2 terabyte ssd drives each, and 2 hours of dedicated support monthly.

To be honest i think that is an insane amount of hosting requirement, and even a popular forum like this should require only a fraction of it.

CoryB

That number should be up to an even $100 very soon now. :)

Appreciate the forum.

CoryB

To be honest, i also wonder: where does the money go?

$400 a month to host LPF sounds insanely expensive. I have no idea what things are hosted on, but $400 a month rents you 2 dedicated servers here, including 10 TB traffic each, 2 terabyte ssd drives each, and 2 hours of dedicated support monthly.

To be honest i think that is an insane amount of hosting requirement, and even a popular forum like this should require only a fraction of it.

It's more like $250...

http://laserpointerforums.com/f56/donation-goal-decrease-62219.html

Benm

I guess that's a more realistic figure, though the links in that thread seem to be no longer working at this time.

Prices for hosting have come down a LOT in 10 years or so though. I remember paying $100 a month for a (dedicated) server with 100 GB traffic at rackshack about 10 or 15 years ago. Back then hosting in the US was cheaper compared to europe.

Nowadays this has come down to a tenth of that with a VPS even in europe. I guess you don't get the private hardware for that money, but you do get the performance, bandwidth and storage space.

Just getting 100 GB of diskspace, a terabyte of traffic and 2 gig of dedicated memory runs around 15 euros at the moment, a package that would probably meet the needs for LPF, though getting an hour or two of support a month ($80 each or so) would be worthwhile.

Well, now, that is weird. I did one donation in Febrary, had no confirmation, and the bar on the main page of LPF didn't get higher.
One week ago I did another donation, the story is pretty same -- no sighs of confirmation :undecided:
I remember that many times ago I did it and got a confirmation as well as a changed percent of the monthly goal.
I am not saying anything bad, but I am really confused about this, I don't want to see those transactions getting lost.

Peace, be safe

I believe the bar needs to be manually updated and the op might not be getting to it due to having a life to live. Not trying to give attitude, just the facts man :)

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
You can view what donations have been placed.
You made a $10 donation on the 2nd Feb, and a $20 donation on the 16th Feb. Nothing afterwards. I know you have to wait a bit before yours shows up.
Also a note to those who donate on the 1st day of the month. If you are in a time zone ahead of the US, then your donation may go onto last months total.
Laser Pointer Forums - Donations

Last edited: