Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Donating to LPF

jayrob

LPF Site Supporter
New month, March.

Donation sent...

Thanks for the great forum Avery! :beer:

Benm

To be honest, i also wonder: where does the money go?

$400 a month to host LPF sounds insanely expensive. I have no idea what things are hosted on, but $400 a month rents you 2 dedicated servers here, including 10 TB traffic each, 2 terabyte ssd drives each, and 2 hours of dedicated support monthly.

To be honest i think that is an insane amount of hosting requirement, and even a popular forum like this should require only a fraction of it.

CoryB

That number should be up to an even $100 very soon now. :)

Appreciate the forum.

CoryB

To be honest, i also wonder: where does the money go?

$400 a month to host LPF sounds insanely expensive. I have no idea what things are hosted on, but $400 a month rents you 2 dedicated servers here, including 10 TB traffic each, 2 terabyte ssd drives each, and 2 hours of dedicated support monthly.

To be honest i think that is an insane amount of hosting requirement, and even a popular forum like this should require only a fraction of it.
It's more like $250...

http://laserpointerforums.com/f56/donation-goal-decrease-62219.html

Benm

I guess that's a more realistic figure, though the links in that thread seem to be no longer working at this time.

Prices for hosting have come down a LOT in 10 years or so though. I remember paying $100 a month for a (dedicated) server with 100 GB traffic at rackshack about 10 or 15 years ago. Back then hosting in the US was cheaper compared to europe.

Nowadays this has come down to a tenth of that with a VPS even in europe. I guess you don't get the private hardware for that money, but you do get the performance, bandwidth and storage space.

Just getting 100 GB of diskspace, a terabyte of traffic and 2 gig of dedicated memory runs around 15 euros at the moment, a package that would probably meet the needs for LPF, though getting an hour or two of support a month ($80 each or so) would be worthwhile.

Ricker

Donation sent, a little bigger since I've missed a few months, thanks for the amazing forum Avery!

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Small donation sent! Thanks for the great forum and community! :beer:

jayrob

LPF Site Supporter
New month, April.

Donation sent...

Thanks for the great forum Avery! :beer:

Alaskan

LPF Site Supporter
Mine are always sent on the 15th, autopay on PPal, but coming then.

Ivansuper

Well, now, that is weird. I did one donation in Febrary, had no confirmation, and the bar on the main page of LPF didn't get higher.
One week ago I did another donation, the story is pretty same -- no sighs of confirmation :undecided:
I remember that many times ago I did it and got a confirmation as well as a changed percent of the monthly goal.
I am not saying anything bad, but I am really confused about this, I don't want to see those transactions getting lost.

Peace, be safe

Alaskan

LPF Site Supporter
I believe the bar needs to be manually updated and the op might not be getting to it due to having a life to live. Not trying to give attitude, just the facts man :)