Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Does anyone's diode died?

.3lite

Yea, pretty much thats it, I'm wondering if someone's diode died? Because I haven't heard anything, but if so, how did it die? Overdrived?
That's the info I need, because I would like to run these diodes really long at atleast 1A (so the output must be around 1W).

Re: Does anyone diode died?

Bill says that he cranked one of these up to 1900mA, and it still did not go LED instantly.
We do not even know the limits of these.

I plan to drive mine also at 1A, which could be considered conservative since a lot of folks drive them up to 1.2 A (1 ohm resistor on DDL style driver).

Eudaimonium told me his diode died at 1A, though it shouldn't have. It was probably a bad diode.

Eudaimonium told me his diode died at 1A, though it shouldn't have. It was probably a bad diode.
It was probably one in a million , according to my luck, so I do not think anybody else should worry about setting diodes as high as 1A, maybe more.

There are other reasons that the 445nm LDs die besides
Current... I blew my first one at 300mA from a cap discharge...

And after taking more precautions the others are running
fine at 1.3A and 1.5A... for 1 minute on times..

Jerry

i sold one to a friend to make sure i would have spare money and he had it working for all of 10 min before he sneezed and shorted out the driver.
It was funny because i thought it was a joke but then he asked for his money back and i had to say no while laughing...
i felt bad but hey he should not have sneezed on the driver...
even after that tho on a new driver it still lased just not super bright about 1/4 of it original brightness at 800
still beats out my 5mw green that i think is under spec.

daguin

Seoul_laser had one fail.
FlamingPyro had a couple bad out of the array.
I have one "zombie" that will only put out ~250mW.
Chris killed one at high current.

Peace,
dave

Last edited:
ah, its good to hear 1A should be reasonable. Im having mine set to 900mA when it comes, and I was slightly worried it would be too much.

Giface

HIMNL9 just posted that in the projector they're running at 1.84A for a maximum duty cycle of 80% @120Hz. So if one dies at less than that, then I guess it was either a DUD, or exposed to ESD, or poorly heatsinked (heatsunked :thinking:).

Dave

jbtm

The most I've done was 1A with multiple 5 minute runs. This is when I had a large 3x4x1 inch heatsink, originally designed for peltier units. It ran good temp, below 80F...Now I have it in a 18650 host doing 650mA for short runs.

No signs of diode going bad, still makes a nice smooth blue line on the wall, when there's no lens on it :)

Morgan

COD, (Catastrophic Optical Damage), has done for one that was posted somewhere. Standard Aixiz acrylic lens I believe. No AR coating and high power doesn't mix too well it seems. Must get an AR coated lens is the lesson here I think.

M
:)

I've killed one. I was using an acrylic lens and it melted on me. It was set at 880mA, those back reflections are killer.

Wow, i heard of reflections off of mirrors and shiny objects and stuff destroying the
lasers' die, but not of the focusing lens. Good thing to know.

i've run my laser at 1A for 30mins at a time still going strong. i guess i'll be putting a sneeze guard on my driver as i'm a little sick. :D