Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Do you enjoy the Reputation system of LPF?

Do you enjoy the rep system?

• Yes I do.

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Votes: 6 25.0%
  • No, I do not.

Votes: 2 8.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The one thing I wish this forum had was a time online tracker. That would show people how dedicated (how much you dont have a life) to this forum. In the last year I've probably spent a good 2 months online here (1400 hours) :eek:

I'm not totally sure that would do any good. I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I have LPF open in the background at all times. Even if I'm gaming. Just so I can tab back to it, refresh my CP, and check for new posts / messages. Therefore for me it would basically be the same as "Join Date", since it's almost always running.

------------

I think the rep system is great. It motivates a lot of positive things.

High rep'd members are more trusted in deals and transactions, and are generally given a little more respect than the average "No avatar, 0 rep, 10 posts" member, and especially more respect than a red-bar member.

It promotes good behavior throughout the forums because you're more motivated to be helpful and friendly, rep being the reward for it. And, in turn, the rep turns in to what I mentioned above with more trust / respect generally.

Note: Not saying that high rep is all that earns respect around here. I'm just saying that they had to get that rep some how, and more times than not they'll have earned the respect of many on the way up. :beer:

Edit:
Members with high rep generally deserve it whilst some people with high rep may be complete dickh:)ds.

I like how you censored "heads", instead of what is actually considered swearing. xD

Last edited:
I personally am with zraffle on this one. I don't like nor hate it, but it does give you that much more insight on some people at first glance. It doesn't speak all however. It is simply another tool to help you know about the reliability of the member, and that they're not pulling your leg.

Ears and Eggs

Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
TBH, I'm not a huge fan of it, at least in it's current form. As a mod since 2009 I find it has caused more problems than good unfortunately.

There are certainly benefits, especially when it comes to buying/selling, as one can quickly read through someone's rep and see if there are any major complaints about their transaction history.

Beyond that I find more problems than solutions though. I find far to many people take rep way too seriously. A neg rep has many times been the cause of a conflict between two or more members, and as a mod I have been on many occasions bombarded with PMs from members irate over a neg rep and screeching for it to be removed.

I've always though that the best solution would be to somehow have the rep system only used for sale/trade/purchase feedback. Maybe there could be "ribbons", ie small under-avatar graphics, that would be awarded to members that have contributed a lot outside of the trade section. Developer, photographer, builder, tutorial writer, etc...

Last edited:

DJNY

TBH, I'm not a huge fan of it, at least in it's current form. I find far to many people take rep way too seriously.

So the system is to blame for? :whistle:

IMO it´s good that people take it serious. It partially "replaces" feedback you might get in reality.
You might think more about what you said / you´ve done when getting feedback. Here you get more time to think about it tahn in real life.

Everybody who wants +4rep-power is allowed to send me $50 to my PayPal!! (you´ve to come up for the PP fees yourself)

IsaacT

Shoot, I'll give out a +2.5 to anyone who sends me 15 dollars on PP. I am cheap :p

EDIT: DJNY, got ya to a nice little milestone :p

Last edited:

Tmack

I've seen neg rep given for some crazy reasons. No doubt personal on some occasions. That is childish. I've only ever neg rep obvious trolls. It just feels petty to give out neg rep on a Internet forum. Some members here are no doubt self proclaimed " hall monitors " of LPF.

Last edited:

DJNY

DJNY, got ya to a nice little milestone :p

Awesome, now I can die as a hay man :na:

I've seen neg rep given for some crazy reasons. No doubt personal on some occasions. That is childish. I've only ever neg rep obvious trolls. It just feels petty to give out neg rep on a Internet forum. Some members here are no doubt self proclaimed " hall monitors " of LPF.

I strongly try to avoid giving neg-reps, as some guys here take it much too serious. But I give harsh critics when I´m bugged (usually takes many similar posts / statemets).

I never recognized the meaning of the changing rep power / rep points till I had 50 rep-power or so and read about it somewhere.

I enjoy it very often, in fact sometimes more than once in the same day. I find it to be easily enjoyed,
quite easily enjoyed. It is a thing to be verymuch enjoyed indeed. So enjoyable in fact that I'm enjoying
it right now, this very minute, this very second. I would say that right now, that is, in the present time,
my enjoyment levels are quite high in regards to this reputation points thingy of which we are having a
current and ongoing discussion, and a very meaningful discussion at that. Perhaps some of you are
being discussted right now. Well, perhaps these aforementioned reputation points, which we also
happen to be discussing in the current, most present times, will go on being enjoyed for some time to
come.

So to sum up, my advice would be to enjoy early and enjoy often. :undecided:

IsaacT

Had you nothing meaningful to say? Or maybe a night's revelry has tired your mental faculties, and upon arriving at your home you made the odd decision to ramble about nothing in a thread. Truly, I am baffled. Care to elaborate?

I enjoy it very often, in fact sometimes more than once in the same day. I find it to be easily enjoyed,
quite easily enjoyed. It is a thing to be verymuch enjoyed indeed. So enjoyable in fact that I'm enjoying
it right now, this very minute, this very second. I would say that right now, that is, in the present time,
my enjoyment levels are quite high in regards to this reputation points thingy of which we are having a
current and ongoing discussion, and a very meaningful discussion at that. Perhaps some of you are
being discussted right now. Well, perhaps these aforementioned reputation points, which we also
happen to be discussing in the current, most present times, will go on being enjoyed for some time to
come.

So to sum up, my advice would be to enjoy early and enjoy often. :undecided:

DJNY

^I´m sure it was his intention to say nothing at all :)

Last edited:
Everybody who wants +4rep-power is allowed to send me $50 to my PayPal!! (you´ve to come up for the PP fees yourself)

Pffft. How about you PP me $50, and I'll let you rep me. Gotta pay to put your name on my "Reputation Received" list. ;) :beer:

ped

/on topic :banghead:

Different forums use different systems , it's horses for courses.

My GSM forum & unlocker forums profile respectively. Thanks & points .

VGVyJi1.jpg

If it brings out the best of us and helps all to get along. Despite some risks for abuse, there're some incentives too. Like the LPF reputation descriptions that's listed : HERE :umbrella: Yet that may even stoke the 7 deadlies sometimes. There've been people only known by #s who are in camps or behind bars.:eek:
1) X is infamous around these parts (1 red bar);
2) X is an unknown quantity at this point (1/0 green bar);
3) X is on a distinguished road (1/0 green bar);
4) X will become famous soon enough (1-2/0 green bars);
5) X has a spectacular aura about (2-3/0 green bars);
6) X is a jewel in the rough (3-4/0 green bars);
7) X is just really nice (4-5/0 green bars);
8) X is a glorious beacon of light (5/0 green bars);
9) X is a name known to all (5/0-1 green bars);
10) X is a splendid one to behold (5/1-3 green bars);
11) X has much to be proud of (5/3-5 green bars);
12) X has a brilliant future (5/5-6 green bars);
13) X has a reputation beyond repute (5/6 green bars).