Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

do we need the reputation system after the move?

Do we want the Reputation system in the new style?

• Yes, everyone needs to know who the scoundrels are!

Votes: 43 63.2%
  • No, was just a opportunity to play favorites and served no purpose.

Votes: 25 36.8%

• Total voters
Well said, Charlie (above, post #31). As a supporter of some sort of rep system, I do believe that, if properly done, a rep system could be very beneficial. There just doesn't seem to be any real structure to this new rep system. Because of the lack of structure, it is useless IMO.

I hesitate to judge the worth of any member, both since it's not my place, and since "contribution" can be defined in many ways and is really in the eye of the beholder. It's not up to any us to determine if a person's positive reps are justified. Our opinions of helpfulness and pleasant behavior vary greatly from person to person. Whether a rep point is earned or just given for no reason, a positive rep is a positive rep. No single member should have the right to belittle other members or the system just because IN THEIR OPINION the rep isn't justified. Just because one person thinks that a member has made a worthwhile contribution, another person may think it's crap.

I do want to add, however, that the rep accumulated so far is based on whatever rep we each had in the old forum, NOT solely on what has been accomplished here in the past few days..

Last edited:

Rep systems are popularity contests. I agree with Kenom's reasoning. It's readily apparent who the highly reputable members of these forums are. It's not too much to expect of one to read some posts on the forums.

Dump the rep system.

Kenom

well I'm sure that there are "add-on"'s for reputation that are better than the existing one that comes with vbulletin. I'm not against the reputation system as a matter of fact I worked very hard to earn the reputation that I have here and on ebay as an example. Maybe someone more knowledgable than I can search for a good rep add-on that we can bring to shadowvales attention.

jayrob

There just needs to be a way to view the comments left in a persons rep...

Or your own rep. I have never received a negative rep, but if someone left me an unhappy comment, I would want to fix the problem and make it right.
Jay

No need rep, on the old lpf i had 13, then on this one at the start i had 26... ATM 0!
We can use Visitor Message, to leave good or neg feedback

-Greg

Then limit the rep system to the BST area only.

Mike

I agree with this. It is nice to know who is knowledgable and outgoing and all..... But I think it is more important to know who others have had successful business transactions with. Being a trustworthy member is what is important here, especially in the B/S/T section.

I liked the old rep system, as stated for BST and stuff, but look what happened to mogheburg for selling lasers....

The new rep is nice, like ken said, if we could view their rep it would be more useful.

That had to do with his website not the Reputation system on LPF....

Jerry

IMO, the rep points should be judged by coldshadow. If some member wants to give a guy a rep point he PMs cold to add rep to him (with a legitimate reason), since members do tend to abuse rep systems.

I would say no in general, but visible for B/S/T. I noticed that somethimes rep points can create discrimination towards newer members. Sorry if I sound a bit excessive, but I write what I think.

-s-

Last edited:

Deadly

As a new member, I've relied on the reputation system for making purchases. Reading the comments is necessary and I always try to ignore the rhetoric and look for quality feedback from other trusted members. Hopefully reputation comments can be made viewable on Vbulletin.
-LaserBrain

What do you guys think about having the rep system be an "opt in" deal. :confused: So if rep is important to you, c0ld can add it to your profile. and only people with rep on can give others rep.:D that way for the people who don't like rep don't have to worry about it. :p

michael

I strongly concur

Then limit the rep system to the BST area only.

Mike

Sigh... the popularity contest has begun. I am very troubled that the Rep system, at least as it applies to me, is turning out to be an indication of whether you think I'm "cool" or you dislike me because you are Jake's buddy.

I strongly believe that the Rep system should only be used to indicate what type of buyer/seller a person is. This is where it is most valuable to everyone.
The popularity issues should be kept to GUEST MESSAGES or maybe posted in the OTHER thread section. http://laserpointerforums.com/laser_pointer_forums_3/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=57

For you crybabies and revenge Rep'ers ... all I have to say is LOL:cool:

Last edited: