Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Distant early warning... 445nm to be banned soon?

"Due to a potentially hazardous situation and the possibility of litigation it was decided that rendering the 445nM forum inoperable is in the best interests of the community at large and for the safety of all participants here at PL and the public. The situation is getting increasingly complicated and for that I apologize.
Public safety comes first. And while I loathe the idea of destroying a forum, it really is the best option available until more information becomes available."

They removed the 445 forum from photonlexicon. I am unsure why, but it looks like they got contacted by the feds or Casio corporate attorneys.. :O

They'd probably say so if they got contacted by somebody.

They mostlikely did it for the reason they mentioned:

"in the best interests of the community at large and for the safety of all participants here at PL and the public."

Just like everyone here has been getting scared about this crap :p

Things

While it hasn't happened yet, LPF may have the same kind of situation. The threat is very real for Avery and LPF members involved with these diodes.

The dangers are well understood by now.
I don't think that closing a forum will make the world a safe place to live in.

The cat is out of the bag, so we may as well just come to peace with our fate. Censorship of information and ideas is never a good thing.

I am still concerned that this hobby could be ruined, but for the most part I am over it. I'm mostly just ready for everyone to shut up about their damned non-existent "Arctic" already so I can stop seeing "Wicked Lasers" at the top of the Recent Posts.

Pilgor

if the 445nm section gets closed I think we should combine all "blue" sections together.(405nm-473nm)

lets not forget the posts about "Im calling Casio!!!" & "The issue is now going through "proper" industry channels"...

im sure that had nothing to do with it.
:tinfoil:

I am still concerned that this hobby could be ruined, but for the most part I am over it. I'm mostly just ready for everyone to shut up about their damned non-existent "Arctic" already so I can stop seeing "Wicked Lasers" at the top of the Recent Posts.

quoted for truth! as neat as they are, and we all have one coming (lols) i am still 100% focused on my rgb build and am even having second thoughts on my order.

it was really funny to go out last night and hear people publicly talking about this light saber pointer, etc etc etc. although i know these people would never spend more than 15$ on a laser pointer, the fact that its THIS public, and well known is what really worries me

i work at microsoft and personally know of ~20 people here that ordered one as well... only one was someone i advised to, because hes the only one i would trust with it hah.

im gonna be wearing my damn goggles around the office now rofl.

They'd probably say so if they got contacted by somebody.

They mostlikely did it for the reason they mentioned:

"in the best interests of the community at large and for the safety of all participants here at PL and the public."

Just like everyone here has been getting scared about this crap :p
I wouldn't bet on them announcing that they were contacted, especially if they were told not to.
It's like when a company fires a high level manager or other highly regarded employee, an announcement is made that the individual "left the company to pursue other interests", when in fact it was not the employee's decision at all.

null

I never visited that forum mentioned in the OP, but I think that closing the (this) forum would do exactly the opposite of making people safer and better informed.

I never visited that forum mentioned in the OP, but I think that closing the (this) forum would do exactly the opposite of making people safer and better informed.

The entirety of LPF will not be closed (hopefully not any time soon).
And the forum PhotonLexicon (PL) is still open, but the 445nm section was closed. This discussion is about whether LPF will go the same route and close the 445nm section here as well.

I vote no. I don't think it will happen unless it is requested by Casio or a Gov. agency.
There is no benefit from closing the 445nm section.

I wouldn't bet on them announcing that they were contacted, especially if they were told not to.
It's like when a company fires a high level manager or other highly regarded employee, an announcement is made that the individual "left the company to pursue other interests", when in fact it was not the employee's decision at all.
I don't see why it would matter if they did say something.
I still doubt in this case they were contacted. We're still here :p

daguin

Self-preservation will probably end up being the deciding factor.

Peace,
dave

well i might just have to get crafty about selling them now wont i?
dave you have a pm

LSRFAQ

lets not forget the posts about "Im calling Casio!!!" & "The issue is now going through "proper" industry channels"...

im sure that had nothing to do with it.
:tinfoil:

Just so you know...
I never called Casio, there was a line of folks ahead of me already doing that!

Steve

well i might just have to get crafty about selling them now wont i?
Do you still have plans to sell single diodes to established members?
It is starting to look like it might be a good idea to hold off selling to newcomers & those that weren't active before $50 445nm.