Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Disco Proj SL-1

I just got my Disco Projector SL-1 from "merryxmas2008" today . An ebay sale.
This is advertised as a 30 mW green disco show using audio input. They shipped quickly but customs sat on it for 10 days before sending it on to me.
This is not your DMX, computer controled show but for the price, it is just a fun stepper, not galvo, projo. Rated at 30 mW, mine tested at 60 mW and easily turned up to 75 mW.
Input is soly audio from a microphone but I have added a capacitor to make it continuous run and I will add an audio port for input there.
A basic cheap projo for fun.

HMike

Here's a photo of the interior (voiding my warranty) showing a good sized heat sink for the green laser and a cooling fan.

1232-sl-1.jpg

Last edited:

Hey Mike,
I couldn't find these on Ebay for more details. What kind of patterns does it make, sound-activated squiggles or spiro-patterns, ?

How much was it?
Nice find!

Look at Item # 390107073084 on ebay.
He's now asking $69 PLUS shipping. I offered $62 and got it. It puts out random patterns squiggles etc.
HMike

I'm adding a power switch, free run switch and line in audio jack. Nothing major just basic stuff.

HMike

I have added the power switch and free run switch. How do you limit the beam spread on a servo system? It's all over the place in the room.
It appears that the servo has one power input and 4 lines controled by a ULN2804 driver. Perhaps limiting voltage to the servo .......

HMike

Last edited:
Hey guys -- How does a servo work ?? It looks to have a single V+ input and the drivers on the outputs.

HMike

Things

Mike, those are stepper motors. They work by applying power to multiple coils in sequential steps. I'm not sure how you would decrease these steps without modifying the internal code on the PIC/AVR or whatever it uses.

Things ol' buddy ------

Yes servo or stepper is not galvo. I agree. These "steppers" have what appears to be a single power input and a +/- output to the driver. I'm about ready to limit current to the Y stepper. 5 wire steppers. I don't want the vert scan to be so wide.

HMike

I had one of this, modded it and ended using a USB Stepper motor controller to make my own effects from computer. It was easy. Check this out: The Control Shop

P.S. Although I made my own soft to control the steppers the result was not good, as I was expecting more speed/resolution. So I moved on galvo scanners...

BTW you can use a cillindrical lens to reduce Y axis...

Just in case any of yall are were looking for some video, here is my old argon running on some steppers......

Its still for sale, but its not running on steppers anymore (like in the vid)
UPGRADED TO 12K Scanners
$400 +S&H See the link in my sig.

Last edited: