Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Dark_Horse's work is now famous - As Seen on TV!

rkcstr

Was watching The History Channel the other night and a show came on called Monster Quest.  This episode was about the "Swamp Stalker" and talked about these guys investigating this big foot-looking character in the woods of Arkansas.  Anyway, they proceed to spray some plants with a UV marker, which they then come back to later (at night) with a "UV source" to see if it has been disturbed. Well, the guy's "UV source" was a nice little Blu-ray laser.

So, I happen to know that someone here built that laser (what other fine laser community could it have come from??  ;D), so who wants their claim-to-fame?

Clip from the show:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDL_cFb7qZw[/media]
Unfortunately YouTube didn't keep the HD resolution, so it looks kinda crappy.

EDIT:
Picture of the closeup of the laser (click to enlarge)

Re: Somebody's work is now famous (15 min. of fame

not one of mine sadly

The laser was built by dark horse. Dark horse and I work with the guy who was on the
Monster quest show.

daguin

Dark_Horse & GooeyGus FTW!

Peace,
dave

rkcstr

GooeyGus said:
The laser was built by dark horse. Dark horse and I work with the guy who was on the
Monster quest show.

OooOoo... cool  :)

I knew DarkHorse, Igor told me, but I didn't know you were in the mix as well :)  What do you guys all do?,

Nice spotting ;)

That would be one of my personal Stainless-Steel "Slivers" using a PHR-803T diodes, set to output 125mW. I fit the systems with an "Ap-Cap" using a line-generating lens for scanning. I loaned out a couple of these set-ups for the filming project, I never sell completed laser-systems, even to the History-Channel.

The researcher's name is Rick Noll, AKA:"The Bigfoot hunter", a long-time crypto-zooligist researcher. As GG mentioned, we used to work for the same aerospace company together. I have had many very interesting conversions with Rick.
DH

rkcstr

that's cool :)

I was half-watching the show while trying to study when I see the guys talking about using UV dye and then I see him playing with a small purple dot, then the little hand-held laser and, with my girlfriend right next to me, yell "oh, look!  a blu-ray laser!  I bet I know the person who made that!", haha.  I figured it was someone from here  :D

Also, thought it was kinda funny how he did one of the stereotypical "high-power laser" tricks of popping a balloon ;D

rkcstr said:
[quote author=GooeyGus link=1235146586/0#3 date=1235149703]The laser was built by dark horse. Dark horse and I work with the guy who was on the
Monster quest show.

OooOoo... cool  :)

I knew DarkHorse, Igor told me, but I didn't know you were in the mix as well :)  What do you guys all do?, [/quote]

I am a tooling designer for Zodiac Aerospace, I design anything from molds for airplane-panels to robotics and automation-systems, mostly using 3-D Cad systems, I used to be a machinist, (of course).

Rick Noll was our "laser-tracker" operator, he would precisily measure points in space, (often-times on my tools), using a laser-tracker. Rick now works for Northrup Grumann in California.
The balloon-thing is probably my fault ;)

I will let GG explain his role.
DH

Im in charge of the calibrations of all our precisions instruments throughout the two-building facility (at the same place, Zodiac Aerospace). The two buildings are on the same campus, and are both pretty big, but I usually spend most my time in the north building because that is where my desk is, whereas Barry (dark_horse) is usually in the south building because that's where his desk is. Fortunately my job requires me to make a lot of trips over to the other building so I can bug him about laser stuff  :p

The funny part is that I actually knew him on this forum before we knew we worked with each other  ;D ;D ;D

Ha, y'all just got Rick Noll'd ;D

Congrats on having the laser shown! Wierd that they didnt demonstrate the laser burning things, 125mW is enough...

rkcstr

Geneticz said:
Ha, y'all just got Rick Noll'd   ;D

Congrats on having the laser shown! Wierd that they didnt demonstrate the laser burning things, 125mW is enough...

Wasn't really the point of the show... they were trying to find the "Swamp Stalker", not demonstrate the total awesomeness of lasers ;)

That is awesome! It's funny where these things show up...in them most unlikely of places. Good job guys!

lmao thats awesome! i was thinking of frothy when i saw the title but i was mistaken... ;D

rkcstr

Re: Dark Horse's work is now famous - As Seen on T

Changed the title to reflect the demystified person of fame :)

Re: Dark_Horse's work is now famous - As Seen on T

It's amazing how many of these you made to have one or two happen to fall into the hands of a "professional". Or maybe it's just the quality of your work.
Probably both, though. ;)