Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Customs SUCKS

-Update. My shit has been moved to a govnt warehouse. And I may be being charged storage fees and may have to hire a broker to go get my shit, or let it go and have them auction my shit off and collect money from my shit. Those dirty fucking criminals.

there is a possibility of intellectual property rights at hand and that customs is deeply concerned. SO....they will be hanging on to the package for another 15-30 days. Yippie!!!
Given this statement there are only 2 things that I can think of that would provoke this.
1. The word laser pointer printed on the box is owned by a company called laser pointer or some shit. This is trademark, and has nothing to do with intellectual property. If it's being held for intellectual property reasons, it has nothing to do with this.
2. The FDA and CE and ROHs and POHS labels printed on the instructions sheet inside the laser are definetly not issued by any of those organizations. Perhaps customs is wondering what the fuck is up with that. I myself was a little curious as to why those labels would be on there. I have no idea about this one, but that still doesn't sound like it has anything to do with intellectual property. It does sound like something customs might be interested in.

Lserfaq what up man?

-Update. My shit has been moved to a govnt warehouse. And I may be being charged storage fees and may have to hire a broker to go get my shit, or let it go and have them auction my shit off and collect money from my shit. Those dirty fucking criminals.

Ummm, no offense intended what-so-ever, but why are they the criminals for enforcing the laws? Isn't that the OTHER way around, I mean since they're the ones enforcing the laws?

I know it's a lot of money and all, and for that reason part of me does say "dude, that suuuucks a lot". But at the same time, my sympathy is tempered by the fact that laser import laws are not in any way new in the US, the law is decades old, and has been hashed and rehashed many times over on this forum and in other places. Definitely find out why they're holding the lasers, but if they're just enforcing the law, can you really blame them?

LOL, Very funny. I have a 6 figure job at an oil refinery. This was just a side gig. Also the only reason I lifted the price to $500 was so that nobody would buy any because they were held up in customs and I didnt have more than a couple sets left (to cover any possible defective units being returned) I'm am glad that you liked the idea of selling triple sets on ebay. Pretty original of you. I hope it is working out for you as much as it did for me. I made a good profit in the few months that I was doing it. Watch your tail when it comes to customs. As you can see from my situation, it can put a complete stop to everything. I don't wish that upon anyone.

My sympathy for you just evaporated:crackup:

My sympathy for you just evaporated:crackup:

LOL, yeah if it werent for my healthy income I would be bashing my head in the wall right now.

"I know it's a lot of money and all, and for that reason part of me does say "dude, that suuuucks a lot". But at the same time, my sympathy is tempered by the fact that laser import laws are not in any way new in the US, the law is decades old, and has been hashed and rehashed many times over on this forum and in other places. Definitely find out why they're holding the lasers, but if they're just enforcing the law, can you really blame them?"

Really? you knew that you weren't allowed to import 5mW laser in quantity? I am pretty sure not many of here knew that. Also I will say there were 3 greater than 5mW lasers in the package but usually when a package has somethin not allowed they take that one piece out of the parcel and send the rest on its way. I am going to have to pull the ignorant card here. Not for you. For myself.

Really? you knew that you weren't allowed to import 5mW laser in quantity? I am pretty sure not many of here knew that. Also I will say there were 3 greater than 5mW lasers in the package but usually when a package has somethin not allowed they take that one piece out of the parcel and send the rest on its way. I am going to have to pull the ignorant card here. Not for you. For myself.

I knew that every single electronic device that contains a laser of any kind, ever, has to have proper FDA accession/certification before it can be imported. Whether it be 5mW, 500W, or 0mW (as is the case for CD players where no light actually leaves the device, but they still contain a working laser). And honestly, maybe that particular point hasn't been covered on here as many times as it been for high powered lasers, but I am certain that it has been covered on this forum that every laser device imported to the US, no matter its power, has to be approved.

I am certain it has been mentioned before as well but the only time I have heard about it was from lsrfaq in this thread. So what we are saying is that any laser purchased from DX or FocalPrice or KAI or pretty much all the places we get our cheap lasers has te potential to be confiscated by customs no matter what the output?

YGG

That sucks, customs blows. Never liked them... nothing but pricks. I got a question as well though for anyone selling lasers here. If I was to buy one off LPF and have it shipped to Canada from the US do you think there would be any problems?

It's always a possibility but with one laser and into Canada you shouldn't have any problems so long as the proper precautions are taken.

I am certain it has been mentioned before as well but the only time I have heard about it was from lsrfaq in this thread. So what we are saying is that any laser purchased from DX or FocalPrice or KAI or pretty much all the places we get our cheap lasers has te potential to be confiscated by customs no matter what the output?

Yes, that is the law. However, just like people labeling their more expensive exports as $10 "gifts" to circumvent the law, they generally make it through because it isn't worth the effort of customs officials to inspect and verify the contents of every package--unless there is something obviously suspicious.

Your package probably contained enough of a certain item to raise suspicions, and that was probably why it's sitting in a warehouse waiting for you to pick it up. It's a risk you took, whether aware or unaware, and this time it bit you. At least you aren't getting fined or worse for importing-with-intent-to-sell contraband.

Yep I don't know how worse it could get. I am not familiar enough with import laws to know what kind of penalties are enforced. Who knows. Maybe I will get fined or sent to federal pound me in the ass prison.

Last edited:
Prison..no..fined..possible. They fined me $500 for bringing a bong through. They also took a set of antique cigar holders I bought for a friend. I fought tooth and nail for 6 months to get back the holders and finally got them back. They told me I was the first person to get anything back that they confiscated.

So, IMO, I'd let them keep the lasers. They were illegal, so if you fight it you might end up screwing yourself harder, or loosing even more money.

Prison..no..fined..possible. They fined me $500 for bringing a bong through. They also took a set of antique cigar holders I bought for a friend. I fought tooth and nail for 6 months to get back the holders and finally got them back. They told me I was the first person to get anything back that they confiscated.

So, IMO, I'd let them keep the lasers. They were illegal, so if you fight it you might end up screwing yourself harder, or loosing even more money.

Should have called it a "water-pipe" ;)

That's the short story. I could type 10 pages of bad things that happened on that trip before that, and all my girlfriends fault. We got robbed, missed our fight, ran out of money to get back, ect...

I think they call it a water filtration device now. :na:

Tech Junkie YOu look huge how did you get robbed?

And hey I fell for you, My last interest was airsoft. And well replica firearms? You can see how I heard people bitching allllllll the time

It's always a possibility but with one laser and into Canada you shouldn't have any problems so long as the proper precautions are taken.

Canada has no laser import restrictions whatsoever. I can import a 5 megawatt laser from China, declare "dangerous big-ass 5 Megawatt class XIII Laser" and it will still get to me with no risk of seizure or fines.

I think, however, over the next couple of years, Canada will introduce restrictions and follow the rest of the world....so get your lasers while they are allowed.

Tech Junkie YOu look huge how did you get robbed?

And hey I fell for you, My last interest was airsoft. And well replica firearms? You can see how I heard people bitching allllllll the time

My girlfriend was not watching our stuff on the tram and someone lifted my video cam from her back pack. She saw him run with it and before I could get out the door the tram operator closed the door and refused to open it. I was kicking the door out and yelling at him to open it. By the time he opened it the kid was gone. I called the cops and they would not believe me thinking I was pulling some insurance scam. I grabbed the cop by the shirt, got in his face and was almost arrested.