Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

CPU Overclocking

cust11

THAT'S WHY I OWN A HD4870 :):):)

2GHZ more out of a intel??? I am sure it's do able, but certainly not practicle. The most that I have been able to get out of my 2.4ghz quad is 3.6ghz STABLE.:):) I can't get it any hire than that!

I had my 2.5 (e5200) 3.6 currently.. at 4.3ghz while under 1.42v. I was bored and decided to gas cool my heatsink with the remainder of a nitrous oxide bottle through a regulator (1200psi > 40psi). It BARLEY reached 8c under futuremark testing. So I suppose you CAN get 2ghz more out of an intel. Although nitrous oxide being $6/lb it is very unconventional. I did not want to overcool the heatsink. A long duration of vaporized nitrous will crack the aluminum heatsink and could cause condensation.

-Mike

I had my 2.5 (e5200) 3.6 currently.. at 4.3ghz while under 1.42v. I was bored and decided to gas cool my heatsink with the remainder of a nitrous oxide bottle through a regulator (1200psi > 40psi). It BARLEY reached 8c under futuremark testing. So I suppose you CAN get 2ghz more out of an intel. Although nitrous oxide being $6/lb it is very unconventional. I did not want to overcool the heatsink. A long duration of vaporized nitrous will crack the aluminum heatsink and could cause condensation.

-Mike
I, too, have the E5200. Though I only have it at 2.75ghz due to my mobo not being able to change voltage :( I have read phenomenal things about this processor! Its overclocking capabilities are rather genius with its 12x multiplier. :D

cust11

Actually its multiplier goes to 12.5x if your motherboard supports .5 increments. It does amazing things for the price!

-Mike

See ;) I wasn't bluffing :p

Just get a nice heatsink (thermalright, don't worry too much about looks and get a freaking huge great heatsink) and OC :D:D

Has anybody ever owned and/or overclocked a socket A (462) CPU? Those things got real hot! I had a couple go out on me. One of them was because the fan quit. I remember waking up and thinking it was rather quiet. The CPU fan was a Delta 60mm x 38mm that sounded like a hair dryer. The HS burned me when I touched it. The HS had the rainbow effect on it because it got so hot.

Has anybody ever owned and/or overclocked a socket A (462) CPU? Those things got real hot! I had a couple go out on me. One of them was because the fan quit. I remember waking up and thinking it was rather quiet. The CPU fan was a Delta 60mm x 38mm that sounded like a hair dryer. The HS burned me when I touched it. The HS had the rainbow effect on it because it got so hot.

I've got a 120mm fan that makes so much noise it can shut down the crying baby from next door.

When I go to sleep I've to close this room's door as well as the door from the room I'm sleeping in :)

Yeah those socket A's got hot all right. I've got an Athlon Thunderbird 1GHz that hasn't been used for a few years, that thing idled at about 60C, load 80C+, CPU cooler was a Thermaltake TR2-M2 65mm, sounded like a jet turbine. Never tried to overclock it.

Is it strange that I am an Intel fan for CPUs and a AMD fan for graphics cards? Nvidea has screwed me over time and time again. Shoot one of their graphics cards managed to fry my north bridge after I set it up in SLI. I will never by Nvidea ever again.

Oh yeah, Nice birds.:)

I highly doubt that was caused by the graphics card. I have been running SLI for a few years now with new cards every 4-6 months and I have never had a problem. If the northbridge fried, it was likely due to the processor overclocking and/or motherboard problems.

The day I can download torrents & stuff while having my PC off I'll stop eating cereal.

:D

There are a couple of NAS storage devices that will allow you to do this. This one doesn't work with torrents...I don't think, but I do know that others will. :):)
Time to give up Cereal.:)
Newegg.com - LINKSYS NAS200 Network Storage - Network Storage (NAS)
"The built-in download manager enables users to initiate an FTP or HTTP download task from a PC's web browser. Once the task is initiated, the PC may be turned off, and the NAS200 will continue the download independently"

FYI: NAS storage devices can be very picky. Read up on all of the reviews before you decide to buy one. But once you have a good one, you will never go back. You can have them downloading your torrents for you with out it taking up your computer's resources. Very usefull if you ask me.:)

Last edited:
The day I can download torrents & stuff while having my PC off I'll stop eating cereal.

:D
You need a dedicated system just for that. You could use an old desktop or laptop and download torrents on it 24/7. I have an old laptop that is dedicated to downloads of all types, particularly torrents. It downloads to my NAS box so I can retrieve the data anywhere on my network or anywhere that I can get internet access.

I had a problem with fan noise as well. My studio machine was too noisy, so much so that I had to install the computer in a cubbyhole in the wall lined with sound-proof foam. The rear wall of the cubbyhole has a row of fans in it to keep things cool which vent into an adjoining room. I tried liquid-cooling throughout, but even the pump was too noisy. The only drawback is that when it's time to burn media I have to open a door to access the computer. It's a small price to pay for having as close to zero ambient noise as is possible in a home studio.

This has nothing to do with overclocking but is kind of interesting. My computer started crashing every 30 minutes or so and the video was acting funny. I use 2 video cards in SLI to have 4 monitors, I took out the video cards and found this.
burned.jpg

notice the capacitors. ouch.

the fan was also stuck, i think that's what caused the cap's to pop.

time to buy new video cards :)

-Kendall

YGG

I sold my GTX 260 core 216 to a friend because I needed money and then he gave my his 8800gt to use for now, HOT AS F**K. He said he got it to 100c once. Back to OC
Q6600
stock 2.4Ghz
OC: 3.6Ghz
Multi:8x
FSB:450
Stable on XP, vista shits in my face, so I usually run 3.2Ghz.

@sk8er4514: Popped caps are due to too much voltage. It's not the first time I've seen that happen by a long shot. The voltage regulation on that board is toast, and there is a possibility that that was caused by the motherboard feeding the cards too much voltage. If it happens again, you'll know it's a motherboard/power supply issue.