Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cool setup: A beaming Utrecht University!

Benm

Come and admire the colourful laser installation Sol Lumen, which will link De Uithof with the city centre as part of Utrecht University’s 375th anniversary celebrations.

Laser

I'll try to take some pictures myself, looks wonderful... too bad my view is towards the other end of the city.

Wow - great beamshots!
I wonder if we find the lasers after March 26th here in our BS&T section:drool:

Come and admire the colourful laser installation Sol Lumen, which will link De Uithof with the city centre as part of Utrecht University’s 375th anniversary celebrations.

Laser

I'll try to take some pictures myself, looks wonderful... too bad my view is towards the other end of the city.
Where do the beams end/stop...???
Did I miss that in the article..???

Jerry

I'm wondering how wide the Target is in comparison
to the left most and right most beam's profile at 3km...
Must be quite a wide building... and hopefully it doesn't
have windows with people looking at the pretty colors....:evil:

Jerry

If I had time I'd go there to see them. The beams end at the Dom toren:
m1gz1gxalogf_700.jpg

(image from nu.nl | Het laatste nieuws het eerst op nu.nl)

Benm

I haven't seen it up close, but i think the beams just hit the dom church tower and that functions as a beamstop. The emerge from the top floor of a 22 story building on the university grounds and run towards the church.

As for the lasers used, i don't know exactly what they are, but the show is ran by laserfabrik, a german company that does similar exhibitions around the world.

Sweet find :beer:
i wonder if that's a projector or several single laser modules?
either way that is super sweet!

Someone go there and throw matchsticks at it. First one to get one lit wins an LPF seal of approval!! :D

wish i could go and see it myself, to bad free time is a rare thing to have these days......:(

Benm

I took the car for a spin tonight, and visited a coupe of spots along the route of the exhibit. First i drove to the university complex (a place i know well since i completed my masters there). The beams are setup on about the 17th floor of one of the taller buildings in the complex.

Then i drove to about 1 kilomter from the source, parked on a deserted corporate lot, and set up my tripod to take a midway picture. This one came out rather poor due to light pollution.

Finally i drove into the city center, and took some pics of the beams almost at their end, and finally of the Dom tower acting as a beamstop. Sorry about the quality of the latter ones, i was double parked so needed to get out of there before getting a fine ;)

Check out the pictures here:
Photos of Laserfabrik Utrecht - Merghart.com

Benm

Btw, i think the photo posted a few posts above has been tampered with. While impressive, the beams are not THAT bright at all, and not that well collimated when they reach their target either - check the differences with my footage.

I'd estimate the power of the beams to be a few watts each at most. A 1 watt 445 could compete with the blue beam in terms of brightness, although not in divergence which is only 1 mrad or so.