Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Cool setup: A beaming Utrecht University!

The pic I posted is from nu.nl, but looking at the rest of the city light it's a very long exposure. I can almost get my 2mW green HeNe to have a beam like that.

The fact that they haven't got the colours in wavelength order hugely offends me! :yabbmad:

It's supposed to symbolize the flag of the university, not a rainbow ;)

Ohh right. Then why does their flag not have them in the wavelength order?

That displeases me too. :yabbmad:

anselm

Awesome stuff.
So is it these guys again?
laserfabrik showlaser GmbH - Global Rainbow
@jai:
taetschel.gif
taetschel.gif

Last edited:
Rofl...

/me sighs and goes to put some felt-tip pens into wavelength order

Btw, i think the photo posted a few posts above has been tampered with. While impressive, the beams are not THAT bright at all, and not that well collimated when they reach their target either - check the differences with my footage.

I'd estimate the power of the beams to be a few watts each at most. A 1 watt 445 could compete with the blue beam in terms of brightness, although not in divergence which is only 1 mrad or so.

Couldn't a longer exposure make that Picture?

Benm

Not really, the background light would be brighter otherwise, especially from that angle. I don't think the beams are photoshopped in or anything like that, but perhaps some specific HDR combined with adding brightness to saturated colors etc.

The HDR suspicion comes from knowing the actual scene: The bottom of the tower is not illuminated that brightly compared to the top.

Then why does their flag not have them in the wavelength order?

Each color in the flag represents a discipline, their meaning is this:

Pink - Theology,
Red - Law,
Green - Medicine,
Yellow - Mathematics and Physical science,
Dark Blue - Literature,
Purple - Veterinary,
Light Blue - Social sciences.

It's probably the timeline of sciences added to the university over its 375 year history, though i'm not certain on that. Faculties have been re-arranged a bit since this color scheme, but we keep the old flag as is unique to utrecht.

Not really, the background light would be brighter otherwise, especially from that angle. I don't think the beams are photoshopped in or anything like that, but perhaps some specific HDR combined with adding brightness to saturated colors etc.

The HDR suspicion comes from knowing the actual scene: The bottom of the tower is not illuminated that brightly compared to the top.

Each color in the flag represents a discipline, their meaning is this:

Pink - Theology,
Red - Law,
Green - Medicine,
Yellow - Mathematics and Physical science,
Dark Blue - Literature,
Purple - Veterinary,
Light Blue - Social sciences.

It's probably the timeline of sciences added to the university over its 375 year history, though i'm not certain on that. Faculties have been re-arranged a bit since this color scheme, but we keep the old flag as is unique to utrecht.

ROFL Veterinary? seriously?....

One of these things is not like the others,
One of these things just doesn't belong,
Can you tell which thing is not like the others
By the time I finish my song?

Did you guess which thing was not like the others?
Did you guess which thing just doesn't belong?
If you guessed this one is not like the others, :banghead: :gun:
Then you're absolutely...right!

Benm

Is it strange to have a veterinary faculty? Vets don't come from cans, i think ;)

Yeah, vetinary science is pretty competitive here. Like... on a par with medicine.

I wish it were like that here. Here, vets seem to buy those old, crappy shacks that used to be petrol stations, and are in very seedy neighborhoods where you'd want to bring a big dog with you anyways, even if you weren't on the way to the vets.

I thought the pics on the bell tower were awesome, but would be even more awesome in real life.

I wish it were like that here. Here, vets seem to buy those old, crappy shacks that used to be petrol stations, and are in very seedy neighborhoods where you'd want to bring a big dog with you anyways, even if you weren't on the way to the vets.

There was a girl last year from my school who got 4 As, she is now working for the school as a part of a year out because she couldn't get a place to study Vetinary sciences. I'm on my way to getting an A and 2 Bs and i'm doing Psychology. Not to mention it was more competitive this year than last year.

So, yeah, Vetinary sciences is a very competitive course at universities here.