Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Coherent Innova 90 Ion laser

If i get it to run you all going to see HD video's and pix maybe i'll pop a baloon aswel lol

Btw why does it say 50 Hz ? in USA they run @ 3300 RPM to get 60 Hz right ? we run @ 3000 RPM - 50 Hz but why the laser comes from Cali. and is made for 50 Hz ?

Last edited:

LSRFAQ

It's probably only using the voltage between two phases (208V), so a single phase 230V may power it up to 16A, that may be enough to reach threshold. That how I hope to get my argons running.

The I90 tube would threshold on single phase, but the standard Innova power supply is SCR based and needs all three phases to run.

Steve

LSRFAQ

Because the cathode transformer and SCR pre-regulator system timing is set for 50 Hz.
Its just a few parts that get changed.

Steve

Last edited:

LSRFAQ

My Lexel also have a 3 phase 208V plug but can be wired to a single 230V phase. My Spectra Physics supposedly use the same trick but I haven't verified that.

You just unverfied it.

Lexel supplies have a buck boost transformer in the front end.

If its a three phase Lexel and you hook it to single phase, your going to blow a couple of 60 Dollar fuses in the PSU. If its a single phase Lexel, and they do exist, ie model 75, model 85, model 88, it can run off any two phase leads in the three phase, but the transformers (2) must be retapped correctly via Lexel tap chart or you will hose the cathode and passbank.

SP 265 can only run off single phase for a few minutes before the main inductor in the PSU blows. SP265s modded for single phase have a much larger inductor that would have six times the steel in it. You'd also need to have to beef up the filter caps. See, the rippled current in rectified three phase is 360 hz, vs 120 hz for single phase. Higher rippled frequency allows for smaller filter components. So to drop to single phase, you really have to redo the filters.

Some other of SP''s more modern supplies ie Spinaker, 2016, can run dual mode, some times, depending on the software.

Last edited:
I have a Lexel 85, it can run on a single phase but I don't have the manual yet to wire it for 230V. A long time ago I heard someone at the university say that the spectra physics I have (stabilite 2017) also can run of single phase, but I'm not sure if he is right.

I mixed up some numbers which led me to the guess of this coherent also being single phase, which in hindsight was obviously wrong. I was a bit too eager to draw conclusions, my bad. I'll edit my post to avoid confusion.

LSRFAQ

I have a Lexel 85, it can run on a single phase but I don't have the manual yet to wire it for 230V. A long time ago I heard someone at the university say that the spectra physics I have (stabilite 2017) also can run of single phase, but I'm not sure if he is right.

I mixed up some numbers which led me to the guess of this coherent also being single phase, which in hindsight was obviously wrong. I was a bit too eager to draw conclusions, my bad. I'll edit my post to avoid confusion.

Check your PMs, I have a great deal of Lexel data, considering my best Friend bought the half of Lexel that Cambridge Didn't. Including 40 OEM 85 tubes and Heads that are for sale.

The 85 tube has about 165 volts of drop when running. The I90 has about 60 to 80 more then that.

Drop me a email per the PM and I'll get you a tap chart scanned in.

Steve

I hope you get it working but do be very careful working on a multi phase circuit, if the a 3 or 4 phase circuit is shorted the flash could kill you, or burn you face off. Good luck and be safe. Got hit by a 3 phase heater circuit in an old Boeing hanger, not fun at all, ah-64 runs a 4 phase circuit that will turn you into a vapor of charged ions.

Indeed. 3 phase power is incredibly powerful and carries a huge amount of current.
When I used to work for DND, the 3 phase motors used for opening the gate doors for the dry-dock were all running 600V service.
The civilian engineers used to tell stories of wires becoming hot when being in the EMF field of 3 phase lines. A couple of workers were killed this way apparently.

BE CAREFUL with that Ar Ion laser supply!

Well we connected the laser but not lasing yet

Probably the warmup time is between 10 and 20 minutes depending on the gas pressure , we will see pretty soon

Last edited:
If you don't mind my asking, when was the tube made, and how many hours does it have on it?

I'm jealous, by the way. Green with envy :D

I've got an I70, can't do anything with it :cryyy:

Can anyone tell if this low near UV light is good or bad ? tube was running for about 30 minutes

Yeah i guessed that myself cause it's not really a tight dot it grows to big to fast after 50 cm or so... i need to study more about this laser it's not a simple machine.

Update will come in a while.

If you've got a sustained discharge but no lasing it may also be the mirrors are out of alignment. Try very slightly adjusting them, one at a time, on the X and Y axis. If it doesn't work be sure to put them back to exactly where they were before.