Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Canadian Customs/Health Canada Seized My Laser [Letter inside]

I've ordered from there before but I've usually gotten it in 8 days, Then again it was 1-2 years ago and it was just 5mw pointers, I'm just getting into the hobby again because I'm a bit older and can buy higher powered ones now ;)

I've ordered from there before but I've usually gotten it in 8 days, Then again it was 1-2 years ago and it was just 5mw pointers, I'm just getting into the hobby again because I'm a bit older and can buy higher powered ones now ;)

Those days are over now... Just suck it up, you will get it eventually.
I have never even had customs open a DX package yet never mind steal it.

I just received 2 lasers from them recently no problem but it took forever at customs just like stuff that didn't have lasers in it.

Thanks for clearing that up I just wanted to make sure nothing wasn't wrong....

Yeah the only reason they seized this one was because it was an Arctic. The Arctic has had some very bad, but justifiable, press.

@ Spy. Any word yet?

It looks like even Canadians are not safe importing lasers anymore.

I don't think ive seen anyone post something like this before, if it has been posted please do let me know.

About 8 months ago (Yeah, good job Health canada for taking 8 months to process my arctic and send me a seizure notice) I got an Arctic from wickedlasers. They sent the first one, which for some reason never got to me, so they sent another which I have now. Now I know why the first one never got here.

Health Canada will seize lasers.

They sent me a little packet of documents via express purolator courier (A private canadian postal courier), so after that 8 months they must had wanted me to get the documents fast :p

View the documents here

Why am I posting this?

I believe this is the first official laser seizure in Canada. I want people to know.

I attribute this mostly to the press wicked got.

What do you guys think? Would the queen really like my arctic? :p

2BqWx.jpg

did you get any fine or any penalty by govt of Canada? i imported some laser pointer which is less than 5mW, i didint know its not ok import laser to canada and my laser are stuck in customs i will never import laser again.

did this guy got any fine OR planety ? i imported some laser pointer which is only 5mw power to canada, but lot of them worth of 109usd.
i didn't know importing laser to canada is illegal. my laser are stuck in canada customs, if they destroy my laser i do not care i have a child to take care i am not in a situation to pay any fine or planety i do know what to do, i am little worried i need help.

did you get any fine or any penalty by govt of Canada? i imported some laser pointer which is less than 5mW, i didint know its not ok import laser to canada and my laser are stuck in customs i will never import laser again.

did this guy got any fine OR planety ? i imported some laser pointer which is only 5mw power to canada, but lot of them worth of 109usd.
i didn't know importing laser to canada is illegal. my laser are stuck in canada customs, if they destroy my laser i do not care i have a child to take care i am not in a situation to pay any fine or planety i do know what to do, i am little worried i need help.

This thread is 4 1/2 years old but I don't think anything has changed. There's a good chance you will get your lasers and I think the legal limit for importing is still 5mW but I could be wrong, I am more familiar with U.S. regulations. Some countries have a 1mW limit for battery powered lasers.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. The worst that should happen is that you loose them. There was a much more recent case here, I am not sure it may have been as long as 2 years ago, but we have a member in Belgium that was building and selling lots of lasers, he sold one to a member here in the U.S. who later sold it to a member in Canada, it was a 3W+ laser and didn't make it through customs and was seized, it was not a cheap laser, he was able to have it returned to the sender and only paid for shipping, there was no fine. The only loss was shipping cost, he could have also just forfeited the laser but that would have cost more, I think it may have been about a $300usd laser.

One way around this is to learn to assemble a laser from parts, you can buy the parts and build your own no problem.

Alan

hi,
thank you very much for your reply, you comment gave me so much relief, i am just too much worry i didn't know laser pointer is a big deal, i thought it's just a laser pointer, i thought i should import and sell on ebay and make little bit of money and buy some nice cloth for my daughter, but it's other way around now. i just want to get out from the situation, i called ebay and told me i can sell laser pointer as long as 5mw or less power, which i ordered and they stuck in canada customs. well please can you give me more detail what should i do in that situation and how should i deal with this situation.
i would really i appreciate your help and comments. just to let you know i order 109usd and lots of laser pointer. Thank you again.

hi,
thank you very much for your reply, you comment gave me so much relief, i am just too much worry i didn't know laser pointer is a big deal, i thought it's just a laser pointer, i thought i should import and sell on ebay and make little bit of money and buy some nice cloth for my daughter, but it's other way around now. i just want to get out from the situation, i called ebay and told me i can sell laser pointer as long as 5mw or less power, which i ordered and they stuck in canada customs. well please can you give me more detail what should i do in that situation and how should i deal with this situation.
i would really i appreciate your help and comments. just to let you know i order 109usd and lots of laser pointer. Thank you again.

They are not a big deal if they are less than 5mW, or if they are lab lasers (not battery powered, they plug in). Are you sure they are stuck in Canada customs? Is that just what the tracking says? If you don't get a letter from Health Canada there should be nothing to worry about, you should get your lasers, if you do get a letter from Health Canada then you will have some choices but can avoid any problem.

It is only hand held battery powered lasers of 5mW and up that are restricted, don't worry about it.

These weren't cheap 532nm green from China were they?

Alan

Hi,
To eliminate the chances of seizure start building your self. And you will also have self satisfaction and know what's inside.

Rich:)

Hi,
To eliminate the chances of seizure start building your self. And you will also have self satisfaction and know what's inside.

This is practical for most of us hobbyists, but he/she just wanted to buy some pointers wholesale and sell them on eBay to make some extra money.

Alan

Hi Pi,
Ok that makes sense, it's just i couldn't buy a unit from overseas merchant's . I would rather build my own unique builds. It's just more satisfying to me and i know what to get from them.
Well anyway i wish him all the luck to get what he want's, Thank PI ....

hi Alan,hi sorry for the late reply. yes they are cheap china made and they are 532nm laser pointer.
today i got a latter from CBSA BSF241(14), and this form and no instruction and doesn't tell what to do, i am so confused.

Heading says: DESCRIPTION OF GOODS OR CURRENCY/MONETARY INSTUMENTS
and than its says Qt 50 and than its say Laser pointer Class 3 that it and than their are other options but do not know what to do with it. their is no clear instruction what to do, where to send and etc.

hi Alan,hi sorry for the late reply. yes they are cheap china made and they are 532nm laser pointer.
today i got a latter from CBSA BSF241(14), and this form and no instruction and doesn't tell what to do, i am so confused.

Heading says: DESCRIPTION OF GOODS OR CURRENCY/MONETARY INSTUMENTS
and than its says Qt 50 and than its say Laser pointer Class 3 that it and than their are other options but do not know what to do with it. their is no clear instruction what to do, where to send and etc.

Sorry I missed this, haven't been online much the last two days. So you got a form you can fill out with the BSF241? I know what the BSF241 is and that's not good, it means you have probably lost your lasers. Do you have the ability to scan these and post them? Is there anything about 40 days or 40 + 30 or 70 days?

Alan

Hi Alan,
Sorry i do not have scanner, but i can tell you what is about, they send me a letter BSF241, one box check as HELD and another box check as ( HPB Determination) , and signature on it, i think they will send me another letter soon saying they are going to destroy the laser, if Health canada send me a letter what should i do, what option should a check ? any advice ?
if i know laser pointers are a big deal i won't order in my whole life, i thought laser pointers are very useful for presentation and for construction people.
you don't have to apologize you're nice and guy and very helpful, i do not care if they destroy laser pointer or send back to seller only thing i am worried about is i can't afford any fine or any kind of penalty.

Last edited:
and i kinda figure it out the letter it is just give me a heads up saying they are doing some experiments on it i have a feeling they will send me another letter saying they are going to destroy my laser pointer, which i do not care, i hope they wont send me any fine letter i do not make enough money and i have daughter i want to give her a very good life i want to buy her nice food nice cloth and etc, if they send me big fine i will be screwed big time. and i will never buy anything overseas i learnt my lesson, because i don't know what is allow and what is not and what is seller is selling me. thanks for your reply, you're very helpfull, thank again Alan.