Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

can I get some opinions on fat beam 532's?

I don't have much to add to this discussion but I am so happy to see where its going!!!! Thanks big dogs, I'll stay on the porch till y'all figure this out, hehe.
I dream to someday own a 1w 520 or 532 fat beam handheld. It looks like that may become reality from the looks of things. Awesome!

Edited to add-If there is something I can contribute please let me know.

Last edited:

For a 5x expander, I would use a -10 mm coated lens and a 50 mm objective.
The space between lenses would be only 40 mm (adjustable for focus).
Edmunds has a good selection. Coated BK-7 glass work good for me.
HMike

You need ZnSe glass for CO2 lasers.

Last edited:
Remember you fatten the beam it will get fainter the fatter it gets. The OP has no objection to beam expanders why are they being ignored? Or did I miss something?
If beam expanders are allowed DL has there expander priced at $70. I have one of Dragonlasers new beam expanders (actually I own both their expanders) if there is something you guys would like me to test or try with them.

rhd

Remember you fatten the beam it will get fainter the fatter it gets. The OP has no objection to beam expanders why are they being ignored? Or did I miss something?
If beam expanders are allowed DL has there expander priced at $70. I have one of Dragonlasers new beam expanders (actually I own both their expanders) if there is something you guys would like me to test or try with them.

I don't think they are being ignored, I just went off on a side tangent about how cool it would be to have native modules for fat beams.

I don't think they are being ignored, I just went off on a side tangent about how cool it would be to have native modules for fat beams.

Nothing wrong with cool :). I'm following this since expanders and beam characteristics intrigue me.

Pman

IHave also been thinking about the same things you guys are. I have a wide beam coming from O-Like (100mW) as they owed me some refund $ so I was able to get it at 1/2 price. They don't sell one stronger than 100mW but I'm going to investigate how they made it. Don't have a clue about optics but I'm pretty good at figuring out solutions to things.

Starlight, I own the 2x beam expander from dragon and the connector for other lasers but honestly don't know how to use it properly as multiple pieces can unscrew. Have been waiting forever for them to come back out with the 10x as I'm sure it would be more self explanatory with such a big change. Doesn't look like they will ever release one again though. Emailed them this morning about it. Any advice on how to use it properly? Didn't come with instructions.
Does your 2x adapter work with the old 10x unit? No one ever puts their 10x up for grabs:(

Last edited:
Starlight, I own the 2x beam expander from dragon and the connector for other lasers but honestly don't know how to use it properly as multiple pieces can unscrew. Have been waiting forever for them to come back out with the 10x as I'm sure it would be more self explanatory with such a big change. Doesn't look like they will ever release one again though. Emailed them this morning about it. Any advice on how to use it properly? Didn't come with instructions.
Does your 2x adapter work with the old 10x unit? No one ever puts their 10x up for grabs:(
I just attach my beam expander's and open them until the beam or dot is where or what I want. For the 2x I had to tighten the center ring and smaller side piece together to get it to work right, I then just spin the lager side open (if that makes sense or see 1st picture).

No the 2x adapters do not work with old expander (10x adapters in picture 3 and 4). With the exception if I had another Spartan adapter for the 2x I believe I could attach the 10x after it. It would never work because the input on the 10x is very small so small my 1w 447nm Spartan gets clipped so bad it's useless with that laser. My 589nm Spartan and 532nm Viper from DL both work with the 10x. No one sells the 10x second hand because they are awesome and you'd be silly to sell one if you own lasers.

Now for some picture to help my explanation. And a fat beam shot :na:

2x beam expander slightly open

IMG_20141213_095917_055.jpg

lasers expanders and adapters.
2x beam expander, 10x beam expander, multi adapter for 2x (for any laser that will fit inside set screws) , Spartan adapter for 2x, Spartan adapter for 10x, Viper adapter for 10x. Spartan and Viper laser also pictured

IMG_20141213_094152_376.jpg

Adapters for 10x to fit Spartan and Viper lasers

IMG_20141213_094443_732.jpg

IMG_20141213_094535_384.jpg

Viper with 10x expander

IMG_20141213_094735_152.jpg

Viper with 2x expander

IMG_20141213_094854_000.jpg

10x expander . set screws to hold position....awesome

IMG_20141213_095727_386.jpg

Here the laser starts at the left side hits 3 mirrors and then passes through the 2x beam expander (about middle of picture) and you can see it bring it back to a fine point before it hits the next mirror before hitting the ceiling. It works just play with it.

IMG_20140517_202646_126-1.jpg

Viper no expander

DSC_0096.jpg

Viper with 10x

DSC_0095.jpg

gozert

@Starlight

May I ask you what kind of optic it is that you're pointing at on the picture with blue beams?

@Starlight

May I ask you what kind of optic it is that you're pointing at on the picture with blue beams?
There are only 3 things visable in the picture that the laser beam hits.

First thing it hits (right side of picture and pictured below) is something I got from a DLP TV and is mounted on a small anvil the other in center of picture is the 2x beam expander then a large first surface mirror . If I missed something let me know

IMG_20140421_140549_452.jpg

Last edited:
Even though it is not practical unless you have a way to mount them and line them up properly, binoculars also make a fine beam expander. Here are some pics doing exactly that. I was able to get very fat, precise beams. I do have a DL 2X beam expander and a Jet Lasers 5X beam expander, but hardly ever use them as the binoculars (in a controlled environment) is much better for my needs.

Last edited:

Pman

WOW you guys! Now I understand how to use the thing AND see some crazy optics/beam shots:)
BIG THANKS;)

Too bad I can't pass on more REP to you 2:(

Pete

Last edited:
This thread is awesome! Only problem with binoculars is the prisms inside to turn the image back upright which cause more loss. You can buy a monocular and use that for your laser as an expander but I believe they also have prisms in them. Anyone ever remove the prism from a monocular and have it work?

Last edited:

Pman

I have one of those pirate looking collapsible spy glasses with glass lenses in it. I'll have to mess with it. Also have binoculars and a gun scope.

Received an answer from Dragon Lasers about a 10x last night:

Hi Peter,
We have not any plan of making any other beam expanders in near future.
LBE2X, Adjust the lenses positions and then get the beam focus adjusted.
There is not any manual for the LBE2x. if you want help please let me know the problems you have in details.

We are working on new design of portable lasers and it is coming with much better beam collimation systems.

The new product will be released in roughly 3-6 month time.

Regards

Adam

Dragon Lasers Support

Last edited:

Pman

I did get that 100mW (actually around 120mW but would have to pull out the case to check) O-Like wide beam (remember I only paid about $40) and it is kind of interesting and I do like it. Don't really know what to report on it though other than you CAN focus it to a dot regardless of what I read by someone else that said you couldn't.