Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

can I get some opinions on fat beam 532's?

Hey guys,
I really love the fat beam 532's and have been eyeing this unit linked below. I would prefer a 300mw but can't find anything larger than this 200mw.

Some questions I have is whats your overall 2 cents on this laser? Can the module and driver be made into a portable handheld? I am fine with a short duty cycle of 60-45 seconds on off maybe less if I would be able to build a handheld fat beam. If a handheld build is possible I would buy 2 of these. I don't have a lab laser yet so I would enjoy it as is but would love to build something unique out of one of these if its a good idea.

Also does anyone have a vendor link that I can purchase a 12mm dpps 532nm in 700mw or better yet 1W with a driver to put in a custom host? Maybe this host which I ordered from Ehgemus if he can make it to fit 12mm that is. If not then I will find another custom host. Most of my searches seem to be modules suited more for lab style lasers. Maybe they're the same thing I'm not sure since I'm new to building. I am already building a 520nm 1.4w but honestly 532's are my favorite laser atm.

Thanks
Jeff

Last edited:

I think getting a beam expanded might be your fix. A beam expander can create the fat beam your after with any laser you have.....pending you can shoot the beam through it.

I doubt if you can take that apart and make it into a hand held, also if you do buy it I hope you noticed it runs on 220V, be sure you even have a place to plug it in.

Alan

rhd

You know, it strikes me as odd that nobody has made some large modules, for use with large lenses, for the purpose of creating large beam builds.

I wouldn't want every build to be that way, but it would be nice to have a couple, without adding the bulk or ugliness of a beam expander.

You know, it strikes me as odd that nobody has made some large modules, for use with large lenses, for the purpose of creating large beam builds.

I wouldn't want every build to be that way, but it would be nice to have a couple, without adding the bulk or ugliness of a beam expander.

I dont think many people realize you can get a larger beam without using a beam expander. Also, fabrication costs (as I am sure you found out with your photinos) are very expensive. Not to say a forum machinist couldn't do it :) may be worth getting some aspherics from surplusshed and giving it a shot.

I doubt if you can take that apart and make it into a hand held, also if you do buy it I hope you noticed it runs on 220V, be sure you even have a place to plug it in.

Alan

Doh!!!! Good eye! I hadn't noticed that.
So are the beam expander's vendors like W.L. sell make the beam fatter or to increase the range? What would I need to do to make a handheld fat beam in say 520nm? I saw O-like sells something called beam expander's but thought they just increased the range of the dot.

A direct result of widening the beam is a longer range dot, because while the width has been made bigger, the divergence is decreased. this means that up to a point, a laser with no BE will have a smaller dot and thinner beam than an identical BE equipped laser. but after that point, the one with the BE will have a smaller dot and thinner beam, because the rate of divergence has decreased.

I have a 1W 520 from JL, it's made so a BE can be attached easily. to make one yourself, you'd need to figure out how to either adapt a BE to fit on the head of the laser, or make it with a really big module to accomadate a large lens. the second option would result in less optical losses, but I've never seen it and don't think prefabricaed ones exist, though I am probably wrong

Last edited:

rhd

I dont think many people realize you can get a larger beam without using a beam expander. Also, fabrication costs (as I am sure you found out with your photinos) are very expensive. Not to say a forum machinist couldn't do it :) may be worth getting some aspherics from surplusshed and giving it a shot.

I'm embarrassingly unskilled at beam calculations. Tell me if this stuff makes sense:
NDB7675 fast axis = 44 degree
44 degree = 767 mrad

Then according to:
Laser Optics Calculators
"Beam Diameter at Lens Calculator"

Divergence: 767 mrad
Aperture: 1mm (an arbitrary figure that shouldn't impact the final calc too much)
Distance 0.025 m (which is 2.5cm from emission point)

= Diameter at lens of 26mm

So what do you think of these options?

STOCK TYPE Diam Focal Coated Price
L10955 PCX 29.0 25 N $4.50
L10963 PCX 28.9 25 N $4.50

I'm embarrassingly unskilled at beam calculations. Tell me if this stuff makes sense:
44 degree = 767 mrad

Then according to:
Laser Optics Calculators
"Beam Diameter at Lens Calculator"

Divergence: 767 mrad
Aperture: 1mm (an arbitrary figure that shouldn't impact the final calc too much)
Distance 0.025 m (which is 2.5cm from emission point)

= Diameter at lens of 26mm

I say we get Ehgemus in on this and see what we can do :)

The PCX lens will be a bad choice for a 44 deg beam. There is a reason people invented ashperics. With PCXs try keep a beam size small and a focal length long.

rhd

If monies are not a problem open a Thorlabs catalog "large-diameter aspheric lenses' :wave: If monies are problem, don't do that. :na:

A cheaper way is with an expander.

What we're discussing in this thread are ways to do this without an expander. Price matters, needs to be surplus shed.