Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

C-Mount Red Mag Stubby Build...

jayrob

Who designed your heatsink? I may need one for a build I am planning.

I made it... :D

The heatsink is pretty easy, but the custom head shown is a ton of work and precise fitting for the lens and everything to make that bad boy...

Last edited:

Hmm. Well, I'll have to see if someone can make me a C-mount heatsink to spec, because I am not sure if I will have access to the machine shop!

jayrob

Hmm. Well, I'll have to see if someone can make me a C-mount heatsink to spec, because I am not sure if I will have access to the machine shop!

Now that I have done it, I know what tiny hex head bolt that fits the diode, and where to drill off center, etc... (It's a tiny machine screw that is needed for this)

I'm offering 'Hot' option kits minus diode, but this exact build is not cheap because of the machine work on the custom head...

But just a heatsink for the C-mount is not a big deal. Send me a PM! :beer:

Last edited:

Cel

Nice work! Anyone willing to do a 445nm 9mm and red C-mount dual build? :D

Thoughts: add a TEC + ventilator, that should be stable...

whats the cost?

EDIT: Should have been more specific in my original question. I know DTR has the diodes, meant when will your kits be available and whats the cost

Last edited:

jayrob

whats the cost?

EDIT: Should have been more specific in my original question. I know DTR has the diodes, meant when will your kits be available and whats the cost

Ok well you might have a little 'sticker shock' for this kit...

There is just a ton of work involved with the custom head shown in the first post of this thread...

I can make it considerably cheaper ($75 less), and still focus-able if we just use the stock Mag head with an extended custom head out the front. Something like this: (but however long it needs to be for the lens mount, etc... Should look about like the drawing though)

C-Mount%20Red%2017.jpg

So you can PM me for options.

Other options. Driver installed ('Hot' option), battery, charger, etc...

The complete kit shown in the OP, minus diode and driver 'Hot option, is $295.

That includes:

* The host and stubby mod
* Case positive switch and tail cap mod
* Custom head with lens mounted. (you provide the lens cost - the Thorlabs lens is $38 after shipping)
* Bored out AixiZ lens nut fit into a threaded aperture with dust cap
* C-Mount heatsink with diode mounting screw

You can add the 'Hot' option shown in this thread with the dual copper heatsinks installed for $45. (that's the driver, configured, heatsinked, installed, and tested)
You can add a 6000mAh 32650 cell for $24
You can add a WF-188 charger for $37

But like I mentioned, there are options to save some...

* $75 dollars less: I can do the same set up (still focusable) but just use the stock Mag head, and the custom head out the front. (like the drawing above)

This will mean that I don't have to do all the extra machine work to fit a threaded sleeve into the custom head shown in the OP. So if you want, this option will save you $75 bucks.

Just send me a PM and let me know! :beer:

Last edited:
Okay, need to wait for more paychecks but ill be PMing you in the near future :D

Great work jay. How does the focusing work I see the threads in the head unit but the first pic under the other details is that the head unit before you machined it?

jayrob

Okay, need to wait for more paychecks but ill be PMing you in the near future :D

Sounds good! :beer:

I hesitated on this build myself because of the cost of the diode, but then realized that the diode is actually cheap for this power and quality. (rare too)

So I figured I better pull the trigger before I miss out...

As you can see in the thread, I'm happy I did! :)

Great work jay. How does the focusing work I see the threads in the head unit but the first pic under the other details is that the head unit before you machined it?

Yes that's what's left of the stock Mag head after I machined it down to save the threads in the form of a 'sleeve' that I could thermal glue into my custom head.

It's a real pain.

Since I don't know how to match the Mag threads with my lathe, I had to do it that way in order to make it focus-able... :cool:

But I can also do the same thing using the stock Mag head, and a custom heatsink out the front. See here: (sketch shown)

Last edited:

Tonga

Beautiful build and work as ever Jay:wave::wave:! Been really eyeing your Mag Light stuff:)!

That's what it looked liked... No man that's very clever no need in wasting material.

ARG

Awesome build Jay!

I need to do one of these c mount builds.

Also, great idea here! Going to have to borrow that if I do a maglight build :p
C-Mount%20Red%206.jpg

Last edited:

jayrob

Awesome build Jay!

I need to do one of these c mount builds.

Also, great idea here! Going to have to borrow that if I do a maglight build :p

:thanks:

Yeah this is my first C-Mount kit...

It brought back that feeling of 'new discovery' in building again. :cool:

It's an amazing diode!