Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Brand New 2mW Green HeNe 543.5nm Gas Laser Tubes - $100

ped

Sorry T_J forgot about this thread.

As has allready been said, yeah the current needs to be around the 6mA mark, i've ran my HeNe's at 9-12mA and they degraded within 30 mins :(

and 13kV from an NST? thats hardcore haha

Adding customs & taxes and shipping will probably double the price for me, so I'll have to stick with the green HeNe heads I have.

Last edited:
Got my hene today. Boy is this big.

I took a picture with some of my recent toys.

The tube here is on top. They sent it with a spec sheet, both clips, a ballast resistor. Very nice.

Attachments

• Tubes.jpg
    Tubes.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 639
Last edited:
I'm likely going to take one of these. The whole idea of gas lasers is just thrilling! I emailed MI and received a reply from Chad. He said that they can provide a suitable PSU for $95. Does anyone know what this is likely to be and, if so, have any information on it?

Aside from the PSU, ballast resistor and a stand (they have cradle mounts on their site), and, of course, the tube, is there anything else I need to get it up and running properly? Is some sort of cable or connector necessary, or should this be attached to / included with the tube or PSU? Anything else I should know or consider? (I've never used a gas laser, only read about them.)

Cheers,

Adam

I've been fiddling with them for a couple years.

Couple things to watch for. They will probably sell you a dc power supply instead of ac. (Guessing) If they sell you a dc power supply for your hene you will need a power plug that converts a/c into whatever voltage level the dc power supply needs and can handle enough current. (aka wal-wart, switching power supply, etc).

Usually the best place is a thrift store or bargain bin with used electrical parts. You can usually get one for about $5-10. Look for the DC output (needs to match) and the current capability (needs to exceed the draw of the hene power supply.

These things run anywhere from 1000-3500 volt range (this one is 2800v). It will kick you very well if you are not careful. It won't kill you, but it will ruin your day and probably make you drop or throw the tube. Be extra careful. Especially, if you haven't dealt with high voltage circuits.

Also, the power supply usually has a very high capacitance level. Also the tube itself can act as a capacitor and shock you even when it's unplugged. Keep this in mind. If you touch both ends of the power supply after it has been running you will probably get a good jolt. Same applies to the tube, but it is more of a milder tingle and twich instead of a jolt.

They are very cool looking. Even for the low mw they look awesome.

power supply, ballast resistor, tube are all you really need.

One other thing. If you are doing your own wiring and not using the alden connectors (or in the future) Make sure you use high voltage silicone wire for the feed wires from the power supply to the tube itself. And mount the ballast resistor within 3" of the tube.

Let me know what they get you for a power supply. I don't have one for this tube yet.

Last edited:
Man that's a sweet deal. I have a Coherent 2mw green HeNe but the tube is mounted in a head. If I just didn't spend $60 on a red kit from Sam I think I'd be all over this since my existing green's HV PS would power it fine. It puts out 2800-3100VDC @ 6.5ma which would be perfect. I'd just need leads with an Alden connector on it. Hmmm wonder if the ones in the kit from Sam would work. It has a 75k ballast resistor inline already...

Thanks for your advice!

Here is the PSU Chad said he was talking about: http://www.mi-lasers.com/stock/eBay/F-27b.jpg

It takes 24V - 30V DC input, supplies 2300V - 3200V and 5.5mA, Voltex model F-27-19 (as per label), $95.

I'm not sure if it will be suitable, though. The specs on the label say that it will supply 5.5mA, but the data in the listing for the tube says that the tube requires 6mA - 7mA, with 6.5mA being ideal. Also, the start votltage required is 12KV. Can a PSU that supplies 2300V - 3200V (as is also listed on the label of that PSU) do this (give a start voltage of 12KV)? If he said that it will suit that tube, then, hopefully it should... but I can't help wondering.

I've not done much with HV so far, but I have done a lot of general electronics work. I am planning to start building a Tesla coil very soon, though; so I was about to go there, anyway. :D

I'd heard about the tubes acting as capacitors, too. I'll be sure to watch out for that. Is it advisable to discharge the capacitance in the tubes and the capacitors of the PSU by short circuiting them, or is this specifically NOT advisable for any reason?

As far as the wiring goes, I asked him and he said he said he can also supply a male Alden connector. How exactly does this connect to the tube? Is there some sort of clip attached to them that is fairly standard? I have seen some clips that sort of clip around the ends of the tube and have the wires attached to them. Also, will the ballast resistor generally be included in the wiring on the connector, or will this also need to be attached?

I'm very much looking forward to getting this. The whole idea of gas lasers is just fascinating!

Thanks again for your post!

Cheers,

Adam

I've been fiddling with them for a couple years.

Couple things to watch for. They will probably sell you a dc power supply instead of ac. (Guessing) If they sell you a dc power supply for your hene you will need a power plug that converts a/c into whatever voltage level the dc power supply needs and can handle enough current. (aka wal-wart, switching power supply, etc).

Usually the best place is a thrift store or bargain bin with used electrical parts. You can usually get one for about $5-10. Look for the DC output (needs to match) and the current capability (needs to exceed the draw of the hene power supply.

These things run anywhere from 1000-3500 volt range (this one is 2800v). It will kick you very well if you are not careful. It won't kill you, but it will ruin your day and probably make you drop or throw the tube. Be extra careful. Especially, if you haven't dealt with high voltage circuits.

Also, the power supply usually has a very high capacitance level. Also the tube itself can act as a capacitor and shock you even when it's unplugged. Keep this in mind. If you touch both ends of the power supply after it has been running you will probably get a good jolt. Same applies to the tube, but it is more of a milder tingle and twich instead of a jolt.

They are very cool looking. Even for the low mw they look awesome.

power supply, ballast resistor, tube are all you really need.

One other thing. If you are doing your own wiring and not using the alden connectors (or in the future) Make sure you use high voltage silicone wire for the feed wires from the power supply to the tube itself. And mount the ballast resistor within 3" of the tube.

Let me know what they get you for a power supply. I don't have one for this tube yet.

Yeah, I figured DC.

As for using with 5.5ma power supply, I would assume that Meredith would know what would work with their tubes. But it would make me nervous. Maybe someone else with more experience can tell you for sure.

I priced the A/C ones new from their site and they are $299.00 which is a bit pricey for me.

Reading Sam's Laser faq - Sam suggests not shorting out the power supply directly but using a string of resistors, IIRC. You might look it up on there. He implied that directly shorting could damage the PS.

The last group of tubes I got a couple years ago were used and had Alden connectors on the power supply and matching connectors from the tube. They are basically plug and play that way. This one doesn't come with any connectors so you would have to buy the matching alden connector with wiring for this tube. I would just buy some HV silicone wire from ebay and use that instead, probably cheaper

From the power supply use a wire nut and connect enough HV sllicone wire for what you need for the positive and negative. On the anode end attach the ballast resistor to the slicone wire and then solder one of the clips to that to be able to attach it to the tube. On the other end, solder the silicone wire to the clip and attach the clip to the cathode end. There are clips attached to the tube on both ends when you get it.

That being finished and wiring your ac/dc wall wart correctly and you are good to go.

I just finished a little night light that I did that with in an oak enclosure.

I'll have a thread in the next day or so.

Thanks for your advice!

Here is the PSU Chad said he was talking about: http://www.mi-lasers.com/stock/eBay/F-27b.jpg

It takes 24V - 30V DC input, supplies 2300V - 3200V and 5.5mA, Voltex model F-27-19 (as per label), $95.

I'm not sure if it will be suitable, though. The specs on the label say that it will supply 5.5mA, but the data in the listing for the tube says that the tube requires 6mA - 7mA, with 6.5mA being ideal. Also, the start votltage required is 12KV. Can a PSU that supplies 2300V - 3200V (as is also listed on the label of that PSU) do this (give a start voltage of 12KV)? If he said that it will suit that tube, then, hopefully it should... but I can't help wondering.

I've not done much with HV so far, but I have done a lot of general electronics work. I am planning to start building a Tesla coil very soon, though; so I was about to go there, anyway. :D

I'd heard about the tubes acting as capacitors, too. I'll be sure to watch out for that. Is it advisable to discharge the capacitance in the tubes and the capacitors of the PSU by short circuiting them, or is this specifically NOT advisable for any reason?

As far as the wiring goes, I asked him and he said he said he can also supply a male Alden connector. How exactly does this connect to the tube? Is there some sort of clip attached to them that is fairly standard? I have seen some clips that sort of clip around the ends of the tube and have the wires attached to them. Also, will the ballast resistor generally be included in the wiring on the connector, or will this also need to be attached?

I'm very much looking forward to getting this. The whole idea of gas lasers is just fascinating!

Thanks again for your post!

Cheers,

Adam

I think I might post a thread in the gas lasers section, then, in the hopes that someone can give some further advice. You've already been very helpful in clarifying a couple of things, though - thanks! :)

I would also assume that MI knows what will work with their tubes, but, I, too, am just a little unsure, that's all. We'll see.

Is this the AC PSU to which you referred? Meredith Instruments : Lab Style Power Supply for 16 to 20 Inch Heads [LAB-S-28] - $299.00 - The source for laser surplus

For now, I think I'll just get the Alden connector to make it a bit more straightforward. It would be easier to connect and disconnect that way, too, I would think. The male Alden connectors I can see on the site have coax attached. I've not really used coax much, but I'm thinking it could be somewhat awkward to hook up (to the resistor / clips for the tube).

Cheers,

Adam

Yeah, I figured DC.

As for using with 5.5ma power supply, I would assume that Meredith would know what would work with their tubes. But it would make me nervous. Maybe someone else with more experience can tell you for sure.

I priced the A/C ones new from their site and they are $299.00 which is a bit pricey for me.

Reading Sam's Laser faq - Sam suggests not shorting out the power supply directly but using a string of resistors, IIRC. You might look it up on there. He implied that directly shorting could damage the PS.

The last group of tubes I got a couple years ago were used and had Alden connectors on the power supply and matching connectors from the tube. They are basically plug and play that way. This one doesn't come with any connectors so you would have to buy the matching alden connector with wiring for this tube. I would just buy some HV silicone wire from ebay and use that instead, probably cheaper

From the power supply use a wire nut and connect enough HV sllicone wire for what you need for the positive and negative. On the anode end attach the ballast resistor to the slicone wire and then solder one of the clips to that to be able to attach it to the tube. On the other end, solder the silicone wire to the clip and attach the clip to the cathode end. There are clips attached to the tube on both ends when you get it.

That being finished and wiring your ac/dc wall wart correctly and you are good to go.

I just finished a little night light that I did that with in an oak enclosure.

I'll have a thread in the next day or so.

You can find the power supply bricks on ebay from different sellers, namely outback6 quite cheap, also I have a few of them that will do nicely on ebid.

A lot. Really. 543.5 is a 'lime green' while 532 is a 'deep green'. After seeing 543.5 (Which is brighter to the eye than even 532, per mW) - 532 looks almost blue-green.

For $100 (!) , I think everyone here should get one, even if you don't know how to power it quite yet. You will later, and you won't regret it.

If I didn't have like eight 543.5 HeNe's, i'd be picking up two of these tonight... (Still may...)

Now, if only MI did OBO on their 594 HeNe's......

And of course other members here. :)

I"m hoping this seller continues to sell this things. I want one, but it's going to have to wait for awhile. I've mostly got my rainbow of handhelds on the way, with a couple of more rare exceptions, so it's on to either labs or gases next.

I found this somewhat old thread while searching to be sure that this:
Research Electro-Optics LHGR-0050 green HeNe laser | eBay

was not already up-- 3 Green HeNes BIN $175 no bids yet ==tubes only but the PS is not that hard to find- the tube... not so easy.. and yes as Aryntha sez the color is very limey and I do like it a lot more than any 532s.
(btw Aryntha= make sure you hang onto some $ as your 400/635 JETLASER PL-D is going to be on its way to me very soon!!lol

If anyone is bidding on the 3-fer EEkBay deal ( I am not btw) plz post your intentions here so we ( I least I never do) wont bid against you. I have REO Green HeNe just like aryntha's ( he got his from me) and the divergence and color is stunning-no duty/rest cycle, no batteries to replace or recharge-- nms other than red do not come up very often.
You may be able to find PSs for all three and sell one (on ebay) as plug n play and keep the rest at a deal. good luck

I will put a link to this post so others can see it.

hope this post has been helpful---Len

I am tempted to offer going in on them w/ you and or another but I must resist!!

damn you brad!!

ARG

I'm up for a group buy :)

I may go for it... 55$ + 25$ shipping isn't bad for 3 tubes.

Edit: Was going to bid on it, looks like international shipping isn't available :(

Last edited:

Helios

I'm up for a group buy :)

I may go for it... 55$ + 25$ shipping isn't bad for 3 tubes.

Edit: Was going to bid on it, looks like international shipping isn't available :(

There was a buy it now earlier set at $100. I am going to bid. If anyone wants one DO NOT BID just PM me as I am more than happy to split these up with 2 others.