Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Brain Storming: Will you be the next laser pointer designer?

I was thinking the same, but Wicked's competition was for someone to design the white/RGV combining optics into a single mass-producible hand-held build. This is less technically challenging and requires less effort (sketches/ideas - realised by their engineers, whereas Wicked wanted much more engineering, almost to the point where they could get the design, find the parts/materials, and send sketches to manufacturers).

hey, thanks for your guys consideration, at this moment let's enjoy the brainstorming as much as possible, no other thought, just think about your dream design becoming real, as for the royal issue, we will obey the rules, so never worry about it, show us your design:evil:

BKarim

variable power
what lacks in laser pointers world is simply a variable power laser: for example a selectable 5mW output for indoor use, and a selectable 100mW output...

low divergence
also we are all looking for very low divergence beam, what shouldn't be hard to achieve with a large diameter beam. you could make 2 models: one with a thin beam and low divergence, and one with large beam (let's say 1cm) and very low div.

these pointers should work with 2 AA NiMH, and have optional screwable caps for diffraction effects (like stars).

regarding the design, i want copper-like square tube.
ED3DS18SQ1_ci.jpg

That would be terribly uncomfortable to hold for any length of time.

Your other opinions are spot on.

Hey Dino I know you want host design, but I think its obvious what people want. An on spec laser, with power adjustment, excellent divergence, at a good price. The biggest problems with sites like yours is information is not accurate, and its a gamble to get an on spec laser. If you notice, the majority of us recommend O-Like. The reasons are the same above, on spec, honest, and a good price. If you put out a consistent quality product, and be honest, people will flood your web site, no matter what host you use.

A host based on the Arctic (something with rotational symmetry for ease of machining) but smaller, with a range from 5mW to 500mW in 100mW increments (5mW, 50mW, 100mW, 200mW, 300mW, 400mW, 500mW), in (red if possible), green, blue (blue with 1W) and violet. The power should be reported honestly, and always under-stated - never exaggerated. That would be the ideal range for a shop to stock.

Waterproofing, a graph of output power, adjustable power, long battery life, and high reliability would be the icing on the cake. Perhaps a pen-style range would be suitable for the lower-power range, as long as it still keeps its good looks, power honesty, and reliability.

IsaacT

Honestly, you are going to keep getting the same answers. If you are looking for someone to give you a detailed schematic for a laser of their own design, you will be waiting forever. If someone has an idea of their own that they have thought out that far, they will not be handing it over to anyone...they could just start their own company.....or they could contact CNI or another big company and see if they could sell the design.....Just saying, these answers are about the best you will get.

Kenom

I'm curious why WE have to design the product. Usually you go to a engineer and say, this is what we want, and they design it for you. For this service you get to pay them. So your wanting us to be your engineers fer free?!?!?

IsaacT

^^exactly....offer a nice big ol' paycheck and you may get some hands haha

IsaacT

hmmm....call it an "Abortion D*ld0" no vibrations but a nice, steady, focused laser beam.....

Gata

I personally don't mind flashlight host lasers, I in fact prefer them because they are cheaper :D But as said before if you could produce stable, up to spec lasers at your current prices you would be overwhelmed by orders.

If one guy down in California can produce enough superb quality heatsink/host kits out of his garage to keep this community happy why can't the over 1 Billion Chinese do it just as well?

I personally don't mind flashlight host lasers, I in fact prefer them because they are cheaper :D But as said before if you could produce stable, up to spec lasers at your current prices you would be overwhelmed by orders.

If one guy down in California can produce enough superb quality heatsink/host kits out of his garage to keep this community happy why can't the over 1 Billion Chinese do it just as well?

Different cultures :p

If you can, I'd like it in all copper pls, thanks. :beer:
13154150.jpg

variable power
what lacks in laser pointers world is simply a variable power laser: for example a selectable 5mW output for indoor use, and a selectable 100mW output...

low divergence

regarding the design, i want copper-like square tube.
ED3DS18SQ1_ci.jpg

Interesting, I was wanting to design a rectangular host, to accommodate a led digital voltage meter. I think if a laser had a nice digital display, it would sell like crazy, just my opinion.

Last edited:
If you can, I'd like it in all copper pls, thanks. :beer:
13154150.jpg

Interesting, I was wanting to design a rectangular host, to accommodate a led digital voltage meter. I think if a laser had a nice digital display, it would sell like crazy, just my opinion.

That actually looks pretty damn good

Looks like a remodeled arctic with a tip similar to Flaminpyros tank007...

That actually looks pretty damn good
Thanks. I can do better, as there was no design process used here, I just built in 3d just to see what the buttons would look like. :eek:

98180135.jpg

Looks like a remodeled arctic with a tip similar to Flaminpyros tank007...

Inspiration for this design came from the arctic. ;)

I'm curious why WE have to design the product. Usually you go to a engineer and say, this is what we want, and they design it for you. For this service you get to pay them. So your wanting us to be your engineers fer free?!?!?

You need product designers to come up with the aesthetics, ergonomics, functionality, current trends, and many other factors. The engineers are the guys who can get it built, and understand more about the manufacturing involved. They will take the designers 3d model and figure out how it can actually be built. So if you want a kickass design, you need both the designers and engineers.

Last edited: