Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Blord EDC laser Shadow GF1 638nm

norbyx

Today I got 2 new lasers in the mail box, thanks to troublesome. Well the most amazing laser, to me, was a build by Blord. The EDC laser Shadow GF1. Now the first thought that I had when I saw it was, "It's immpossible that this thing will really be a 1W laser, it just can't, it's too small".
Truth is that it is VERY small, it's the smallest hi power laser I have ever seen in my life.
Here are some pictures so you can actully se a size comparison with my other 1W red laser, and against a ruler.

The laser also offers some nice features that are very apealing. It has a 3 power setting through the button plus a strobe setting. Basically as soon as you turn it on it statrs at full power, than if you press it after like 1 sec. it goes to mid power, and if you press again, it goes to low power, to do the strobe you got to press it two times fast. To turn on or off you have to hold the button down.
All this in a super compact size laser. I have it in my hands and still don't believe it.
also the host is just gorgeous. Only down side is the battery life, since it uses one single 16340, so it drains the battey pretty fast in high power, now the nice thing is that you can set it in low power, and it will have a longer lasting time, and also the heat will not be noticable.

Ok so let's see some graphs... well here they are:

First the low power, this graph has some mistakes since the laser turns on on high power and you got to cicle it to low power the average power is higher. The laser stays at 58mw and doesn't move at all...

The next one is in med. power. This chart is just perfect. The laser outputs 320mw solid as a rock.

Last is high power, Well on this chart there might be two things that influence the chart. One is the batteries that have such a low amperage that drain FAST, the second one is the heating of the diode.

As you can see it peaks 910mw, almost 1W and in this size.... incredible...

I would like to thank again troublesome for the great deal for this two lasers, also Blord for making such a nice laser.
More reviews to come...

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Nice little EDC you got there!
Multiple power levels, a nice touch.
Do you have any comparison beam shots at the three different power levels?

Great review Norbyx! Congratulations, insane little pocket burner you have. Blord does some amazing work :)

~ LB

norbyx

Nice little EDC you got there!
Multiple power levels, a nice touch.
Do you have any comparison beam shots at the three different power levels?

Not yet will take them as soon as it gets dark...

Blord

Thanks for the review. I see you bought the GF1 from troublesome.

This was the original LPM graph when the laser was newly build. The measurement was taken from a cold start. As the laser heats up the power drop is dramatical.
Also use a freshly charged 16340 cell as the current drain in HI mode is very great.

LPM%20troublesome%201.2W%20GF1.jpg

norbyx

What kind of LPM do you have? Might it be that mine is out of calibration? Or maybe it is that I used really crappy batteries. I just got some new batteries today. Might try with those.

Last edited:

norbyx

Well I tested it over a fresh battery and it peaked a tad over 1w but nowhere near the graph that blord posted. I shall do a further test once the ophir arrives.

It could also be that someone used it for an extended duty cycle and slightly damaged the diode.......?

Blord

The diodes degrades over time. Especially when it is overdriven.
Also look if the lens is still clean and not foggy. It could block some light.

norbyx

Well no the lens is clean. It might be the degradation of the diode in time, probably because of the size of the laser the previous owner had it in his pocket (like I do) all the time and showed it to friends as I do.
It is almost unbelivable to have a laser this small, with such a power output. Also I would like to ask one question, how did you manage to make the 4 different power settings?

High med low strobe driver. Each setting has a diferent current programed thus giving diferent power outputs

norbyx

High med low strobe driver. Each setting has a diferent current programed thus giving diferent power outputs

Yeah that is what I thought as well. But what driver? A led driver? Laser driver?