Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Beta testers wanted. Laser host giveaway!

Well, its getting to be time for me to mass produce a whole bunch of my new hosts, but I want to make sure I have worked every possible bug out first.

So, I am looking for two volunteers! I will send you a host, and then you build it and report back to me on how everything went. I'll let you keep the host and you can do whatever you want with it after you test it out for me.

I do have a few requirements though;

First, I need experienced builders only. If I allowed inexperienced builders I would have too many variables, and this is science after all!

Second, I ask that you put a decent diode in this thing. I prefer a 12x or a 445, but anything stronger than a 6x will do. This is supposed to be a heavy duty host with lots of heatsinking. Sticking a PHR in it would be such a waste! (I have a very short supply of 445 diodes if you need one for this build only! Please don't PM me asking for diodes!)

Third, I need you to use a decent lens. The plastic lenses do not hold up well to repeated focusing due to the aluminum threads. I need more testing with metal bodied lenses, such as the aixiz 405 lens. You will need to use the full threaded version so that the focus ring will work. Any lens is fine, so long as it is not a plastic lens!

Last, I need pictures and a review! I want to know what you think of the host, what can be improved, what should be added, etc.. I need builders who know how to use a camera!

I am looking to get these things made pretty fast. So I will pick the people I feel are best suited for the challenge on Sunday night and then I will ship the hosts out Monday. I would ask that you build them up as fast as possible so I can get the results in and make any necessary changes. I will pay for shipping, so all I will need is a shipping address.

So, let the fun begin! For starters, post what you would put in the host and some links or pictures of previous builds you have made. Add anything else you like! Please, let's keep this clean! Please don't argue over who is better than who! I will make a rule now that arguing will immediately disqualify you, for the sake of keeping this thread open :whistle:

Thanks for looking!

host039.jpg

Awesome, pontiac. Low on funds right now or I'd be happy to help. Hope you get some serious results.

TTerbo

i am willing to hlp also
i will have
2x445 diodes
1x LCC
and a 6x i could put into it

Oh Chuck I would so jump into this... but I only have a 6x max and I don't want to take it out of its host... too messy :(

What I would personally like to see would be a screw on screw off dustcap (just a cyllindrical aluminum piece that threads to the front cap). Same with the endcap if possible, to make it ultraportable (no dust gets in and it can't be turned on accidentally)... that is if you use a rear clicky.

I would also really like a pure polished aluminum host that has no lines whatsoever, like a polished bar/baton.

EDIT: I HIGHLY suggest RA_Pierce for this. He's a freaking great builder.

Oh Chuck I would so jump into this... but I only have a 6x max and I don't want to take it out of its host... too messy :(

What I would personally like to see would be a screw on screw off dustcap (just a cyllindrical aluminum piece that threads to the front cap). Same with the endcap if possible, to make it ultraportable (no dust gets in and it can't be turned on accidentally)... that is if you use a rear clicky.

I would also really like a pure polished aluminum host that has no lines whatsoever, like a polished bar/baton.

EDIT: I HIGHLY suggest RA_Pierce for this. He's a freaking great builder.

I had actually considered the dustcap thing. There is a solid chunk of aluminum in the tail that I put there for the purpose of threading the cap into the tail when it is in use. But, each piece means more processes which drives the price up, I caned that idea for now but will probably make some accessories sometime in the future.
I used standard sized threads and left lots of room for different setups. For example, you can completely remove the 5.6mm diode pocket piece, and I will be selling different "pockets" such as a c-mount plate, a 9mm pocket, one of those funky square red diodes, and any other style that has enough demand. I'm going to sell extended and contracted driver tubes for larger drivers or super small builds. Or driver tubes with LED holes or interlock pockets for saftey or integration of something like Everett's laserlock. There will be battery extenders and smaller battery barrels to make a smaller host, or one with more voltage/capacity. If I can get someone to help I plan on making an extension to the focus ring that will hold optics such as prisms, barrel lenses, or even a thread on beam expander.
I plan on making this the ultra adaptable host, I will be able to make adaptors for anything and everything that comes along!

As far as polishing it, I still don't know what to do about that. The problem with aluminum is that it is incredibly soft. I can polish it so it is a mirror, but your fingernail can scratch it at that point. I don't know what a clear anodization layer would do to a high polish like that, but I don't think it would look as shiny after being anodized. The best solution would probably be a clear powder coat, but I don't know what that would do as far as heat transfer. I guess I'll have to get the ole powder coat gun out of storage and give it a shot :D

host040.jpg

host041.jpg

host042.jpg

daguin

I'll play :)

Peace,
dave

**EDIT**
I'll probably run a 445nm diode in it.
I've built just about everything

Last edited:
Hey Pontiac, I'll volunteer. I may not have built as many DIYs as daguin or jayrob, but I do have a couple 445nm diodes which need homes(thanks daguin ;)).

Edit: I have a good DSLR (Nikon D60) camera plus a macro lens if that makes any difference.

Last edited:
Me too, I'm in!

I got a 445nm diode on the way, a flexdrive, an aixiz glass lens, and I do have building experience.

Plus I got a great camera and macro lens. :D

Pontiac, thanks for the answer, I'd love to see the things I suggested in a host :D

Kevlar

If you need an extra person with moderate building experience maybe you could consider me. :whistle: I have an A-130 and an A-140 that needs homes. I also have 4 X 405nm aixiz glass that should be here any day and am pretty good with macros. The only thing I don't have at the moment is a good driver :cryyy: although if there is room in your host I could make one using the LM350.

I've put together everything in my sig (although my 6X was a jayrob DIY). I've also assembled my own LM317 driver.

Here are some links to my builds and pics
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/ehgemus-does-again-52503.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f51/my-first-build-50613.html

I understand you're looking for experienced builders, I just thought someone like myself, who have only built a few, would have a different perspective that others without as much building experience my find valuable.

Last edited:
I didn't used to be an experienced builder, but now I've watched all of Kipkay's videos on lasers, so now I'm a pro. I'll take one :thanks:

[quo]teBe careful not to screw the endcap onto your left sclera.[/quote]

LOL!

Well, other than not I'm not entering, sadly.

The reason why I'm posting, however, is to compliment you on an absolutely fabulous-looking host.

It's the first non-flashlight side-button host, too.

Good work- can't wait to see some reviews of that beast!