Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Best laser movie out there!

Kenom

It has come to my attention that there are a LOT of our laser forum members (especially those who are really young) that have NEVER seen the movie "Real Genius"

So, I am taking it upon myself to say... "WHAT THE HELL?!@?!?"
Go out, rent the movie. This is the epitome of ALL laser movies and probably brought a good percentage of us older folks to loving lasers to begin with. Here are a few of the trailers

YouTube - Unreleased Real Genius Trailer
Real Genius Trailer | Free Entertainment Videos - Watch Entertainment Videos Online | Veoh

ZRTMWA

Hahaha, the actor who plays Lazlo Hollyfeld in Real Genius also played Napoleon Dynamite's Uncle Rico in Napoleon Dynamite. John Gries is his name.

From this:

lazlo.gif

To this:

screens_feature-39140.jpeg

I just watched it yesterday (thanks Ken!!). If anybody wants to pirate it for good let me know :D!!

My friend let me barrow this just the other day because he knew I liked lasers.

Pretty good movie.

DTMF

my dad took me to see this . i love this movie and own it . "kent ..this is god kent" lol . love the music in this movie too

That's really funny that movie is just about the only laser movie I've NEVER seen! I surely would qualify as an "old timer" around here anyway, being that I will be 40 next year, so I was a teenager when it came out. But honestly I really don't even remember that film when it was first released; probably because I wasn't into sci-fi back then (other than stuff like Star Wars - what child didn't want to see those films!?) or lasers.

I have been keeping an eye out for it on the various movie channels we get on satellite tv, but so far it hasn't been on that I know of. Which is surprising - some of those channels show lots of 80's era genre films. I suppose I'll get around to seeing it someday, considering the high marks it gets from most everyone here.

Speaking of movies, here's some laser-related movie trivia for you: The very first depiction of a laser in a movie was the early 60's (not sure of the year, 1961 or 62 I think) James Bond film Goldfinger. Of course, in many 50's sci-fi films, such as War of the Worlds, various sorts of "ray guns" were depicted, but those don't count because lasers didn't exist (only in theory) and no one had any idea of what a laser beam might look like. The villain
Goldfinger had himself either a continuous wave ruby laser (which as we all know is impossible, though if the pulse rate is high enough the beam would appear to be continuous) or a seriously over-powered bank of 660nm diode lasers! Interesting, though, that the first laser in film belonged to the villain!

Some of the other earlier (earlier than Real Genius) sci-fi films had some "interesting" scenes of laser mayhem in them like Andromeda Strain and Logan's Run, to name a couple that come to mind. If you're bored you may want to check those two out - actually, they aren't bad movies, especially with all the tripped out psychedelic weirdness of early 70's science fiction movies.

I just watched it yesterday (thanks Ken!!). If anybody wants to pirate it for good let me know :D!!
Yes please.

Another older movie, not a laser movie, but with a couple of scenes with a VERY big argon laser the size a of an industrial laid burning trough metal... It was a very good movie but I don't remember the title. It was some kid who made his own A-bomb just because he could, anyone recognise this move???

Dusty

I watched this movie the other night after reading this thread...really enjoyed it...made one of my friends watch it the next day...:yh:

Cheers for the heads up on this movie Ken...:beer:

The movie your talking about is The Manhattan Project i think. It was a pretty decent movie i remember being like hey i can make one of those to lol.