Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Buy Site Supporter Role (remove some ads) | LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery | Browser Hide by Avery

B&W-tech Spectrometer & 473 module: Setup+Mods+Info

Have any of you guys found where to get some dust covers for the fiber connectors?
I've looks around online for a bit but I've only found a few places that have dust covers for SMA-905 fibers.
Just don't like storing them unprotected from dust etc.

As for the fiber connection on the spectrometer side, I found some PVC end caps that fit perfect. So I am set with that.

I keep all my spectrometers wrapped up and away from dust and dirt. The slit is so small it is unlikely it could pass much through it, but I suppose it could get clogged. It would need to be in a very dirty environment for this to happen, I would think. The fiber optics are terminated and unless you get them dirty, shouldn't need to be protected from dust. Regardless, I keep mine wrapped up as well.

Is it ok to clean the end of the fibers from these units in a little soapy water in an ultrasonic? No idea what these are made from. Don’t need to do it but curious.

I wouldn't do that. If you need to, you can use lens cleaner on a lint free cloth and wipe them off with that.

So I have an idea. Wonder what you think. If I remove the sensor and the back of the housing, can I relocate the sensor farther back like say 24" or so to get a higher resolution. What I was thinking was to mount the sensor on a carriage and have it run multiple captures to get the whole spectrum and them stitch them together to make a super high resolution device. I think it might get down in the milli nm range. Idea is to spread the spectrum out so you see more pixels in a smaller spectrum. Problem I see is repeat-ability of the sled holding the sensor. Another idea is to use multiple units that are fixed with over lap and stitch that together. I have no plans to do this. Just an interesting thought.

So I have an idea. Wonder what you think. If I remove the sensor and the back of the housing, can I relocate the sensor farther back like say 24" or so to get a higher resolution. What I was thinking was to mount the sensor on a carriage and have it run multiple captures to get the whole spectrum and them stitch them together to make a super high resolution device. I think it might get down in the milli nm range. Idea is to spread the spectrum out so you see more pixels in a smaller spectrum. Problem I see is repeat-ability of the sled holding the sensor. Another idea is to use multiple units that are fixed with over lap and stitch that together. I have no plans to do this. Just an interesting thought.

Hi, have a look at posting nr 299 here .
Someboby was selling an array of multiple ocean optics S2000 at ebay ....

So I have an idea. Wonder what you think. If I remove the sensor and the back of the housing, can I relocate the sensor farther back like say 24" or so to get a higher resolution. What I was thinking was to mount the sensor on a carriage and have it run multiple captures to get the whole spectrum and them stitch them together to make a super high resolution device. I think it might get down in the milli nm range.

As far as I understand these units, if you move the detector, it will be out of the focus of the focussing mirror. I think you would need a focussing mirror with a different focal length to make your idea work. The combination of multiple spectrometers should work (I am planning to do this as well).

Is it ok to clean the end of the fibers from these units in a little soapy water in an ultrasonic? No idea what these are made from. Don’t need to do it but curious.

Its best to follow correct fibre handling and cleaning procedures.

There are dedicated fibre cleaning tools (price vary).

The best alternative is using AlcoWipes and lens cleaning tissue.

The method is holding the termination at 90 deg (vertical) to the cleaning pad and drag towards you and turning the terminator as you drag.

The Iso Alcohol will dissolve any oils, and lens tissue to polish up at the end.

Also, always be mindful that you don't exceed bend radius on fibres.

He is concerned with cleaning already terminated fiber optics. So, your recommendations, while correct for unterminated fibers, don't apply here.

We may have a new member signing up here soon from PL who was asking some questions about this equipment, his ID over there is danielwood. He is asking questions about power adjustments in software.

We may have a new member signing up here soon from PL who was asking some questions about this equipment, his ID over there is danielwood. He is asking questions about power adjustments in software.

He must not have much experience with spectrometers. You can't adjust the power into it with the software. He will likely have many other questions as well.

Hello, as you know, the large hollow mirror serves to project the spectrum onto the plane of the sensor.
Depending on the setting of the image plane, more or less exactly on the sensor surface, the resolution of the separately representable spectral lines also changes.
That also means that the displayed signal strength decreases with a more exact setting on the image plane,
because the slightly different wavelengths now land more precisely on different pixels and the resolution is higher, you see more details.

Now do not jump directly on such a change attempt, because the whole is very difficile ....
If you have more than one device you can play experimentally of course ....

Soon more to this ...

pic 1 original, pic 2 changed mirror

Attachments

• 1 original.jpg
    1 original.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 30
  • 2 diag left.jpg
    2 diag left.jpg
    218.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Reactions: GSS
I've just finished some wavelength calibration of one spectrometer I have and it seems that the wavelength range for it is lower what I've heard the range to be.
I've already removed the baffles and filter, but I have not touched anything else. The uppermost pixel goes to <637nm and the lowest pixel looks to be around <400nm. Or at least my 405nm shows up at pixel# 150. Is that normal?

I'm trying to bin some 638nm diodes and they just barely show at the top end of the spectrum but not enough to see the peaks. :( I have a few other spectrometer units I guess I'll have to extract then.

Last edited:
I've just finished some wavelength calibration of one spectrometer I have and it seems that the wavelength range for it is lower what I've heard the range to be.
I've already removed the baffles and filter, but I have not touched anything else. The uppermost pixel goes to <637nm and the lowest pixel looks to be around <400nm. Or at least my 405nm shows up at pixel# 150. Is that normal?

I'm trying to bin some 638nm diodes and they just barely show at the top end of the spectrum but not enough to see the peaks. :( I have a few other spectrometer units I guess I'll have to extract then.

This range can be more or less normal for this grating, if you want to go more into the red without changing the grating or without moving optical parts, you have to look at the label of the device for one with lower numbers "left pixel, right pixel". This device is than a little bit shifted to the red (without have been modified).

Back