Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

B&W-tech Spectrometer & 473 module: Setup+Mods+Info

I have a 1300 mW 532nm DPSS lab laser. Will this do for a laser source? Also, you mentioned using a microscope. I do not have a good professional one of these. I could go looking on eBay for one if I knew what exactly to look for. I guess I could do a lot of research and do it all myself, but since you are already quite familiar with these, I was hoping to get much of my information from you. :thanks:

I have a 1300 mW 532nm DPSS lab laser. Will this do for a laser source? Also, you mentioned using a microscope. I do not have a good professional one of these. I could go looking on eBay for one if I knew what exactly to look for. I guess I could do a lot of research and do it all myself, but since you are already quite familiar with these, I was hoping to get much of my information from you. :thanks:

Yes, such a laser will fit, maybe you have to use a laserlinefilter (this depends on the quality of the beam) and this laser has to be controlled in the poweroutput. Also you MUST not use a microscope, there are different sulutions ... We will discuss it in the new RAMAN-treat .

On the science-surplus site, the mention this ...

Does anyone know what this is and if so, do you have any links to information on it?

Thanks
John

Hi , here you see what they mean, you can buy a sensorchip with such a second-order filter an replace it :

Link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ocean-Op...LX511-SECOND-ORDER-LIGHT-FILTER-/142462975520

Also you may find different other modification like UV coatings or chips with removed coverglas and so on ...

Last edited:
Re: B&Wtech 473nm unit / Spectrometer Mods & Info

Hi , here you see what they mean, you can buy a sensorchip with such a second-order filter an replace it :

Link:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ocean-Op...LX511-SECOND-ORDER-LIGHT-FILTER-/142462975520

Also you may find different other modification like UV coatings or chips with removed coverglas and so on ...

Ah, I think I spotted it. Is it the glass rod looking thing attached to the front of the sensor?

Thank you!

Awesome, it is located in Orlando Florida! if I can find a local number for them I might be able to just go pick it up :D

Last edited:

Ah, I think I spotted it. Is it the glass rod looking thing attached to the front of the sensor?

Thank you!

Awesome, it is located in Orlando Florida! if I can find a local number for them I might be able to just go pick it up :D

Yes, it is the glass rod, but this auction seems to be a little expensive.

Yes, it is the glass rod, but this auction seems to be a little expensive.

Funny thing, I reached out to the guy to see if I could pick up locally. In his response, he asked if I was planning on putting the sensor into an Ocean Optics spectrometer, to which I replied no, I was planning on putting it into a B&W Tech unit. He was not familiar with these and asked if I had some pictures and if they were selling on ebay. I pointed him to the forum and shared the ebay link with him.

We emailed back and fourth a couple times and I shared with him some more details about the machines and some plans I had for them. Long story short, he advised against getting it as it probably wouldn't work without possibly having to change the grating too.

After all that, he ended up buying a couple of them and a usb to serial adapter cable from ebay.

Hopefully he will pop in here and say hi :)

Funny thing, I reached out to the guy to see if I could pick up locally. In his response, he asked if I was planning on putting the sensor into an Ocean Optics spectrometer, to which I replied no, I was planning on putting it into a B&W Tech unit. He was not familiar with these and asked if I had some pictures and if they were selling on ebay. I pointed him to the forum and shared the ebay link with him.

We emailed back and fourth a couple times and I shared with him some more details about the machines and some plans I had for them. Long story short, he advised against getting it as it probably wouldn't work without possibly having to change the grating too.

After all that, he ended up buying a couple of them and a usb to serial adapter cable from ebay.

Hopefully he will pop in here and say hi :)

Yes Agastar, i posted this only because somebody asked about it without verifying background. But it will be fine, if we will get new participans.

Last edited:

Yes Agastar, i posted this only because somebody asked about it without verifying background. But it will be fine, if we will get new participans.

I had asked what the second order filter on these things were and if anyone had any info or links. So, I'm assuming you are referring to me lol.

I did google for it before I posted my question here but was unsuccessful in finding it. I'm not saying it wasn't staring me in the face and I didn't know what I was looking at (that is entirely possible) but I don't recall seeing anything like that in my searches. It is possible I just needed to see a picture of it before it clicked for me :)

Please bear with me, I'm still a noob at all this. I do try to do my research before posting but sometimes I am unsuccessful and I'm left with the only option of asking the dumb questions lol.

Thanks for your help with this :)

kecked

Ok so I’m willing to spring for the detector and try it. Is there any reason this would not just be a drop in replacement? The same sensor with the filter in front. Will need to recalibrate obviously. For 50.00 worth trying. I’m thinking of springing for the hr4000nir and using this for 600-400. I don’t work in the UV so I don’t care. I really want to work in the IR Raman lines.

The reason for the second order filter is to remove the second order spectrum from polluting the first order spectrum. He is right you have to match the grating used to this filter or it won’t work and might ruin the first order signal. Have to match them.

Put a 405 no laser in this spec and see what you see. I see tons of lines that look like fluorescence but really are trash from second order....I think. Maybe I am wrong. That s a guess.

Last edited:

I had asked what the second order filter on these things were and if anyone had any info or links. So, I'm assuming you are referring to me lol.

I did google for it before I posted my question here but was unsuccessful in finding it. I'm not saying it wasn't staring me in the face and I didn't know what I was looking at (that is entirely possible) but I don't recall seeing anything like that in my searches. It is possible I just needed to see a picture of it before it clicked for me :)

Please bear with me, I'm still a noob at all this. I do try to do my research before posting but sometimes I am unsuccessful and I'm left with the only option of asking the dumb questions lol.

Thanks for your help with this :)

Hello Agastar, I did not want to upset or criticize you, that would not be my style. Since my language is not english, my expressions are sometimes not completely clean. I meant with "without verifying background" me, not you. So "without verifying background be me" and then I just missed, that "somebody" you are ... sorry for the misunderstanding.

Ok so I’m willing to spring for the detector and try it. Is there any reason this would not just be a drop in replacement? The same sensor with the filter in front. Will need to recalibrate obviously. For 50.00 worth trying. I’m thinking of springing for the hr4000nir and using this for 600-400. I don’t work in the UV so I don’t care. I really want to work in the IR Raman lines.

The reason for the second order filter is to remove the second order spectrum from polluting the first order spectrum. He is right you have to match the grating used to this filter or it won’t work and might ruin the first order signal. Have to match them.

Put a 405 no laser in this spec and see what you see. I see tons of lines that look like fluorescence but really are trash from second order....I think. Maybe I am wrong. That s a guess.

I ran mine with the filter removed and the beam splitter attached to the 473nm laser. I put the rubber cap on the end and just measured the reflected laser light. If I remember correctly, it looked pretty tight to me. I didn't save an image of it so I'll have to repeat that and post it here :)

Hello Agastar, I did not want to upset or criticize you, that would not be my style. Since my language is not english, my expressions are sometimes not completely clean. I meant with "without verifying background" me, not you. So "without verifying background be me" and then I just missed, that "somebody" you are ... sorry for the misunderstanding.

LOL, a lot can get lost in translation. no worries and thanks for the clerification :)

anything outside of your two outer [calibration] points are not even close to what you think they are.

They might not be spot-on, but I doubt they'd be out of spec, and I'd be damn impressed if they were "not even close" as you say. I can't see 355nm being perfect, yet 335 being "not even close".

Have you tried this or is it a guess? I'm not saying you're wrong, just that I'm not convinced you're right.

Yes, I have tried it when calibrating my USB2000 found 808nm to be ~750nm before getting lines that would include it in the calibration. Later, when calibrating these B&W TEK spectrometers I found the same thing on the outer points that I didn't include in the original calibration. So, I was not making it up, but sharing my experience.

Last edited:

By the way, I designed a housing for the spectrometer in Fusion360 and 3D-printed it. Stand-offs are incorporated and short M3 screws screw straight in to hold the cover and the spectrometer (at least when printed on my printer). Reduces the fan-noise (glued some soft pads to the bottom to avoid the vibration noise), avoids light leaks (I had a small light leak after opening the spectro to remove the internal baffles) and makes it easier to handle.

If anyone is interested in the files, let me know and I will mail them (or if anybody can tell me how to attach for instance stl files, I will attach them here).

EDIT: link to the stl files: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nty4b2hdf31fidg/AACujLNkkfGpkU-TT28plfrEa?dl=0

I finally got around to printing the case for the spectrometer. It is a really nice case :) Here is a pic of mine sitting on my desk.

Attachments

• IMG_2611.JPG
    IMG_2611.JPG
    424.9 KB · Views: 48

kecked

Actually would like three of them or send me the model and I’ll print.

Last edited: