Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Automatic Banning... Neg Rep Criteria???

Things

This actually sounds like a really good idea. The only problem is that if lets jut say you dont like me for xyz reason.. you pm your little buddies to gang up on me and neg rep me.. then im toast, no matter what reason. there needs to be other checks and balances.

Neg rep should definitely be a factor.

Maybe you should think about this a bit more and get a more bullet proof plan. But I think our on to something

The only way they could do that is if THEY got a few + reps for themselves. Your rep doesn't count (Neutral) if you don't have any rep yourself ...

HIMNL9

Imho, you need to manage the "freeze stats" of vbulletin script, before think to add any automated banning system.

Let me try to explain what i mean.

When you become banned, your profile, rep points, post count, and all the rest, become stored and "freezed" (in the sense that, if the admin don't change them manually, all these data cannot change for all the time you're "on vacation" :p)

But this means also that, if you just add a command for ban a person when he reach -50 neg rep points, as example, he become automatically banned forever, cause, when the ban end, the script check again, still see the same amount of neg rep, and re-ban you on-the-fly, and so again and again endless.

Other than this, the rep points, if i recall correctly, depends both from the number of neg votes, AND ALSO from the rep points of the peoples that give those neg votes, so, you can go at -50 from 25 or 30 "normal" users, with standard neg rep, or from 4 or 5 "high rate" users, with high rep points (i'm not completely sure about the cyphers, you need to ask c0ld about how he set up the script, but i at least know that VB script have this feature, in it) ..... so, you have to decide how much negative points you need for an automated ban both considering an average amount (or, maybe, only the number of the peoples that gave neg reps in a certain amount of time, as example, if 25 peoples give you neg rep in a year, this can have any reason, if the same number of peoples give you neg reps in a pair of weeks, means usually that you've really done something wrong), AND also modify the script for change automatically the neg rep points of the banned user before the end of the ban, as example, putting it back to zero, for avoid the endless loop.

It's just a personal idea, but i think that, basically, can be safely done, if you take care of these details ..... and, ofcourse, also a banned user must have the right to ask for the admin intervent, if he/she think that for some reason was a "conspiration", or a misunderstanding, so the admin still have the last word (but this is normal :p)

Also, what about a "warning trigger" function ? ..... as example, taking the -50 as ban limit, you get an automated PM at, like, -25, that say you "be careful, you're near to be kicked out, if you don't change your conduct" ..... or something similar :D

Last edited:
I thought that you could turn off the rep feature in this forum.CMIIW:toilet:

Yea Mike ! go with post # 15 usuly when you quit feeding the wild life it goes away and feeds somewhere else. :whistle:

Peace All Pyro...

daguin

1... Is this a major problem here? Seems to be a few "members".
2... Let's not make this forum like some others we have read about.
3... Ignor the idiots. Do NOT make a return post. Do not feed the animals.

Mike

Hear! Hear!

Writing "laws" that will effect the majority to try to keep from having to deal with a troublesome minority, doesn't stop irritations from popping up. It restricts the majority for expedience sake.

Yes the drama sucks, but drama is part of life. With >8K members and an open membership architecture, idiots are going to pop up occasionally. When they do, we should deal with them on a case-by-case basis.

The freedom that Avery allows here is one of the best things about this forum (and one of the main reasons that here is one of the few places I post any more).

Peace,
dave

HIMNL9

I thought that you could turn off the rep feature in this forum.CMIIW:toilet:

You can turn off the SHOWING function of the rep points (i mean, not left the others see what points you have), but cannot turn off the rep function itself ..... also if other users cannot see your points, all are still able to add to your rep positive or negative points ;)

Hear! Hear!

Writing "laws" that will effect the majority to try to keep from having to deal with a troublesome minority, doesn't stop irritations from popping up. It restricts the majority for expedience sake.

Yes the drama sucks, but drama is part of life. With >8K members and an open membership architecture, idiots are going to pop up occasionally. When they do, we should deal with them on a case-by-case basis.

The freedom that Avery allows here is one of the best things about this forum (and one of the main reasons that here is one of the few places I post any more).

Peace,
dave

After reading the above posts... this seems to make a lot of sense..
especially this part..

As was mentioned on a previous post above...
If you can get members to throw Neg Reps at a Member to get him banned...
you could easily get members to complain to the Admin to get him banned...
with no record (rep comments) of who asked for the Ban..

I can see my idea was a bit redundant.....:yabbem:

But that is why I asked for all your Inputs...:cool:

Jerry

Grix

The idea is that this forum got no moderators, if neg-rep could ban, then every member would be a moderator, especially the veterans with a lot of rep power.

HIMNL9

The idea is that this forum got no moderators, if neg-rep could ban, then every member would be a moderator, especially the veterans with a lot of rep power.

Yes, but i've seen other places with "self-moderated" communities, turning in very bad places ..... where "veterans" made a sort of "elite group" and decide who stay and who go, basing the choices on personal advantages and personal simpathy (or personal stupidity :p), instead true facts and true forum conduct ..... just for made an example, peoples banned for "too much errors writing english" (same as if anyone on the internet must be born in England :p) ..... or "inadequate knowledge of the forum topics" (like, yeah, anyone that subscribe must be an expert, we don't accept newbies, here) ..... or "too much critics against veterans" (like, one of the veterans made an error, a newbie correct it, and become neg rep from other veterans :p) ..... and so on.

Anyway, i never got banned from any of these forums, for a simple reason ..... the exact moment that i realize that a forum is something similar to the above examples, i left them cooking in their pot and go away ..... usually i lurk for some time, before join a forum, and most of the times, i just not subscribe, right for those things.

Also here, i lurked for some time, before subscribe, having seen that it's a self-moderated community ..... i've not yet seen the same things here (at least, not til now), and, saying it clearly, i'm happy that i've found a place where seem that the conduct of veterans is based on facts, instead idiosincrasy (or idiocy :p) ..... and can just hope that things continue this way.

So, no matter if you implement an automated banning system or not, just keep up the good work :)