Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ARGraph datalogging add on - Open Source

Trevor

Re: Add datalogging to any LPM

I thought open source meant it will be shared when the person is done and ready to share. They make their final project open for everyone to see and share the info so a person can either build upon it or use it as is. Not necessarly as they go through it and are fixing things as they go along. Otherwise it could be a huge mess as everybody trying to put input to the project. It's not like I see them asking for anyones help and then hiding the results. It's more they are building the project and willing to share once they are done. Two different scenarios in my opinion and that's all it is, my opinion which doesn't count for much.

It's not in Jerry's best interest for high quality open-source projects to exist. He is what business people call "rationally self-interested." :)

You'll get used to him hovering around these threads.

Trevor

It's not in Jerry's best interest for high quality open-source projects to exist. He is what business people call "rationally self-interested." :)

You'll get used to him hovering around these threads.

Trevor

What business people is that Trevor.... You ????:crackup:

@ ARG...
That now helps others that may have the same issues..
Thanks for sharing...:beer:

Jerry

You can contact us at any time through our Website: J.BAUER Electronics

Last edited:

Trevor

What business people is that Trevor.... You ????:crackup:

@ ARG...
That now helps others that may have the same issues..
Thanks for sharing...:beer:

Jerry

I rest my case. ;)

Blord said:
Like Trevor said, the DPSS laser has the tendency of erratic output.
I took a red laser for another test to see if it is noise. Red lasers are very stable like other diodes laser. I don't think it is noise.
The sample rate is 5 per second. I don't know if it is a property of the software or the hardware.

Just an FYI, that LaserBee protocol and thus, the software, requires rounded values (before "legal issues" - it's evident if you look at the graph). You might need to ultimately use a different LPM interface if you want to use to the full capabilities of the datalogger board.

No sense in throwing away data, I suppose. :p

Trevor

Last edited:

ARG

Just an FYI, that LaserBee protocol and thus, the software, requires rounded values (before "legal issues" - it's evident if you look at the graph). You might need to ultimately use a different LPM interface if you want to use to the full capabilities of the datalogger board.

No sense in throwing away data, I suppose. :p

Yup, the datalogging board can support the .5mW precision that the Ophir 20C-A can offer, but it will be bottled necked by the Eagle Eye software.

Hey guys!

Well to clarify my problem (which is now solved thanks ARG!) for other members that get ARG's addon. I initially plugged in the arduino expecting to see a plotting tool and done. I had no knowledge with arduino's whatsoever so i red different thread saying that this was compatible with open LPM. So what i did was download the arduino software. First installed the drivers (which i had no idea of i needed to do that :p) and flashed openLPM onto it. So i did that and plugged the arduino in bam nothing no plotting tool nothing. So i PM'd ARG laser and blord what i needed to do. I found out that the original software was allready flashed onto there and i did not have that anymore. So ARG sent me the correct text string to make it work again. Also he provided me with a plotting software called megunolink which works great for me for now!

Thanks everybody for helping your fellow arduino noob :wave:

greetings,,

Pman

Blord, did you hookup the way it was suggested by Arg?
Offroad, how did you integrate yours?
Assuming neither of you got the display panel then?
Have either of you tried running/not running your original displays and comparing the graphs?
Ran a test using one/two displays with a couple of stable units switching them on/off and showed basically no apreciable difference (2mv max at just over 1W). My setup is like Blords as far as seperate power for Ophir/displays.

Blord

I have connected like ARGLaser said but I use the 4xAA powersource of the panel for the add-on board. The two 9V batteries are strictly for the Ophir head.

The values on computer monitor and the voltage panel aren't exactly the same but it is within 2/3mW over the multiwatt lasers.

I also have connected the board like arg said :) readings are perfect. Only when the third 9v battery of the display is about to doe the display reads messed up numbers. So right now i am making a slightly bigger allu box with 2x 9v for the ophir and 2x 18650 for display and datalogging for LONG runtimes :)

Greetings,,

I also have connected the board like arg said :) readings are perfect. Only when the third 9v battery of the display is about to doe the display reads messed up numbers. So right now i am making a slightly bigger allu box with 2x 9v for the ophir and 2x 18650 for display and datalogging for LONG runtimes :)

Greetings,,

Eager to see some pics!! :drool:
Wow!!

Pman

So basically we are all seeing about the same thing and there's no significant (for us hobbyists) signal degredation. This is good news. Multiple people, multiple tests with same conclusion:)
Gotta love working thru all this together. Apreciate input from multiple sources. Being able to compare and confirm things helps everyone.

So, neither of you got the display then correct?

Blord

Re: Add datalogging to any LPM - Open Source

The signal from the Ophir head is analog. The datalog add-on and the voltage panel interpreted the signal as voltage signal. There could be anything that could affect the reading like the quality of the leads, voltage panel accuracy etc.

Last edited:

ARG

Re: Add datalogging to any LPM - Open Source

I test every data logging add on before sending it out, most read the same as my Fluke DMM, some are off by 1mV at the 2-5V range which isn't much of an issue.

As Blord said, resistance of the wire, accuracy of the screen, the analog to digital converter accuracy, and the reference voltage regulator all effect the final accuracy. A couple millivolts difference at the higher powers isn't much of an issue anyway since the Ophir head is only accurate within 3%.

Last edited:

Pman

Agreed Blord/ARG/Offroad. There are many factors that can affect the signal. In the correct combination readings can go very wrong. The more info./testing done the better. It's important to find what works and is consistent and what doesn't so we can all talk apples to apples.
Take the recent Sky GB for example. When you have to prove a laser is under spec having some kind of standardization matters especially when a unit is borderline. Wouldn't want to claim a unit is slightly under spec and send it back only to have to pay shipping both ways to get the unit when the manufacturer says it still meets spec. Infin is in the middle of this right now.
Don't want to go thru a manufacturer demanding to know every little parameter of my LPMs. Who wants to have to report awg size, mv, mw, resistance, battery voltage, brand and M# of display, brand and M# of battery, charger, ambient temp, pressure, data logging, shielding, interference, isolation, regulation, heat sinking, calibration, zero function, computer platform, program, versions, firmware, feedback etc....
You guys along with many others are into full disclosure and I for one more than appreciate this so a big :thanks: to all of you:)
Keeping in mind that most of us are hobbyists, there are reasonable steps that we can take to keep each other out of trouble. Remember when it was discussed how it was important to cut both the + & - on the Ophir at the same time. Sure don't want to kill mine!
I like that the questions are being asked openly so we ALL benefit. Try to help where I can. If I mess something up I fully plan to let others know so they don't make the same mistake. Some of you saved me from myself along the way with your suggestions/comments about yourselves, others and me myself and I (yeah, all 3 of me):)

"Then snip the Vin pin beneath the small board on the Arduino ?"
What exacty does this do or why is this necessary? Thanks in advance.

Thinkin at this point that noone is going to make a common ground + & - dc isolated fully regulated (no drop in voltage on one side) power supply circuit add-on because it's not enough of an issue.

Last edited:

ARG

@Pman
Blord was using 6V (four AA's) and the Arduino wouldn't run on that voltage in, so I told him to snip the Vin pin which makes it so the 6V wont go to the Arduino.
This way the 6V would any be powering the analog to digital converter, the Arduino would only be powered when it's connected to USB.
It's only necessary if using a 5.2V-6.5V source.

Thanks for the donation :)