Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Arctic's Open Source RGB Laser Host

AD...you are KILL'EN ME !!!!! :D:D:D

You render skills are beautiful !!! Whereas...I am stuck in the Standard 2D AutoCAD world !!!...( For now )

That is a beautiful design !!! AND...Perhaps...it is time for me to grapple with 3D printing...to give flight to whatever I can imagine !!!....And...I can imagine quite a lot !!!

You can be sure...that when I build the dual RGB ( White Lightning) units....your work ...and that of RB Astro ...will have blazed a trail for me to follow....especially in the electronic control area !!!

But...alas...unless I evolve to the magic of 3D printing...your design will be just stunning vs. the WL units. I still prefer metal...vs. plastic as a material.....I really admire the look of Aluminum vs. plastic......and... Aluminum is a stronger, more robust, superior heat dissipation choice. BUI...the design possibilities with 3D printing...are staggering !!!!....Hmmmmm ?????

A lot to think about !!! :eg::eg:

CDBEAM :tinfoil::tinfoil:

I personally found transition from basic CAD to Fusion360 quite easy. First you draw 2D profile then extrude it to 3D.

And Fusion360 is free to enthusiast & hobbyist.

Secondly you can re-use all drawn components in later projects (eg cylinderical lens mount etc). When you update original component it will automaticly updated to all drawings it's included.

edmund_omwr1n.png

-Also Edmund Optics and Thorlabs are offering 3D CAD files (IGES or STEP) of most of components they are selling.

And electrical component manufactures are offering those too. :san:

I wonder how it would turn out 3d printing this, then taking it and molding it with wax and doing an aluminum pour into sand.

Clearly wouldn't be the best in the world but it might turn out pretty nice. Especially if it was going to be painted.

@Optlasers
Do you sell just the mount itself so I could put my own diodes into it?

BobMc

I am so impressed :drool: I'm at a loss for words. Great job! Simply stunning.

Thanks guys! :)

I made few minor changes to 3D files and updated DL link..

UPDATED:

- More filament to Mid Section (under the Matek mount)
- Changes to Main Frame & Top Frame for easier dichro re-alignment
- Hole for extra switch on the End Cap. A safety feature for Laser trasportation, switch is now in quite safe place inside the host. (you can also wire battery connectors without extra switch)

Section_analysis.jpg

Mainframe_Rev8.jpg

EndCap_Rev8.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GSS

Radim

ArcticDude, this is amazing! I would rep you if I could.

Did you consider more comfortable form of regulation of RGB channels? I would imagine three rings (looking like focus ring on camera lens) around the host as switches to mix and maybe one more for overall power.

3D files has been sent for printing service now, I also made few more minor updates to host.

I updated part list & DL Link in first post..

3D Files (Rev 11) D/L link:
DOWNLOAD >>

EDIT:
BTW I ran this test setup with 3x 26650 Li-Ion continuously over 4 hours, and OptLaser RGB module didn't even get warm!

Last edited:
Unfornately there's gonna be some delays with this project since 3D printer broke up.. Hopefully new parts for printer arrive soon.. :yabbem:

printer_broken.jpg

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Oh! Nice 3D printer ... before it broke. :( How much is that going to set you back?

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Not good. I hope it won't cost too much to repair. Best of luck. :beer:

Woohoo!! Some progress finally.. :)
Needs some sanding..

Just one last printable part left, battery section...

main_frame.jpg

Looks good, a lot more like aluminum than I had thought it would.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Glad to see it working ArcticDude. :) Could you image how good it would look if someone got it SLS printed. Looking forward to seeing the end product. :beer: