Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Any WORKING mkv-to-avi and ogg-to-avi converters ?

HIMNL9

As the title say ..... i need to convert some different video formats (mainly anime series :p) to avi, for play them with home players (they don't accept any non-common format, including ogg and mkv, and they don't play over 720x576 frame resolutions).

I've tried different programs, both freeware and pay ones (in demo versions), but til now, found nothing that work ..... for different formats that are NOT mkv and ogg, i already purchased Allok converter (shareware license), and it work good, but unfortunately it does not manage these two formats, and apparently the developers don't care about them ..... tried various mkv-to-avi and ogg-to-avi programs, also shareware (demo), including the DigitByte ones publicized on some sites, but nothing to do, they don't work (or stops after 20 to 40 seconds randomly, or creates short and unreadable files, or sometimes just crash when i press convert).

Does anyone know a WORKING program that can convert mkv and ogg files, mostly with subtitles, into standard avi format, also changing size when needed ?

Thanks for any suggestion.

EDIT: forgot to say, under windows XP, NOT vista/vienna craps, please :D.

Last edited:

Damn, its been so long since I've played with video that I forgot a lot of techniques.

This forum always answered all my questions, and had plenty of freeware. Check it out...VideoHelp.com Forum

rhd

Its actually super easy.

Neither mkv avid not avi are formats, they're containers. All you need to do is move the streams. You don't need to convert.

You can demux the streams with microphonic. Then mux the streams with any avi muxer. Or you can even do it faster with graphedit.

I know you aren't looking on the mac side, but if anyone is. Mpeg Streamclip is super easy.

rhd

I believe you can do all that with Any Video Converter.

Again though, you really don't want to be converting the video, you just want to change the container type from MKV to AVI.

If you convert the video, you'll loose some quality, and it will take a chunk of time and processing power for each file.

If you just move the audio/video from an MKV container to an AVI, you won't loose any quality, and it will take a few seconds (maybe a minute) instead of much longer.

DTR

Try using Mkvtoolnix (free) for extracting the data from the MKV container. I believe it can dump it out as an AVI; however, the data will be written out as separate streams (separate video and audio files), so you'll need to mux them again into a single AVI. Here is a tutorial. AVI-muxing is also described in the tutorial.

I used the tool to rip some music from an MKV in raw form. It sure beat transcoding it.

Edit: I noticed you needed to resize them as well. You'll need to use a video editor after your data has been extracted. You can try something like VirtualDub for that, using one of its resize filters. It'll also do the audio muxing if needed.

Last edited:

HIMNL9

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions ..... i will check all of them in these days, and let you know if they work.

In the meantime, a +1 to all of you (or, at least, to all the ones where the system left me to do it ..... ped and BB, i owe you a +1 too, when the system left me do that :beer:)