Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Aixiz Lasers & 445 Lens Coating Mistake

DSCN2000.jpg

Based on the color of the reflected light off the lens, i would say the only
405-445nm lense you have is the bottom right, all the others have blue tint
made to pass red light, even if they do have varying saturations of blue, they are still blue

I got 25 lenses today. Half of them are adding spatter all around the spot. I waited fir many weeks and am not satisfied. I don't even want to use half of them. I like a clean spot and I can't get it with many of these lenses. Not impressed one but with their recent performance.

Kevlar

Well.. the bottom middle has no notches(tiny holes instead) for one thing and the bottom right looks to have wider notches-irregardless of the obvious different tints.

BTW they look different in different lighting (sun vs Fluorescent vs Incandescent, etc)

-- so don't jump to conclusions til you are sure. and also what is under the lens when you are looking at it too.

I know the notches and tiny holes are a difference but I really wasn't taking that into consideration, I was just trying to compare the coatings.

That is why I took pictures with the lenses on different colored backgrounds

I wish I had the cash to get a LPM so I could do some real science testing...

I'm trying not to jump to conclusions that is why I posted this to get some other opinions :D I just don't want to tell Chuck I received the wrong thing when I might not have.

@ Yobresal, what lens have you tried that gives you the best results?

Last edited:
I understand Kev-- the 'dont jump' was not meant for you, but for those who did not have any others to compare with. Great photos Kev- that will help to avoid confusion ...

too bad there is not a color code added to the outside of the barrel to make for quickm and easy sorting .

Luke-- If the china maker of these cant get it right- that only makes more probs for us and AixiZ too--afiak the old 405 glass was consistant and came from the same china source-the maker needs better QC-- fer sure. When I met w/ Chuck he mentioned that he had just sent you a lot order--sorry I did not say 'Make sure he gets the right ones!!--

although it is a PITA- he will(most likely) let you exchange them and cover your postage-- he may want them to send back to the maker.

big time waster for us and a no-porfit deal for aixiz

ps my package arrived from you--TY-wow--thank you X100--

Any body else notice this?
For those of you who have the real old school, half thread lens. Do you guys see a difference in beam quality?

I got 25 lenses today. Half of them are adding spatter all around the spot. I waited fir many weeks and am not satisfied. I don't even want to use half of them. I like a clean spot and I can't get it with many of these lenses. Not impressed one but with their recent performance.

I noticed this as well, with my new lens from jayrob. It does have the correct gold coating, but it has horrible beam scatter. It's so bad I'm not even using it.

I have one original half thread aixiz 405nm lens, and it rocks. It does such a wonderful job with these diodes. It just sucks only having one good lens.
I sure hope Aixiz sorts this crap out:yabbmad:

rpaloalto;

I have been investigating the "beam scatter phenomenon" issue.

It seems to be coming from non-uniform blue AR coating designed for Red laser diodes.

I examined one just received Aixiz lens that had "scatter" all over the field of view.

The AR coating was splotchy on the surface of the lens.

I have bought many "405" coated Aixiz lenses in the past,
without observing any of this new "scatter".

I am beginning to seriously question this new "coating lab"
that Aixiz is using for these new lenses.

I just sent back my latest shipment of 445 lenses to Aixiz for replacement,
due to scatter and incorrect blue AR coating.

I should have opened one up to check the AR coatings on each of the 3 lenses.

Anybody have a splotchy lens to sacrifice for LPF ??

LarryDFW

P.S. Kevlar - the "pin style" retainer on one of your lenses also has a smaller aperture for the 445nm diode.
Has anybody tried to disassemble any of these ?

Last edited:
I would also like to add that the lens I received from jayrob, the one that has large wing and scatter. Seems to be assembled backwards, when compared to my one good, old school 405nm.

The retaining ring is on the bottom of the assembly, the end closest to the diode.
It should be on top I believe. Like my older 405nm the retaining ring is on top of the assembly where you mount the focus knob.

I sure hope LarryDFW or jayrob are working on a solution to beat this aixiz lens issue.
Something more then just the smaller aperture mod offered on there current 405nm lenses.
:whistle:

Please excuse the noob question here but is this the lenses you are talking about from Aixiz

AixiZ

I have never bought directly from Aixiz in the past I have always got modules through other members but I here their customer support is the bomb lol

Any body else notice this?
For those of you who have the real old school, half thread lens. Do you guys see a difference in beam quality?

I noticed this as well, with my new lens from jayrob. It does have the correct gold coating, but it has horrible beam scatter. It's so bad I'm not even using it.

I have one original half thread aixiz 405nm lens, and it rocks. It does such a wonderful job with these diodes. It just sucks only having one good lens.
I sure hope Aixiz sorts this crap out:yabbmad:

Everybody just HAD to have the full-threaded barrel. :D I'll bet if everyone would have just let them keep getting the original half-threaded lenses none of these issues would have happened. Not an excuse, just an observation.

For the record, o-like sells the original half-threaded 405nm lenses that Aixiz used to sell.

Does anyone have contact info for aixiz? I sent an email to the only address I could find (aixiz@aixiz.com) about my wrong lenses but i've yet to get a reply back from them.

Thanks.. Guess it was just a durrr moment for me though. I see it at the top of their initial web page now.. It's just not listed anywhere once you go into their store.. which is where I was looking. :(

Kevlar

Out of the 3 yellowish/golden tinted lenses I received from Hak, I did notice that not all three are equal. 1 is better than the other 2. The other two have wings and splatter, 1 is worse than the other.

P.S. Kevlar - the "pin style" retainer on one of your lenses also has a smaller aperture for the 445nm diode.

Thanks, this is good to know. I did notice with that particular lens I only have to screw it in very little to get it focused to infinity as opposed to all the other lenses must be screwed almost all the way in to get focused to infinity.

Does anyone have contact info for aixiz? I sent an email to the only address I could find (aixiz@aixiz.com) about my wrong lenses but i've yet to get a reply back from them.

I have this email: cmaricle(at)bigplanet.com. He has been answering my emails within 1-2 days using this email address.