Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Actual Laser Laws by Country

Hi all.
i was looking on the South Australia police site and reading through the state laser law and saw this. (dated 24/8/2011)

Is there something more to this? or is it really ok to have any laser providing you have 3 and keep it in a collection? Can anyone from Australia verify this?

full into here:
http://www.sapolice.sa.gov.au/public/download.jsp?id=49419

13. I have a collection of laser pointers and I have a laser pointer that emits a
beam greater than 1 milliwatt in the collection. What should I do?

a) There must be a minimum of 3 weapons in the collection (not all the weapons
need to be prohibited weapons); and
b) You must maintain a written record in a bound book at your place of residence,
that contains the following details:-
- A record describing and identifying each weapon; and
- A record of each time the weapon leaves your collection or returns to your
collection, including the name/address of the person who has the weapon
whilst it is not in your collection; and
- The date, name and address of any person who has possession of any
weapon in your collection; and
c) You must keep the weapons in a safe and secure manner at your place of
residence and not remove them, unless for one of the regulated purposes.

Last edited:
Funny how the answer to the questions only talks about "weapons", that hardly sounds serious if it's about laser pointers. I have no idea of the implications of this though.

So in the US is it legal to point a 1W 445nm out my window at some tree's ? (even if the tree's are above/behind someones house)

I am currently trying to get some info at the Dutch douane/police station about the import of lasers. It's a slow process though, I'll post they're response here so that perhaps you could add it to the list ^^

What I do know is that in the Netherlands it is not allowed to deal/sell lasers above the 3M class (max 5mW). Also it is not allowed to use those in public.

Gr NMF

I bought on Ebay a Class IIIb helium neon laser. It was rated at 5mW. How does a 5mW Class IIIa laser differ from a 5mW Class IIIb laser? The one I bought on ebay, had its laser head directly cabled to the power supply, with no key interlock. Normally this would be illegal for Class IIIb, but since this laser was EXACTLY on the border at 5mW (thus it could have also been labeled Class IIIa just as accurately) is it then UNNEEDED to have a key switch?

Netherlands everything in lasers can be used by everyone. Exept bothering people and shining in eyes ect witch will fall under disturbing local order or something.
You cannot sell laserpointers above class 2. Modules and projectors no problem and no laws.

In spain: no laser laws at all. Selling high powered pointers at local shops and parents buy them for their 7 year old kid here.

Please add this to post 1 thx:)

And aurelien: what is professional use?
Can i as a experienced laserist shine into the sky with pointers?

Last edited:
So if i were to purchase a laser here, 1.6w, in Illinois, it woud be legal? as long as there are " key-switch interlock and other safety features." ? im sorry but still new, what is a key switch interlock?

Garoq

So if i were to purchase a laser here, 1.6w, in Illinois, it woud be legal? as long as there are " key-switch interlock and other safety features." ? im sorry but still new, what is a key switch interlock?

The key switch interlock prevents you from operating the laser unless the key is inserted and turned to the "on" position. It is legal for you to own a laser of any power, however the FDA considers the sale of any Class 4 handheld laser illegal, regardless of the "safety features". They classify such lasers as "SLA" (surveying, leveling and alignment) which are limited to 5mW maximum output.

It is legal for you to own a laser of any power, however the FDA considers the sale of any Class 4 handheld laser illegal, regardless of the "safety features". They classify such lasers as "SLA" (surveying, leveling and alignment) which are limited to 5mW maximum output.

So basically everyone here has the right to own any power laser they want, but in the eyes of the FDA, we are all criminals? :thinking: lol

Garoq

So basically everyone here has the right to own any power laser they want, but in the eyes of the FDA, we are all criminals? :thinking: lol

I prefer the term "civil disobedience", and only if you're selling class 4 handheld lasers or parts specifically promoted to make said lasers.

Dagh

Posting some info for fellow Norwegians here:

You need to apply Statens strålevern for a permit for classes 3R, 3B and 4.
Lasers of these classes will be seized by customs if they check them, and they'll send you a letter asking for your permit (from Statens Strålevern), rather than sending you the laser.
The application form for this permit has a line asking for the "reason a <20mW laser can't be used for the intended purpose".

A guide to the regulation can be found here. It basically states that there is no sensible use for 20mW+ lasers, so I'm guessing permits aren't handed out willy-nilly.

The regulation itself can be found here.

And the law it refers to is here.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: