Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Actual Laser Laws by Country

Rich Z

Actually, it's defined in that same statute: "(3) As used in this section, “laser pointer” means a device that emits light amplified by the stimulated emission of radiation that is visible to the human eye."

I'm just wondering if a cop has the right to confiscate a laser if it's being used in public. My thinking is no, but I was wondering if anyone had a more definitive answer.

Not that I am any expert, by any means, but the only thing I recall reading a while back was that a laser dot on a cop will get the guy doing the pointing locked up, because it will be construed as being a laser pointer mounted on a firearm. But that might just be the stuff of local folk lore....

Rich Z

Above 5 mW
Proper class IIIB or Class IV warning labels, a keyswitch, emission indicator, possibly a shutter, and a remote interlock connector, emission arperture warning sticker
In rare cases a 5 second or 30 second time delay.

The label wording changes a bit depending on power.

Above 5 mW your going to find a required manual in the package, too.

Steve

Quite frankly, I think a delay feature would make a laser device inherently MORE dangerous to someone who would pick up such a unit not familiar with it. I vividly recall seeing a speaker at a convention pick up a laser pointer off of the podium before startng his talk, and he wanted to test the pointer out. When he clicked the button he couldn't see the dot, so his immediate reaction was to look directly into the front to see if it was working. And of course, it WAS. It was funny at the time, but with a very powerful laser, this could have been a very unpleasant mistake. I think this reaction is pretty much ingrained into people with their experiences with flashlights. A habit hard to break, and definitely dangerous in the use of lasers. IMHO.

That's why an emission indicator is a good idea, it lights before this delay, so you know there's a beam hazard.

And the law from switserland and france?
Im going to corsica on holidays and i need to travel through switserland.(and switserland got border controls)

LSRFAQ

Im going to corsica on holidays and i need to travel through switserland.(and switserland got border controls)

Switzerland and Italy ban pointers over 1 mW and do let local cops or customs enforce.
We have learned that much on PL.

Steve

Switzerland and Italy ban pointers over 1 mW and do let local cops or customs enforce.
We have learned that much on PL.

Steve

thats really bad news :(

oh well maybe il take the risc...but maybe i wont...

i dont wanna miss my lasers on holidays! :(

Benm

Put them in your checked in luggage? I wouldn't take them as carry on when flying - it will probably cause some fuss at xray checks just because its an object that isn't very common and warrants further investigation, regardless if you can or cannot actually take it on board. Last summer i had a very puzzled xray operator when flying from kathmandu to lhasa - turned out the mistery object on the xray was my electric toothbrush from an odd angle. It wasn't problem ofcourse, but it took the guy at least 10 minutes to figure out what he was looking at on his screen.

And if you're driving by car, just toss them in your car door or dashboard case without batteries. If they ask what the device is, just tell them it is a flashlight, but you tossed the batteries because they died or something like that. I doubt they will give it any further thought at land crossings. This might not be the most legal option, but not conceiling something is often a good idea... if you leave something more or less in plain sight, security controls often assume the item to be innocent just because you didn't even bother to conceal it.

Mmmh, i can tell the differences between a laser and flashlight... But removing the batts is a good idea:)

Benm

The difference is mainly in what any local law would define. Lasers are typically monochromatic and low divergence, but the latter could be true for a flashlight with good optics too.

Omitting the power source can help discussions at customs though - since they cannot produce the typical laser beam ont he spot, telling them its 'just a flashlight' becomes more credible ;)

But they can see the aixiz lens...what laser below 1mw has a aixiz?
Maby i can screw it off but then it still looks like a laser.
Customs cant check it but are not dumb either.

But I'm pretty sure they won't recognise an aixiz lens. The chance of having a laser enthousiast at the customs isn't that big.

But I'm pretty sure they won't recognise an aixiz lens. The chance of having a laser enthousiast at the customs isn't that big.

even if i didnt know lasers at all. how can a flashlight have such a small diode/entrance...
the front just doesnt give me the impression of a flashlight.

and in france...? it is allowed in there or not?
i dont wanna run into cops i cant understand lol.

Benm

even if i didnt know lasers at all. how can a flashlight have such a small diode/entrance...
the front just doesnt give me the impression of a flashlight.

Ah well, most people aren't all that interested in 'how stuff works' or science in general. Lasers are no priorities at border crossings... as long as they are convinced that:

- it is not filled with drugs
- it is not a weapon
- it is not a bomb

And as far as flashlights go... i have one on my keychain that just has a single 5mm led as the business end, not much bigger or smaller than the lens/aperture on a typical laser.

In case of diode lasers: You can always honestly say it's a LED, it is after all a light emitting diode, you just don't tell there's some simulated emission going on.

Not that I am any expert, by any means, but the only thing I recall reading a while back was that a laser dot on a cop will get the guy doing the pointing locked up, because it will be construed as being a laser pointer mounted on a firearm. But that might just be the stuff of local folk lore....

I'm pretty sure putting any laser "dot" on a cop will get you shot dead. Not a great idea.