Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A Plea for EYE Safety!!

With OD8 goggles you wouldn't see the beam, but the spot would be visible. a 50mw green beam disappears around OD3, but the spot will be visible.
You sure about that? At OD8 you have 0.000001% transmittance of light through the glasses. At 1W that's 0.001mW coming through. Can you REALLY see that? lol :p

jbtm

It would probably be best then to make a clear defined "Where to get glasses" thread so IF any newbies buy any, its very clear to them where to get the glasses to protect them.?

I do have a question my self...On if I need a new pair. My Eagles glasses, $30, are rated for i beleive 400-600nm defuse protection. This meaning bluray and green, show as a fainted white'ish dot. However, IR is 808nm...So But in a way, bluray is UV not IR.

Does this mean these glasses are still not the best to use because they do NOT protect against anything besides 400-600nm? Sure they can block the color...But the invisible stuff is what I'd care about blocking...

You sure about that? At OD8 you have 0.000001% transmittance of light through the glasses. At 1W that's 0.001mW coming through. Can you REALLY see that? lol :p

Not 100% sure, as I don't have OD8, but how much power do you think is reflected off the little bits of dust that allow you to see a beam normally? I can see the beam from my .9mw green HeNe in a dark room.

jbtm, your glasses are fine for the wavelength of these diodes as they fall within the range. To our current knowledge they don't produce any IR.

Last edited:
It would probably be best then to make a clear defined "Where to get glasses" thread so IF any newbies buy any, its very clear to them where to get the glasses to protect them.?

I do have a question my self...On if I need a new pair. My Eagles glasses, $30, are rated for i beleive 400-600nm defuse protection. This meaning bluray and green, show as a fainted white'ish dot. However, IR is 808nm...So But in a way, bluray is UV not IR.

Does this mean these glasses are still not the best to use because they do NOT protect against anything besides 400-600nm? Sure they can block the color...But the invisible stuff is what I'd care about blocking...

Please clarify your question. I may have not understood it correctly, but if I did, then these 445nm's are diodes, diodes do not emit IR(except IR diodes lol) you are thinking of DPSS....

Also, you really need an optical density rating on your glasses and a decent idea of how much power they can take and for how long they can take it, so short answer is, yes you would need new glasses.

Last edited:

jbtm

So if my glasses are rated to 'defuse' the color to appear a dim white...It's fine? Not to point at my face oviously...But for the chance of reflection off some semi-reflective surface (like tile, it reflects but is very scattered)

So if my glasses are rated to 'defuse' the color to appear a dim white...It's fine? Not to point at my face oviously...But for the chance of reflection off some semi-reflective surface (like tile, it reflects but is very scattered)

I've never heard of glasses that "diffuse" light like that, and were not nearly opaque already. Do you have an example (like a link)?

jbtm

Every glasses i have ever seen, even cheap 3 dollar ones, diffuse the laser...My red ones make red lasers appear a dim white laser, where 200mw is as bright as a 1mw laser maybe. And my glasses for green lasers do the same thing, bluray and green lasers appear to be a white dim color. I've never seen or own a pair of glasses that didn't do this...And I currently own 3 different pairs of both red and green protection.

Heck, even 3D Red/Cyan glasses do the same results but the dot appears brighter. The whole point is that you can still see a very faint white dot so you can focus it to a very small dot for burning. Else your burning things blindly (no visible dot at all) which is stupid as it is...
http://killa-x.uuuq.com/lasir.JPG
http://killa-x.uuuq.com/lasblock.JPG
http://killa-x.uuuq.com/lasnormal.JPG

These block the IR and looks like it spreads the beam out too a little bit, diffraction

Last edited:
Stay on topic JellyCrab. You are trying to make every thread you are in about you.

Peace,
dave
And remove the damned avatar , Jelly, it's so EFFin annoying.
Put something laser related, like Dave. He is laser related.

On the other hand, that is, topic,
I have Eagle Pari EP5 that are caimed to protect from 200 to 450 nm (and from 800 - 2000), what can I expect from that?
Also, could one expect diode waveleght shift from temperature change, to get it above 450 nm - if somebody knows?

jbtm

Last edited:
I probably have the same ones you do. Because mine too block the same nm range, and they are orange tint. Nice glasses to make the outdoors bright :) Well, Mine doesnt do the 800-2000 :( Are yours the blue'ish ones?
No, yellow ones, pretty dark to look through, dark yellow color .
Block UV, bluray, some blue, IR - Now 445nm is just on the border - I guess I won't know until I see it myself, eh? ;)
EDIT - I see your addendum, well both resemble my glasses, except the ranges. Same carrying case, same shape of the frame (black rubber, very kampfy to wear :D )

Last edited:

jbtm

These look promising. Blue is 445nm which is graded OC4+ which is about 0.01% transmission.

And it blocks many many other ranges...Think they're worth it?
Multiple Wavelength

These look promising. Blue is 445nm which is graded OC4+ which is about 0.01% transmission.

Multiple Wavelength
THAT's the exact ones I have , at least judging by the ratings in the table provided, I recieved same table with my goggles.
And I recieved my goggles from Bill - he said he needed them no more.
He's the man.

Protected meh eyes for years of blue and violet lasers to come. Only thing I bought are Fucalprice $8 goggles.
Which are no good.

Asherz

I have set of DL's goggles and they seem to suffice, if they don't hold up too the blue beam for long I'll get a pair of the $80 goggles.

It might be worth everyone on the forum sending Kipkay a PM/Youtube message asking him to just mention safety in his videos, it really wouldn't be that much effort for him and it would keep ALOT of people safer, especially since his videos attract a lot of 12-16 year olds looking for cheap burning lazors. We don't have too mention the blue diodes, just that in future if he decides to make any new laser videos to mention goggles/basic safety techniques which we could list.

I personally really don't like the guy and he annoys me, but he did listen to us the 2nd/3rd time round about the laser needing a driver.

LSRFAQ

Multiple Wavelength[/QUOTE]

NO NO NON NO NO NO YNET !

What is a 4+ ??? No actual chart, and that broad a wavelength range is generally considered impossible!!!

This statement disturbs me:
Quote:

Please note before bidding that any medical equipment purchased should be completely tested by a qualified biomedical technician prior to being put into service

End quote.

You don't test a goggle for lifetime and dye fade with a short exposure and a graph from a spectrophotometer. True testing takes weeks of exposure to qualify a pair of goggles.

While looking better made then most, and the fact that they are a better quality "wrap-around" design the most, calling it OD4 from DC to Daylight with no qualifying graph is just plain wrong.

Steve

LSRFAQ

Not 100% sure, as I don't have OD8, but how much power do you think is reflected off the little bits of dust that allow you to see a beam normally? I can see the beam from my .9mw green HeNe in a dark room.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
At OD6, you should not be able to see anything at powers to a watt or watt and a half.

Calling Goggles OD 8 is a real recent thing, Its tough to measure densities greater then 6.5 with a conventional spectrometer, so I always question numbers higher then 6.5/

Steve

----------------------------------------------------------------------
At OD6, you should not be able to see anything at powers to a watt or watt and a half.

Calling Goggles OD 8 is a real recent thing, Its tough to measure densities greater then 6.5 with a conventional spectrometer, so I always question numbers higher then 6.5/

Steve
Well they are a very legitimate company. I would not expect THEM of all people to try and beef up their numbers.