Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

A message from our company

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toke

I don't get the 2500/3000 lumen part.

A LED will give you 100 lumen pr. Watt input, a theoretical green will give 600-some lumen at 1W.

Where does the 2500/3000 lumen from a LD with 5-6W input come from?
I mean, lumen is based on eye sensitivity, and 445nm is pretty low on that scale.

I got asked if mine were A13 or A14- and knew exactly what they meant-anybody not understanding that should, perhaps not be needing a diode.(ie a noob)

Also from a very reliable source i'm told the diodes were made in S. Korea-not china- also i would not be surprized if we found that both w/l and ol1ke etc are using the more economical A13-- if so it be very hard to distinguish any diff. by the average Joe.

lastly I have been told that packages in transit ATM from overseas are showing at tracking- "held by NON_CUSTOMS US Govt agency- what ever that means--anybody tracking a laser ATM with similar info-- especially if that hold has since been relaesed?ea

WHY is this happening?/- IMO the packages recently discovered with very nasty things inside and the controversy cause by w/l stupid promotion saying things like 'sets flesh on fire instantly' etc-- somebody in an agency is thinking that HP handhelds could be a serious weapon(especialy against pilots) and that thinking is not easy to debate--

my 0.02

hk

445 isn't low to our sensitivity. well to mine at least. and i've seen it at all different mw out puts. especially at dusk. my 445 kicks my greenies ass.

michael.

LSRFAQ

My call is legit. Why?

That reads like middle aged Jersey mom speak to me. Have a older women read that to you. It will click. Its not a fanboi taking, and its not a "fake" lawyer. It really sounds like a upset mom talking. One of those times when mom is making a suggestion, not a order. Public relations people are usually not English majors, that is reserved for the people who write Ads.

Thinking about this a bit, I Googled.

There is a Mary in the customer education department. Google Mary and the above phone number.

Steve

Last edited:

MojoLA

No way a letter like that was OK'd by any corporation, no way no way no way.

It does not have the generic tone of "PR speak" and I have worked and written for PR departments in the past.

If it is legit, it means Cas has absolutely no quality control on what is being sent out to the public.

In any case, I agree that a troll post should not be stickied, but there should be an "LPF FAQ" stickied and directed towards new members - one of the elements of said FAQ should be to remind people NOT to refer to them as Cas diodes, etc etc.

The rest of the FAQ should address people who's first post would be "Hi, I'm a noob and i want the cheapest, highest power laser to burn stuff with."

:p

Oh, and LSRFAQ: PR people ARE most def english majors!! What are you smoking? Much of the job is writing press releases and the #1 priority is to sound professional. The post that leads this thread does not in any way, shape or form. Find a few press releases online from different companies and you'll quickly see THIS one does not match.

Last edited:
My call is legit. Why?

That reads like middle aged Jersey mom speak to me. Have a older women read that to you. It will click. Its not a fanboi taking, and its not a "fake" lawyer. It really sounds like a upset mom talking. One of those times when mom is making a suggestion, not a order. Public relations people are usually not English majors, that is reserved for the people who write Ads.

There is a Mary in the customer education department. Google Mary and the above phone number.

Steve

Oh dear. 973-361-5400 is a general Casio number for a location. Call it, it has an automated menu that can send you to customer service, sales, HR, or directly to any person at the site, quite possibly any person who works for Casio world-wide, though I didn't try it. Not sure where that number came from, was it in the OP and deleted later or something? I see it in one post on a later page, but not in the OP.

I also googled "Mary 973-361-5400", and did indeed find a "Mary Jane Smith" that works for Casio, but she's NOT in any "customer education department", she's a marketing manager for Casio's education division, as in she sells calculators. "Casio Education" is a division that sells calculators, not some sort of division that educates customers on products. She has absolutely nothing to do with projectors.

I'm sure there are other people named Mary that work for Casio as well, it's practically assured when a company has over 12,000 employees.

Completely fake, no way a company would allow a message like that to be presented as official, company-sanctioned communications.

Hello.

As you people have likely noticed there is a lot of commotion regarding our company and its laser projectors.

I wouldnt even address a notice to a group of people as poorly as this and im not representing a MASSIVE corporation.

Blah...

Although the massive sale of these projectors has been quite profitable for our company, we cannot risk lawsuits filed by those idiotic persons who harm themselves or others with "casio lasers." To combat the problem we have made the diodes harder to extract with odd-head screws and thread locker; to stop average joe from disassembling the projectors.

Massive sales for this purpose is quite unlikely. DIY laser enthusiasts make up a VERY SMALL portion of the community and each projector provides 24 diodes...not massive sales. I also highly doubt they have any data on the amount of sales volume used for this purpose as that would be near impossible to gather. Furthermore if the sales were massive and "quite profitable" it would not be something a PR person would mention as it shows a conflict of interest.

A PR person will not know the processes they used to make them harder to extract. The technicians and any user on this forum would.

All of this has left us with few choices, and one is to come to this forum and ask the people here stop selling "casio lasers" to incompetent persons. We are not upset that you are disassembling the projectors for personal use of the diodes, since anyone intelligent enough to build their own laser likely knows how to use it responsibly. However there many imbeciles out there who will buy a laser online and point it at an airplane or a car for a quick laugh. Although there is nothing we can do to stop them directly, we can ask that you people use these lasers responsibly and not tarnish our company name. Sell these homemade lasers to only people who you trust to do the right thing, and do not market them as "casio lasers".

This is the weakest legal protection strategy I have ever heard of. "only to people who you trust" come on people no serious attempt to protect the company would include such a naive statement. Not to mention this would be a statement endorsing the use of these diodes in this fashion by C@$!0 which they would or at least should avoided like the plague.

All the best,
Mary - Casio PR.

all in all it reads exactly like someone who speaks English fluently but doesnt understand the nature of the situation. I.e. the exact opposite person C@$!0 would give this job... or much more likely a guy between 16-24 who used a proxy server to pretend to represent a company on an issue that is currently very hot on this forum.

Edit:
Took me like six tries to get this darn formatting right haha sorry if you read it before I got it ironed out. It would have been hard to make sense of.

Last edited:

MojoLA

I think we've established the post is bull but we all agree with the sentiment regardless - let's not call them Cas diodes, just 445nm diodes.

I don't know that we need 3 more pages of debunking.

CHP

You can see how Casio is sweating the laser safety issues by expending cost and manpower to develop methods to hinder laser diode removal. The need for product modifications most likely originated from their legal department trying to distance themselves from future liability by showing that they proactively developed reasonable means to prevent removal of the laser diodes, and that in most cases these means prevented themselves from actually repairing their own product.

So maybe we take another approach. Contact Casio and explain that we recognize that they do not want their name associated with these lasers. Explain that people here are educated in laser safety and new non-Casio names are being used to identify these laser diodes. Also, explain that we will not develop and publish methodologies to defeat their new measures of encapsulating their lasers in exchange for the ability to purchase the laser diodes directly from them or their supplier (they may have a contract with the supplier the prohibits them from selling these lasers to anyone else) using one LPF named distributor that signs an indemnification agreement that holds Casio free from liability.

Or maybe not

My call is legit. Why?

Steve

Well... Guess we know who wrote it now at least.

There's been a lot of smoke and talk here on this topic. Take the good advice and let the rest die quietly -- REALLY.
This is just a diode. Now stop this wasted bandwidth.

HMike

too much drama on LPF anymore ....... PHOOY

Last edited:
I don't get the 2500/3000 lumen part.

That's not per diode, that's per projector. That takes into account all the laser light, the phosphor light, and the LED light. It MIGHT even be the rating BEFORE the light is chopped up with the optical system because the tests I've seen show that the light output isn't that high. I remember it being closer to 1700Lm on high, but don't quote me on that.

a theoretical green will give 600-some lumen at 1W.
1W output, not 1W input.

Status
Not open for further replies.