Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

$8 Green goggles and Scopeguy's BR goggles

Grix

There is so many $8 focalprice goggle reviews out there, so I'm keeping this part short. These goggles blocks everything I've pointed at them. There is not any visible green light coming through these goggles that I've seen. I'm very happy with them. They work very well for blu-ray too.

O-like 150mW without goggles:

SANY0040.jpg

With goggles, there is only a small IR dot visible to the camera. To the naked eye it's literaly nothing:

SANY0041.jpg

O-like 100mW Bluray through the goggles. There is a very faint dot visible to the naked eye, but that dot is more red-ish than violet, strange..
Without goggles:

SANY0042.jpg

With goggles:

SANY0043.jpg

Now, for the scopeguy goggles sold here: http://laserpointerforums.com/f64/yellow-goggles-blu-ray-blocking-43262.html

They are exactly the same as the focalprice goggles except with a yellowish plastic instead of red.

These works alright. They block some light, but there's also light slipping through. Mine seems to work worse than the pictures in the thread above suggests, take a look at this:

SANY0044.jpg

Now, I do not have a LPM, so I cannot know how many mW this is, but I cannot feel the heat or anything from the dot on my skin, so it's low. But I can't really say more than that. BUT, I know this: The $8 goggles from focalprice blocks way more 405nm than the scopeguy ones.

That's it.

nice comparison,strange that more blu-ray pass through glenn's goggles.for me glenn's goggles block almost the same amount of my 8x.(focal price a bit better)

Interesting (if not conclusive) results! +1

I'd be interested to get Glenn's take on this...

That's odd. When I bought a pair of scopeguy's glasses I had asked if he tested them individually and he said:
Hey Friend thanks, Yes i test each with a BR laser and my LPM. It's not the same as the testing they do at places like OEM Laser Systems, but it helps to be more sure the OD is good for ur <250 mW BR lasers.

Plus, your BR laser is weaker than the one he shows in his pictures.

When my BR lasers come in, I'll be sure to see how much gets through my pair of scope's glasses before I use them to protect my eyes.

EDIT: My lasers came in today. Never seen a BR laser before today, so I can't say how powerful they are. But they do seem very bright. Shining them through scopeguy's glasses makes the dot probably about 60-70% dimmer.

Last edited:
The story with these focalprice goggles keeps getting stranger...My results in my review are rather different than yours, especially with the green. My "50mW" (actual output from 70-90mW) still has a visible, albeit very faint, dot when shone through each of my three pairs of goggles individually...So either your 150mW was under-performing when you did these tests, or the OD of these cheap goggles REALLY varies a lot...I guess the only conclusion we can draw right now is that the focalprice goggles are pretty inconsistent? I might buy another pair just to see if it's significantly different than the three I own now...

I purchased 2 goggles from Glenn.
Each came in a different packaging.
One pair blocked 100% of the light (ok, maybe 99% but no violet light transmission was visible with a 150mW or 480mW violet laser).
The other pair passed <5mW from a 150mW violet (tested on a power meter).

I discussed this with Glenn and if my memory serves me right I was told that all the ones he had in his remaining stock blocked ~100%.

I think his supplier may have shipped out 2 different types.
I (and you) probably just received a pair from the "bad" batch.

Personally it does not bother me since <5mW is passed, and it helps to be able to see a little of the violet light so I know where I'm pointing.
The "better" pair blocks so much violet, even from my 12X, that only the fluorescence is visible... so when I'm pointing on a surface that does not fluoresce, it is nearly invisible.

Howdy All I happen to like the ones Glenn is selling the best, I have both but like Glenn's because I can see more with them, the other darker ones realy block more of the light and change it's color more.
The ones Glenn sells are much lighter and you can see all things better with them !
I thought I would run a little test with a blu-ray laser and both safety glasses and my laserbee LPM ;)
nv4jgj.jpg

So here is what I found :
While shining the laser directly on the LPM sensor I regestered 77mW after 15 seconds. So I put the darker redish safety glasses in the path of the beam and the reading went to 0 and there is only a very faint hint of the beam hitting the LPM sensor.
Then I put the yellow glasses I got from Glenn in the path of the beam and the reading went to 0 and you could plainly see a weak blu-ray beam hitting the LPM sensor.
eq5qw5.jpg

this picture taken while the laser is shining through the yellow glasses and hitting the LPM sensor, showing zero mW.
214e88n.jpg

My conclusition while the lighter yellow safety glasses will let more visible light through than the darker redish saftey glasses will they let no more harmfull power through and as such seem to be doing the job very well :D
I think I will buy an other pair from Glenn for my guest glasses and keep the darker ones as back-up.
Good day All...

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing, Flaminpyro.
I did the same test and had the same results.

Hopefully Glenn can find another supplier that can provide some goggles that are just as good (I think he is close to sold out at the moment) as I like them too and may be getting one more pair.

I bought a pair each of the yellow and red. They look exactly the same as in FlaminPyro's pictures, except the color of the lenses is little different than what shows on my screen (acer 17 inch calibrated with Spyder3Elite). My red is a little less "blood" tint, but still a deep red.

My cat promptly stole and hid my red lensed goggles, but the yellow-lensed ones are great at blocking BR. Shining my laser through the lens provides a significant decrease in radiation.

As soon as I got these, I had a friend come over to test these out. I had shown him this laser once before, and he immediately complained about pressure in his eyeballs, so I decided not to show off my lasers anymore. When Glenn's goggles came in, I invited him over to show off the lasermore safely. He was amazed at how effective these goggles were. Even looking at a focused dot 4 to 6 inches away from his face didn't feel at all uncomfortable, when before, looking at an unfocused dot on the wall 10ft away was painful.

Thanks for all your comments. I still think most all the red lens goggles will block more 405nm than the yellow, but in order to see things fluoresce, the glow is nearly always seen w/ the yellow lens, and may be hard to see or undetected w/ the red lens. I think for protection especially at well over 200mW it would be best to use the red lenses, but I still use the yellow, carefully, most of all. And please remember, it is best to always be cautious. Like a helmet is not made to protect from all possible impacts, the use of goggles helps, but is not a way to banish all possibility of eye damage, so sober thinking & care is always needed. -Glenn