Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

583.8nm and 589nm, the golden brothers

Sta

Hello folks!
Since I recently got another 589 (instead of the intended 561), I decided to make some images of 589 and 583.8 before my 100mW 589 PGL-III-C possibly gets sent off.

As you all know, 589nm is a really cool color - but 583.8 is a league above it.
583.8nm, the 'mid-cold' line of my Spartan, is a really special color, in part because only two people - myself and ultimatekaiser - are known to have it.
The other reason is that it's one of the most beautiful laser wavelengths ever.
Indoors, it's a pure, lemony yellow. Outdoors at night, it's a striking, sun-like gold.

The unfortunate thing is that 583.8 isn't a stable line.
My DragonLasers Spartan which emits it seems to have five wavelength-modes:

1. Very cold (<7°C): pure 589. If run for more than 1 minute or so it will slowly shift to:
2. Cold: Multiline emission. In this mode, it outputs 532, an unidentified yellow, 583.8, 586.2, 589, 591, and flashes of 593.5 and two unknown lines in between the yellows. Gradually, over the course of approximately 2 minutes and 30 seconds, the lines "burn off", except for:
3. Mid-cold: 583.8. This is what I described earlier. During this time - if it was started up in mode 1 or 2, about 90 seconds - it is the only visible line. The power steadily increases to around 100mW. Then, suddenly, it immediately jumps to:
4. Room temperature: 589/532. This is the most powerful mode, reaching up to 162mW at times. Of course, the 532 is only on the order of microwatts. After approximately 1 minute, the 532 fades out, and we're left with:
5. Warm: Only 589; this is the stable mode; it will run until the batteries die or the laser is turned off and allowed to cool.

All of these modes, evidently, will last longer in cold weather, due to cooling effects. When started up after a long rest, it'll typically start in mode 3, then jumps to mode 4 after about 30-40 seconds. I have never seen it shift down a mode while running.

Regardless, you can see that it's really quite an idiosyncratic device, and you can also see that I know the damn thing like the back of my scarred hand. :crackup:

The PGL-III-C 589, however, just doesn't care.
The thing is going to emit 589, and only 589, no matter what kind of conditions you throw it into.
And it's also going to stay around 100mW the whole time.

Anyways, since you've read all of this (or skipped over it :D), here are some pictures!

These few were taken with the Spartan, running 589, in the morning fog.

MokxXEsl.jpg

iFBZltUl.jpg

RMKvWrvl.jpg

M8Labj4l.jpg

Here's some 583.8nm, with a diffraction grating, in some artificial fog.

YxrIkCrl.jpg

Savb4Lcl.jpg

The PGL-III-C, on a cloudy afternoon:

Oo0Env4l.jpg

Szygm6jl.jpg

poBWdlKl.jpg

Using the Force:

RA0SfKVl.jpg

A cup of plasma:

hpYhk6ol.jpg

A comparison at night (fairly accurate, but not intense enough colors)

el4xDWvl.jpg

Blades crossed, 583.8/589. The reflection on the desk in the second one is actually really close to the actual appearance.

iKKrzDgl.jpg

JfatrpPl.jpg

I hope you enjoyed this little image-set!

:beer:

Last edited:

Really nice pics! :drool: I can see the 583.8 nm is a sort of banana colour; a yellow with touch of green. Thanks for sharing!! :beer:

Sta

Really nice pics! :drool: I can see the 583.8 nm is a sort of banana colour; a yellow with touch of green. Thanks for sharing!! :beer:
Thanks!! :D
There's actually no green in 583.8! It can be anywhere from a banana yellow to a sunny gold.
Any green you're seeing is just the work of the camera.
The lowest-WL yellow in its multiline mode, however, does have just a slight hint of green in it.
583.8 is still my favorite. :beer:

Fantastic comparison pics STA.
Love those beautiful beams and how cool is that 583.8nm !!

Also what a beautiful property, gorgeous outdoor surroundings.
Thanks for sharing mate, +Rep for you.

RB

:beer:

BobMc

Those are some awesome pictures! Simply beautiful. Haven't seen such yellow like that before. Stunning!

Reactions: Sta

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Beautiful pictorial, Sta! Those yellow siblings of yours are looking really fine.
I never knew a lasers identity crisis could be so cool! :D
:kewlpics: thanks for sharing.

Nice pics.

How did you determine that it's 583.8nm? Did you spectro it yourself?

Thanks!! :D
There's actually no green in 583.8! It can be anywhere from a banana yellow to a sunny gold.
Any green you're seeing is just the work of the camera.
The lowest-WL yellow in its multiline mode, however, does have just a slight hint of green in it.
583.8 is still my favorite. :beer:

nah, it does have some green in it. I noticed it also long ago. its what prompted me to check mine in the first place. but only just barely. Mine kinda runs a split of all, and gradually power moves from 583 to 586 then jumps suddenly to 589. probably has something to do with the cavity length and mirrors changing with the temperature as it heats up.

Last edited:

Sta

nah, it does have some green in it. I noticed it also long ago. its what prompted me to check mine in the first place. but only just barely. Mine kinda runs a split of all, and gradually power moves from 583 to 586 then jumps suddenly to 589. probably has something to do with the cavity length and mirrors changing with the temperature as it heats up.

Actually, you're right, Kaiser! 583.8 does have a very tiny amount of green in it under certain conditions. :)

Makes me think the crystals in it are choosing to amplify different lines based on their precise temperature... Also on that same line of thought, makes me wonder if a lab 589 could have the TEC temps adjusted to put out different yellow wavelengths such as that 584 line which looks very stunning.
Now if only 589 labbys were more affordable..
I love the stability and divergence on my 473nm labby and would die to get a yellow with similar characteristics.
Guess I will just have to save and get a spartan with my tax return for now..

Makes me think the crystals in it are choosing to amplify different lines based on their precise temperature... Also on that same line of thought, makes me wonder if a lab 589 could have the TEC temps adjusted to put out different yellow wavelengths such as that 584 line which looks very stunning.

It arises from the mirrors not being narrow-band enough. When they are chilled it probably just makes the problem worse. For those who know how dielectric mirrors are made-its an ever ongoing struggle to get them the way you want. Probably just a botched batch of mirrors, among a bunch of other unique things all adding up.