Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

520nm diodes - new kid on the block - More powah

Hey all.

I opened this thread to share something I found, that people may not be aware of.

First of all. Everything is speculation. The only way to confirm this info, is buying the diodes.

I think everyone here knows the PL520's. They cost $85 on DTR Laser Shop. Fine.
Its a 50mW rated diode, running @ 118mW at DTR tests. Thats overdriving the diode by... 136%??

So I found another diode... The PLP520 (by osram).
The two variants, B1 and B2, are 120mW and 90mW diodes, respectively.
The divergence is not bad, @ 7x23 (his lower power brother, PL520, = 7x22).

Judging by the capabilities of the PL520 (50mW diodes), we assume a 136% overdrive potential on the PLP520 (I know.. this may be wrong, but anyways), so..

The B1 variant could achieve 283mW of 520nm light,
and the B2 variant could achieve 212mW of 520nm light.

I found both the variants @ $90 and $120.

B2 Link here!
B1 Link here!

I think techhood made a mess with the pricing... one should contact him.

Maybe this is a new diode... ~250mW of 520nm would look amazing...

:thanks: for reading.

Datasheet link

EDIT:
Techhood swapped the names when creating the ebay pages. The title says "B1 90mw", but according to the datasheets, the B1 variant = 120mW, and B2 = 90mW. So lets call 'em like this (B1 for the 120mW diode) so we won't get lost :beer:

Last edited:

Tmack

Re: 520nm diodes - More powah

I was looking at tech hoods stock an saw these as well. Was curios as to their details.

Need 10 volunteers to guinea pig these! Nose goes :shhh:

You sure? You'd think the seller would use the right pics for it.

If the seller is... those are some damn ugly 5.6mm diodes.

I would be one but I'm out of money. Can't spend on lasers now.... :cryyy:.

Heres a tip: @ $90 a B2 costs as much as a PL520 @ DTR's shop, and maybe Techhood will lower prices upon requests... we just need to ask and offer him to review the diode on LPF :eg:

edit:
@ZRaffleticket
The B1 and B2 names seems to be swapped. It don't really matters though, as long Robinson (techhood) send the right diodes.

Last edited:

SKeeZ

Well, Those diodes look great. I did notice that you mixed up the names and prices but that doesn't matter so much i guess.

It is concerning that the seller (TechHood) used the same pictures with both.

I did manage to find both of their Data Sheets so it appers to be ligitimate.
120mW B2 AND 90mW B1 Datasheet.

If The aforementioned proportion of a 136% Overdrive is true, These diode does seem like it would be capable of these high powers.
It should also be mentioned that DTR pushed the PL520 Diode to 200% of the recommended operating current which if translated to the B2
(being recomended @ 480mA) would result in a maximum operating current of 960mA, That being said, i would advise anyone to not push
the B2 over 800mA.

My Hopes for this diode and the LPF community are that DTR picks one of these up, likes it, and sells it alone side the PL520. In
The mean time, Those prices look highly descent. If I still am able to remember this after christmas, I will be able to test it with my
Lab PSU and an LPM, similar to how DTR tested the PL520.

I Make no promises but this certainly is a great find.

Last edited:

Great. It is 5.6mm, which makes me think people will feel more confident soldering on those..
Lets just imagine a pair of those running @ 250mW each, PBS combined. :drool:.

0,5W @ 520nm, before optics!

Maybe techhood can shed us some light on this laser diode... I've asked some peak powers later and he said he "tested" some models before selling. No 136% overdrive though.

Last edited:

I have been praying and waiting for the diode that powerful, after reading about 250mW 520nm diode and - yes - 10 WATTS (!) 455nm diodes on Osram's press page.

520nm Emerald Green laser diode became my instant favorite after obtaining 50mW version from DTR - much better color (to me) than yucky 532nm green laser (which would turn to yellow to dark-adapted eyes).

Yes! Now this is what I've been waiting for!
I bought the B2. This better be good...
I'm not planning on overdriving this diode, BTW. 120mW is fine with me!

Hooray that these are finally here-someone posted the datasheet several weeks ago, before the diodes were released. I wish i had money to put two of them into the dual diode pen i designed...500mW of 520 would be ***y :whistle:

532 certainly seems more yellow when compared side by side with 520. I too love the color and would love to see stronger diodes, even multimode ones. that reminds me, there are multimode 405nm dodes too that could much more easily attain 1W than the common single mode ones we've been using. these two might be my favorite wavelengths

damn, every time I snag something, it's not long 'till they come out with one better. I suppose such is the nature of the hobby. too bad there is no major market demand yet for direct diode yellow wavelengths

I've never seen 520nm really, but the pictures are making me insane already....

Yes! Now this is what I've been waiting for!
I bought the B2. This better be good...
I'm not planning on overdriving this diode, BTW. 120mW is fine with me!

120mW @ 340mA. BUT the sheets say 480mA maximum... Why not more? ;)
You sir, have a LPM? Results would be interesting... I dare you achieving 250mW. :angel:

@Shakenawake
Thats the nature of tecnology... and laser diodes are evolving very fast, thats why. :beer:
Its just like processors and cellphones.

Last edited:

I've never seen 520nm really, but the pictures are making me insane already....

120mW @ 340mA. BUT the sheets say 480mA maximum... Why not more? ;)
You sir, have a LPM? Results would be interesting... I dare you achieving 250mW. :angel:

Meh... I might take it to 150mW or about 400mA - whichever comes first.
My goal is stability and a long life. Balloon popping and bragging rights are at the bottom of the list. That's what the 445s are for, right?

Hey, I haven't tried out the PL 520s but it seems that recent diodes dim under high current instead of blowing up. Is that true for the PL 520s? If so, perhaps the same would be true of these higher power versions?
Then maybe I won't be afraid to crank up the power temporarily...

True. Laser diodes are produced on lithography, the same process used to produce CPUs and chips, so that way you have tight control over the laser diode / VCSEL production.

Also, the nature of this process at this point is largely a trial and error.

Eagerly watching this.

Meh... I might take it to 150mW or about 400mA - whichever comes first.
My goal is stability and a long life. Balloon popping and bragging rights are at the bottom of the list. That's what the 445s are for, right?

Hey, I haven't tried out the PL 520s but it seems that recent diodes dim under high current instead of blowing up. Is that true for the PL 520s? If so, perhaps the same would be true of these higher power versions?
Then maybe I won't be afraid to crank up the power temporarily...

I read somewhere that the laser die degrades pretty fast @ higher powers (cannot recall where), maybe lasting a couple hours if fully overdriven (around 136% as I read...). So, with a $120 diode, I'd not run it over datasheets specifications.

I think the obvious is to run it cool/not abuse it, so efficiency and wavelengths drift to more desirable values.

You have all rights to brag with a 250mW 520nm though... tempting.... :p

edit:
@RA_Pierce
You could ask (mail) techhood about this diode uh? Peak power, if it dims or burns out, and assure he will send you the right variant (120mW rated, not 90mW one). ;)

Last edited:
Diodes that's driven hard can only die cold or hot, depending on its mood. By the time you notice that the diode's suffering, it's already curtain for it. Damages typically occur rapidly depending on diode die temperature or optical density at the facet mirrors.

I would recommend to be easy on expensive diodes - I would rather fry cheap 780nm diodes than a shiny new 520nm diode, to be frank.