Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

473 and 445 nm laser diodes?

Yes, absolutely available, but still prohibitively expense for hobbyists/enthusiasts.  They've been around for a little while now, but aren't being used in anything mass produced...yet.  They'll eventually be in things like RGB projectors and televisions.  They're still not perfect, not nearly as good or as cheap to make yet as the violet (405nm), but they exist and will get better, as people are working on making them better every day.  There will also be green laser diodes in the near future, as well.  How near?  Who knows, but hopefully within the next five years or so (at least from my point of view).

edit: read your other threads. Cost may not be too much of an issue, but diode 445 and 473 are going to be very expensive, and only really available in engineering samples, probably in the arena of multiple thousands of dollars for just the single diode. They're also not going to be nearly as sturdy as 405 is: definitely more heat-sensitive and probably more sensitive to all other environmental factors as well, like static, physical shock, etc. I would be too worried about it breaking to try to put it into something usable for lab work, and especially if it's going to be used in something mission-critical.

yeah, I emailed them and they won't resell the individual diodes even though I am with a university....physics dept. Who would they sell too? Is there another source for these laser diodes? I could really use a 473nm LD even if it does cost a few thousand.

I saw somewhere there was a 500mW 445nm diode... I cant remember where it was from. :(

Ummmm, yeah, engineering samples from companies that make them is going to be your only option for a diode.  Nichia http://www.nichia.com/product/laser-main.html has 473 in engineering samples, 20mW.  Some other companies may too.  

If DPSS is ok, several places sell DPSS pointers and lab modules at 473, like Laserglow http://www.laserglow.com/index.php.  

Or a gas laser line in the area would certainly be possible.  If it has to be a diode, an engineering sample from a company like Nichia is really the only way to go.  

EDIT: If you university happens to have materials department, or a group in another department that is actively researching lasers, they may be able to make you one. This is pretty unlikely, however; there aren't a lot of universities with groups that have the capability to make such laser diodes.

A diode would be ideal, a small heat sunk DPSS unit would be ok, but not ideal.  How does one go about obtaining an engineering sample?  Simply email them and request one - does this actually work for anyone?

I sent them a request, now I will sit back and see if they reply.

LikeitBright said:
A diode would be ideal, a small heat sunk DPSS unit would be ok, but not ideal.  How does one go about obtaining an engineering sample?  Simply email them and request one - does this actually work for anyone?

I sent them a request, now I will sit back and see if they reply.
You usually pay for it.

Here is what I have so far

1. PRICE
Currently unit prices for the minimum shipping quantity (1 piece) are as
follows:

- Violet 405 nm
NDV4313 (120mW) : JPY220000/each
NDHV220APA (Transverse multi-mode 200mW) : JPY260000/each

- Blue 445 nm
NDHB510APA (50mW) : JPY310000/each
NDB7112E (Transverse multi-mode 500mW) : JPY310000/each

- Aqua Marine 473 nm
NDHA210APAE1 (20mW) : JPY310000/each

- UV 375 nm
NDU1113E (20mW) : JPY310000/each

Above price include Freight by courier. Standard lead time 2 weeks.
In accordance with bigger shipping quantities, appropriate discounts shall be applied.

rangedunits said:
oh i missed a zero.. Makes quite a difference.

Heh, I saw yours and was trying to think how I could come up with $300 by wednesday, then after thinking it was too good to be true, I checked it.

Alas, it was too good to be true. :p