Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

445nm Lens Comparisons!

Re: 445nm A130 Lens Comparisons!

I'm so pumped with this new diode! :D

It's better than I hoped for! :cool:

I just set up a conservative setting of 475mA's with my 18650 build, using a copper (press fit) heatsink design for the lens comparisons. (Micro BoostDrive)

* Micro BoostDrive
* 475mA's
* 545mA's battery current draw

The stock projector lens is 6mm... This is the same size as the AixiZ glass lens. Which is maller in diameter than the 405-G-1.

Lenses compared:

* Stock projector lens: 352mW's - Wide spreading thin wings... not desirable.
* 405-G-1: 360mW's - Not too bad... same side splash but much more noticeable than with blu-ray because of the visibility of the 445...
* AixiZ 405 glass: 315mW's - This is the one for me! Very nice clean dot! (better than I had hoped for anyway) Still fairly good power.

The dot comparisons are at about 7' distance...

Note: My camera picks up the color as kind of violet, but it is probably because of the brightness and the white wall or something...

The 445 diode is a very nice blue! :cool:

The only problem is that these AixiZ 405 glass lenses are mounted in a nut that has only half of the nut threaded. So I will be re-mounting the optics from this lens assembly into a nut with full length threads so that I can use the AixiZ focus ring...

Also, I tested the AixiZ 405 glass lens for how it looked at a distance of 70', and it can be focused to a nice dot. I think that for best all around pointing, I would say that best visual dot at 50 feet or so, will give a good all around dot. It will be elongated at close distance, but not too bad really... (IMO)

Hey Jay....

:gj: on the Lens tests... looks like we're in the right direction
for those new 455nm LDs..
Thanks.....

Jerry

Maybe but with the right lens ;) That one says "600-800nm" wavelength up to 5 Watts. This is 445nm :D
It even says "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The coatings are not suitable for blue or violet light" :p

Nice try Jay :p
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Was that the diode I sent? If so, holy crap that was fast

Sounds like I'll have to order some of those 405 lenses - what is the power compared to an aixiz acrylic?

Last edited:

Thanks for this info Jay :thanks:

Someone linked me that ebay item awhile ago on laserchat. Never bothered to look at the wavelength

Sounds like I'll have to order some of those 405 lenses - what is the power compared to an aixiz acrylic?

no.

It's the one I sent him in trade.

It looks like a lens for 445 will need to be developed. I wonder if we could get Aixis to use teh same lens shape but coat it for 445nm. There's got to be a way to get the better dot with the higher output.

jayrob

It looks like a lens for 445 will need to be developed. I wonder if we could get Aixis to use teh same lens shape but coat it for 445nm. There's got to be a way to get the better dot with the higher output.

Possibly there will come such a lens, but in the mean time, the AixiZ 405 glass is very nice for just getting right to business! :)

Jay, so you did not get a long oval dot? Multimode dot @ that distance?

The dot will be elongated at any distance when it is out of focus. But with the AixiZ 405 glass lens, you can focus it to a dot at normal pointing distance... At 70', yes, it will be slightly elongated...

If you examine it closely with eye protection, you can see that it is actually a 'line'. I updated my first post...

For a lens right off the shelf, personally I think it's fine...

The beam can be seen in room light at 300mW's! :)

Last edited:

aXit

These lenses are nice actually, the half thread doesn't bother me.

I just epoxied a focus ring to the non-threaded end.

So, Jayrob, will the lens assemblies for aixiz 405 glass still be 27$?
Oh and I edited the post with the graph in the other thread. That was mariomasters laser not rangedunits.
I'll add yours results on the graph to jayrob. Feel free to post your results in that thread too.

lol, stupid me disassembled my aixiz 405 thinking the supplied lens would work best. :yabbem:

Now I can't reassemble it correctly.:cryyy:

From the pics it looks like the stock lens inculded is spherical, this means they would not work good for most applications needing a collimated beam.

jayrob

So, Jayrob, will the lens assemblies for aixiz 405 glass still be 27$?
Oh and I edited the post with the graph in the other thread. That was mariomasters laser not rangedunits.
I'll add yours results on the graph to jayrob. Feel free to post your results in that thread too.

I believe we can get the AixiZ 405 glass lenses with the full length threaded nuts direct from AixiZ that way... Just waiting for them to get back to me... However, they will stick out the front of an AixiZ module some. If you wanted a really clean look, it would have to be a custom module. (or custom press fit heatsink) Or just set the AixiZ module farther back into the heatsink. (adjusted position with the set screw) Another way to clean up the look, is to fit the build with a custom EzFocus adapter! :)

Yes, I wanted to know too.

@ jayrob, could you post a picture of how the dot looks like with an acrylic aixiz lens?
Also, what driver did you use to power the diode?

Last edited: